• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[FR] Wulfgar as a pure barbarian?

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
It might be possible he gave up that class level, maybe? In the 2E stats for him, they noted that he previously had 20 levels of Fighter, but gave them up when he left Menzoberranzen to live in the Underdark as a Ranger. I don't know if you can do that in 3E, but still, it might be an explantion.

John Crichton

First Post
Starman said:
I pictured him as learning a few cantrips, but not anything like first level spells. It's hard to model that level of skill in D&D 3E.
Agreed. I never saw him being able to cast anything even in the area of a magic missle. The things taught at the academy were most like for teaching the drow to harness their innate or noble abilities and be comfortable and knowledgeable about the arcane magics.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Starman said:
I pictured him as learning a few cantrips, but not anything like first level spells. It's hard to model that level of skill in D&D 3E.
The best way to give a character access to a few cantrips is something like the Magical Artisan feat (FRCS), IMO.

Eldorian

First Post
If I recall correctly, Drizzt almost made a circle of prot evil once, based on having remembered it in school. It was week, and his summoned cat went to walk thru, felt the slight resistance and stopped, and Drizzt figured that the circle worked, and the cat, sensing his pleasure, decided to stay where she was since it made him happy. Later some demon or something rudely proved that Drizzt's circle of protection from evil didn't work. So giving him a level of wizard but no spell book sounds kinda reasonable. Or maybe a level of adapt, since he also attended church school.

It was on the surface, but I can't remember what book, I read those in high school.

Eldorian Antar

nHammer

First Post
Dark Jezter said:
This thread is mostly made for fans of the R.A. Salvatore FR novels and FR fans in general.

I just got the Silver Marches FR book, and one thing I noticed in the desciption of Wulfgar is that he is a Barbarian 9. Now, this is just my personal opinion, but I believe that Wulfgar should have a couple of levels in Fighter as well, to represent the rigorous training he recieved from Drizzt. After all, Drizzt himself has 10 levels in fighter (to represent his training under Zaknafien and his time at the fighters' academy), 1 level in barbarian (to represent the decade he spent wandering through the underdark), and 5 levels in ranger (to represent his ranger training on the surface).

In 2nd Edition, Wulfgar was a level 9 fighter, but this was before barbarian was reintroduced as a class. I believe that Wulfgar should be something like a Bbn5/Ftr4 or something similiar; he's still a savage and fierce warrior, but he is also trained and competent.

Another little oddity I noticed was that the Silver Marches book described him as an Uthgardt barbarian. Shouldn't he be an Icewind Dale tundra barbarian instead?

I think you may be right. Bbn5/Ftr4 sounds good to me.

There have been very slight changes in the FR when it was updated to 3rd ed. I think they just decided to make all barbarian societies Uthgardt barbarians. I don't think it really matters in the long run.

Arnwyn

First Post
Pants said:
Isn't the Silver Marches notorious for having questionable information? :confused:
Indeed it does! But then again, that can be said for most 3e FR products. (Thankfully, though, most can be corrected with a couple of pencil strokes.)

nick

First Post
The levels for Drittz and his companions always seemed low, considering the monsters that they battled in the novels.

Starman

Adventurer
The best way to give a character access to a few cantrips is something like the Magical Artisan feat (FRCS), IMO.

I went and looked that up and, though I think you meant Magical Training, that does seem to be a good feat to model a bit of training. I think I'd house rule it to allow the character to choose one of the spells he learned, though. If I was to stat Drizzt out I don't think I would give it to him. He didn't seem to get that much out of the school.

Starman

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
arnwyn said:
Indeed it does! But then again, that can be said for most 3e FR products. (Thankfully, though, most can be corrected with a couple of pencil strokes.)

Really? Like what? What are some examples? Inquiring minds want to know!

Remove ads