[FR] Heroes of the Vilhon Reach II (updated 3/6!)

Malachai_rose

First Post
Afraid ?!? Benito afraid ?!? Lol okay, maybe just a tiny (read huge) bit :) I mean it was kind of like being on Hoth when Vader unleashed the might of the Empire on poor Han and Luke and the rest of the gang. Well I am looking forward to the next few since I think the way it wound up was very cool... in a death of thousands kind of way, heh.

Last edited:

Broccli_Head

Explorer
7-8 Tarsakh, Year of Rogue Dragons The Beginning of the End, part IV

Grim ran as fast as his halfling legs could carry him. He jumped over fallen soldiers and rubble and then tumbled past the Inquisitor and Sergei who supported each other in the trek towards the sword. Shouts echoed through the castle as Grim imagined Lord Bron's men were mustering to face the threat of the dragon. The occasional rumbling of the very stones of the High Keep reminded him that the large green lizard that had decimated the Cormyrean guards upstairs was not finished. He stifled a whimper of fear and shook his head.

Time to find Big Brother and have him make like a tree so we can leave!

Yondalla smiles on her children.

Grim exited the stairs in time to see Ellysidell lay a resounding SMACK! on some she-elf that sent her collapsing to the ground. Other elves lay strewn about the room (and curiously, some were stuffed in the fireplace), and he saw men wearing Lord Bron's livery fighting elves and men...who wore Black Talon colors. He drew his weapons and made ready to finish Ell's foe.

Hold Grim! he heard the Souliess shout in his head. She is our prisoner, and now she is Ellysidell's...well follower

Grim dropped out of his shadows and gave Ellysidell a sneer.

"Quick, little brother, help me force healing down her throat. I do not wish my first convert to the cause of Fenmarel Mestarine to die!"

Grim hesitated but reluctantly agreed. The other skimishes had left the banquet hall and an ominous silence pervaded the body-filled room.

Grim screamed in everyone's head GET OUT OF HERE! IT'S COMING!"

And on cue, the green wyrm crashed through the ceiling.

It seemed like an eternity, while in actuality it was less than three heartbeats that it took Benito to break free of the elven Shadow adept's dark well. He held up Mano and called upon Tyr to break the enchantments of his elusive foe. It did not blast away his invisibilty but it did free Khirin al-D'hib from the grip of the Well of Shadows. Khirin shook off the cobwebs and saw Benito cast a searing light at no one. He snapped his fingers and called upon Waukeen to purge what was hidden in the room.

The Shadow adept appeared and was suddenly very vulnerable. It did not take long for the clerics, in tandem, to send him to his death. Making sure the Starym Moonblade was secure back in her cell, Benito flew back to help Ivan while Khirin remained, crossbow at the ready, in front of the cell. Khirin ignored the blade as it 'screamed' at him in frustration and anger.

"Milady, you will remain in your cage and you will like it," Khirin said looking over his shoulder.

The cracks in the blade pulsed even more, still impotent against Khirin's mind-protecting magic.

Sergei and the limping Inquisitor peered into the banquet hall. The dragon had beat them and now lay in their path. Sergei wracked his brain. There was no other way that he knew to get to the dungeon. They had to go through the dragon.

He looked at the Inquisitor. The young acolyte held the anti-magic sword case tightly. Sergei pointed to himself and then at the dragon. He pointed at the priest and at one of the side entrances. The priest nodded knowingly, and cast a healing spell on Sergei to aid him.

Ancestors, guide my blade!

The mute Kozakuran charged the dragon. The reptile breathed. Caustic gas filled the room and the fallen bodies sizzled as the heavy substance settled.

Grim peering from a side room, slammed the door and shook his head.

We gotta get out of here and quick, Big Brother!

The wild elven female was unconscious. Ell was not even near full strength. Souliess was uninjured, but was running low in mental power. Grim pointed to a back door forcefully.

Ellysidell was torn, but seeing his new charge unable to continue on her own nodded his head. Carrying the wild elf, Ell led the way out from the room and after a short hall found a garden. The sounds of battle and the smell of smoke assaulted his senses. This High Tower was lost. He hoped his friends still lived.

"Souliess, can you escape on your own?"

The psionic wolverine nodded.

"Then meet us at the Temple of Eldath when the smoke clears."

Souliess teleported to the dungeon entrance.

Ellysidell grabbed Grim and sunk into the nearest tree, then jumped from tree to tree until he was outside the castle walls. Grim shook himself loose, unnerved by the experience and began running. Ell followed him through the streets and alleys. In the early morning, streams of people were already heading towards the gates. Finally, crossing the river after an ardorous romp avoiding contact from anything that moved, Ellysidell and Grim, found a secluded bower. Grim went to sleep while Ell watched.

His heart sunk as he looked back towards the spires of Irieabor. Two more green dragons circled the High Tower.

The inquisitor covered his face as the dragon's breath weapon spilled into the banquet's anteroom where he and Sergei had hid. Coughing but undamaged he peered into the hall, the lingering gas stinging his eyes. Somehow Sergei had survived and even now was fighting against the dragon.

The dragon screamed in rage as the swordsmaster slashed deeply into its neck with his katana. The inquisitor wasted no more time. He sprinted as best he could towards the entrance and made it unscathed. Fortunately, the lizard was concentrating on his lastest victim.

Sergei was surprised that he had lasted his long and saw the priest make it across the void. One of the dragon's claws ripped across his chest, tearing the mithral links as if they were paper. He spun away avoiding the other claw. Unfortunately, this exposed him to the creature's mouth. Sword-sized teeth dug into his shoulder. Sergei screamed silently and wriggled with all his strength. He heard his shoulder bone snap and saw a chunk of his own flesh in the dragon's teeth, but he was free.

He ignored the pain and tumbled away, but the dragon gave him a parting gift and tore more skin from his leg.

Looking back he saw the dragon attempt to reach into the hall and grab them, loosening more stones from the already unstable building. Rubble began to fall around them and the dragon stuck its snout blindly into the hall to breath the deadly gas again. The pair limped faster.

Behind the dragon the elven lich floated into the ruin that had become the banquet hall. He (it still regarded itself as a he) surveyed the chaos that Eldereth Veluthra had caused and was pleased. His servants had caused enough destruction to the man-building that it made the wards against undead ineffective. He landed and began walking calmly towards the dungeon. Some oppostition came against him but he blasted them into cinders and continued calmly towards his objective. Unfortunately, nothing ever went as planned. The moonblade should have already been recovered, but...

"If you want to do things right, you have to do them yourself," said the lich to no one in particular, blowing another human soldier apart as it dared to attack him.

"The Black Talons have attacked the High Tower. They seem to be in league with these elves," reported Lord Bron to Ivan and Benito as they cleaned their weapons on the carcasses of the fallen elven warriors. Benito was also administering to Ivan, his men and the Shields who had remained here with Lord Bron.

"There is also a large green dragon, and there are reports of two smaller ones."

"So what now, Lord Bron. How long can we hole up down here and then re-take the High Tower?" asked Benito.

Lord Bron placed his hand on his chin and began to think.

Benito and Ivan couldn't help but feel a little guilty bringing this doom to their host's castle. Fortunately, Bron was a better man than most and his tone was matter-of-fact, devoid of accusation.

Souliess had arrived as well, much to their surprise and informing them that the dragon was not far behind and that Grim and Ellysidell had quit the field, but at least were alive. He could not give any news of the others, but assumed that the dragon had gotten to them already.

"Oh, and Grim said something about an undead wizard," Souliess had added while Bron was lost in thought.

Before anyone could respond to this new information, a cry of "My Lord!" came from the top of the stairs from one of the surviving Shields, as Sergei and the Inquisitor's acolyte came running.

On their heels came the lich. He announced himself with the screams of two more Shields as they were immolated and their charred husks crumpled to the floor.

The acolyte gave Sergei the swordcase and whispered, "My turn...get the sword out of here," and turned to face the undead wizard.

Segei bounded down the stairs, and quickly signed to Ivan who gave the case to Benito.

They heard the cries of "By Tyr I command you to rest in your grave!"

It was followed by a cackle and a muffled scream.

"Then, my Lord, I guess we finish it here?" asked Ivan grimly, raising his two scimitars into a defensive position.

"Actually, no. There is a back entrance. The last cell has a secret door that leads to a tunnel, that leads to a concealed entrance at the base of the tor."

Ivan commanded his men and the remaining Shields to leave and secure the tunnel. They needed no extra prodding and informed Khirin on their way out. He remained at the secret passage's entrance

The lich appeared at the top of the stairs. Lord Bron moved towards him with Ivan and Souliess and then Benito holding the case still at the base of the stairs. Non-chalantly, the lich cast another spell, sending lightning into Lord Bron which then arched to Souliess and then to Ivan. Lord Bron collapsed, a smoking hole in his chest and mini-arcs of electricity causing his body to twitch.

The other three heroes ran. The lich began to walk down the stairs sensing victory.

In front of the secret entrance, Benito motioned for them to go. Khirin, Souliess and Ivan ran into the tunnel. Only Ivan looked over his shoulder to see about the cleric. Not seeing him close behind, he clasped Khirin on the shoulder and nodded seriously.

"Take care of my men."

Khirin stopped and watched Ivan run back for Benito. Then calling on a much unused divine spell that for some reason he had asked Waukeen for that day, he collaspsed the tunnel behind him. He sighed and kept jogging down the tunnel.

Ivan returned to the dungeon to see Benito screaming in pain as he lifted the Starym moonblade and like a heavy bar of lead dropped it into the anti-magic swordcase. Near collapse, the cleric of Tyr slammed the case shut and locked it.

In the haze, and barely conscious, he felt someone drag him from the prison cell. Looking up he saw it was Ivan and smiled. The door blew open in dramatic fashion and the pair looked up to see the lich silohuetted at the entrance. Ivan almost stood up to face the undead abomination, but Benito pulled him down.

"I pray that this works," whispered the weakend cleric.

Clutching both Ivan and the swordcase, Benito recited the words that would recall him home....

As soon as they exited the tunnel followed by a cloud of dust, Souliess teleported with as many of the soldiers as he could with the last of his power to just outside the Temple of Eldath. Even here he could hear the sounds of fighting and chaos. He ducked into the sanctuary, found a quiet spot, and collapsed with exhaustion. Khirin and the others made their way towards the temple the long way. Khirin gave a silent prayer to Waukeen asking her to keep his friends from harm. He hoped they were alright.

Last edited:

LuYangShih

First Post
Well, I really like the Realms, and this seems well written, so I guess I have another Story Hour to read. I better get cracking, but before I do...

Fire Knives.
Night Masks.
I have no idea.
Cyric.

Broccli_Head

Explorer
LuYangShih said:
Well, I really like the Realms, and this seems well written, so I guess I have another Story Hour to read. I better get cracking, but before I do...

Fire Knives.
Night Masks.
I have no idea.
Cyric.

Thanks for stopping by. I will make a disclaimer...some posts read better than others. Some actually IMHO, really suck!

The third symbol is for Eldereth Veluthra...who have given the PCs the most problems...funny that ;)

Malachai_rose

First Post
That was a very cool update Broc. And just think... The worst is still to come. <sigh> You try and have a positive impact on the world around you and all you have to show for it is a few deads friends and the fall of one of Faeruns mightiest cities. This isn't gonna look good on my resume :D

Hope you can get another one out before friday (since we play again then) that way your only 4 or 5 sessions behind instead of 5 or 6, lol :p

LuYangShih

First Post
Very good story. I especially liked the way you handled the Planetar earlier in the story. It's good to see outsiders be given real character like that. I was wondering, can I find the stat blocks of the PCs and NPCs anywhere? I'm also uncertain as to how many of the characters are PCs and which are NPCs. Regardless, very good, as I said. I look forward to reading more.

Broccli_Head

Explorer
LuYangShih said:
I was wondering, can I find the stat blocks of the PCs and NPCs anywhere? I'm also uncertain as to how many of the characters are PCs and which are NPCs. .

For at least 3 PCs...

I don't remember how current they are...

PCs: Benito, Grim, Ellysidell, Nosr, Aris (Jenner), Ivan, Manta, Souliess, Kyros (Varrick), Seance (for one adventure)

NPCs: Alberia (Valeria), Kith, Jhovan, Varen the bard, Mourn (like Alberia, a former PC)

Is there anyone else that I missed?

LYS, Thanks again for your patronage!:D

Broccli_Head

Explorer
Recalling the events of Fall of Irieabor: 9-10 Tarsakh, Year of Rogue Dragons (1373)

from The History of the Heroes of the Vilhon Reach by Khi'rin al-D'hib, 1376 DR Stormwolf Press, Alaghon, Turmish

...Exactly what led to the Fall of Irieabor is muddled in controversy. Are the Heroes of the Vilhon Reach to blame? For the last two years, their names have been villified by the oppressed residents of the City of Many Spires. In fact, rumor has persisted that it was they who were in league with the Zhentarim and the Shades, allowing their rise to power in Irieabor. On a recent visit, I myself overheard the Heroes implicated for the assassination of Lord Bron. Clearly, all this spin-control by Shreevoth of Shade and "lord" Aronar Thaeglos, leader of the Zhentarim, is false. Undoubtedly, these two live in fear for their very lives, always looking over their shoulder for the day when the Heroes decide to avenge the people of this fair city. Read on, good madams and sirs. In this chapter, the truth of the events of those days is revealed....

...It was Benito Moltos, who first brought word of the Zhentarim force en route to sack the city. Opportunistic as always, the Black Network had received word of fighting in the city. Benito and Ivan Vorshev of Rasheman, Lionar of the valiant 32nd Cormyrean Expeditionary Force, returned to Irieabor as quickly as magic could allow after securing the Starym Moonblade (q.v.) in the vault of the Temple of Justice in Alaghon (editor's note: Evil beings seeking this sword need no longer inquire at the Temple. IT IS NO LONGER THERE!).

Lionar Ivan Vorshev recalled the jaunt: "They [the priests of Tyr] sent us back to Irieabor with the Blood Portal. We arrived under the city and met with the Shades. They gave us a magical device showing the Zhent advance."

Ironically, it was the Shades, as you well know, who betrayed the good folk of Irieabor and bargained with the Zhentarim to divide the city and later with them, tighten their collective grips on trade and personal freedom. It was also ironic that the Zhentarim force was led by the infamous dark ranger, Aronar Thaeglos. Strange how destiny guides our paths. This same man, as is now publically known, is the father of Benito Moltos. What is not as commonly known, is that Thaeglos was the Malar-worshipping traitor who sold Aris Cloud-dancer into slavery. Unfortunately, neither Aris nor Benito were able to confront him, but be sure that a reckoning will come....

....By the time Benito and Ivan returned to Irieabor, the city was a battle-torn mess, but pickets had stabilized in front of the High Tower, where the majority of the Black Talons and the remaining elements of Eldereth Veluthra had crawled. The one green dragon had summoned two of its verdant brethren, and thus three dragons patrolled the skies of the city, terrorizing the citizens, and occasionally skirmishing with brave priests of Selune in the air above Irieabor. Sorties to relieve the High Tower met with fierce resistance from the Talons and inevitably one or more of the dragons would swoop down and devastate the already diminished Shields.

Demoralized by the loss of Lord Bron, the belaguered defenders of the city found themselves in a losing battle of attrition. It was best to wait in the burned out buildings of the city than face certain death in the open. It did not help that knowledge of Bron's spirit's unwillingness to return spread like wildfire from the temple to Eldath where Souliess, the Heroes' psion, had left it; rescuing it from the clutches of the elven, lich leader of Eldereth Veluthra (whose name still evades my scrying...).

Now instead of the whitewashed High Towers gleaming from the great tor that overlooked Irieabor, a scintillating sphere pulsed, blinding those who tried to look directly into it. It was from here that the lich watched our every move and cast a heavy shadow upon the city....

to be continued....

Last edited:

Broccli_Head

Explorer
Recalling the events of Fall of Irieabor (cont.)

...Why do I say It watched our every move? How else does one explain the attempted destruction of all the principles on the verge of the council of war? Or the realization that we did not even have a chance?...

Throughout the day and long into the night of 9 Tarsakh, messengers and runners went back and forth between the various redoubts of the 'forces of good'. Benito and the majority of the Heroes of the Vilhon Reach, along with various Shields and the remainder of the Cormyrean 32nd, camped and recovered at the Temple of Eldath. The other leaders in the city held ground at the Temple of Selune under the guide of (insert name), the high priestess. Grim and I were among the errand-runners, travelling back and fourth between the temples and to the fortifications in place before the High Tower. We were involved in one of the failed attempts to retake the gate. The result of all that back-and-forth was a decision to convene at midnight at the Temple of Selune to discuss plans for an all out assault on the Tower.

Meanwhile, Benito and the water genasi priestess (insert name) who oversaw the temple had attempted to raise Lord Bron. As mentioned earlier, He did not want to return. I recall Benito exclaiming to the unwilling spirit "Do you or your goddess not care for your people, who suffer at the hands of the enemy?"

But at the time, his plea fell on deaf ears. The priest of Tyr also contacted Ellysidell who was still hidden outside the city (whereas Grim had earlier returned) taking care of his new follower, the wild elven female Talindra. The repsonse was cryptic and caused us to briefly doubt his loyalty, but we trusted that our longtime companion would join us when the time came. Swallowing his pride, Benito cast a sending to communicate with Aris Cloud-dancer, who at the time, was on a mission for Cormyr in the Stonelands. Hearing of the gravity of the situation in Irieabor, Aris teleported with Nosr and Kyros to the City of Many Spires, leaving Alberia and other members of his budding Stormwolf Legion to complete the assignment (see next chapter) for the Forest Kingdom. They arrived late in the evening. Thus, were we all assembled, the Heroes of the Vilhon Reach, for what would be the Final Battle.

Early that day, Benito Moltos had consulted his god, Tyr to get as much information on our enemies as possible. Unfortunately, Tyr left us as much in the dark as before. In fact his herald's enigmatic response, "What is right is not always the best" (my emphasis) is to this day a bone of contention between members of our esteemed company. What did Tyr really meant when he said that?...

... The Council of War...

We were being watched from the outset and I believe that even in the warded room the lich could hear us. As the last of the party made their way across the open area before the temple, the dragons attacked, breathing their caustic gas and raining magic upon the detachment of soldiers and priests gathered there. While none of our company were killed, the courtyard in front of the temple became strewn with corpses. We could not retaliate and we could not recover the bodies of the fallen that littered the street. The high priestess and Benito dispelled what they thought were magical scrying sensors and the magicians involved re-bolstered the wards to prevent unwanted 'eyes'. Nosr, almost killed by the dragon attack, pleaded with Aris to lead the Heroes from Iriaebor. Some of us had already begun to feel that the Sack of Iriaebor was inevitable and helping the city was a lost cause. Ellysidell made it and with him was Talindra, following him around like a puppy dog.

Thus, the council convened. Aris sat through most of the proceedings with his arms folded. His idea--to retreat from the city with the surviving forces and then return when the situtation was better studied--went unheard. He was at first adamant, especially when we discovered that Prespur's tower had been breached and his clones destroyed. Someone had it in for Iriaebor and they had planned all to well. When the others did not listen, he sat in silence, thinking the whole prospect was folly, but realizing that once again, to stay loyal to the group, he would have to put his life and the lives of his followers into an unneccessary risk. What was 'best' in his mind was to live and fight another day. For the most part the plan had already been formed without us, and we felt that we, the Heroes, were just pawns to be used. This was compounded by the drama of Lord Bron's bizarre return.

Through some perversion, Bron's spirit came back. He entered the meeting passing through the walls and causing quite a stir. However, he was an undead thing...a ghost of vengeance, apparently, recalled from the afterlife for one last battle. His presence solidified the decision to attack the High Tower instead of retreat. His confrontation with Talindra added the only excitement (the wild elf was summarily dragged from the coucil room by Aris and she was watched by Ellysidell who despite her outbursts and clear support of the enemy still vouched for her trustworthiness!) and her outburst only served to garner support for this foolishness. In my opinion, this stubborness led to the downfall of Irieabor. I repeat, we should have left.

I bowed out of the whole mess, with Aris's sanction. Someone, he felt, needed to remember us and chronicle our adventures, and at heart, I am a merchant, not a warrior. I watched the events from the rooftops.

Lord Bron's ghost was to lead the main assault against his former castle. The priest of Selune were to take to the air and distract the dragons. The Heroes would sneak back into the castle from the tunnel that they had formerly escaped from and confront the lich.

I swear by Waukeen, I could hear It laughing at us....

to be continued...

Last edited:

Remove ads