• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Frank Mentzer, Tim Kask, Jim Ward and Chistopher Clarke form Eldritch Enterprises

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
I only read about a dozen blogs daily, about half of which are RPG related. GROGNARDIA is one of those blogs. Like anything, sometimes I agree with what James says, sometimes I don't, but either way it's always enlightening and an enjoyable read.

A fine blog indeed. And frequently updated.

As for this idea of playing D&D with mostly just the 3lbbs....thats something else entirely. ;)

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
As for this idea of playing D&D with mostly just the 3lbbs....thats something else entirely. ;)

When the 3lbbs first were published, some of the people who played in the games I played (including me) were already familiar with Chainmail (and many other wargames) so it is difficult for me to say thirty-six years later if someone could have played with the 3lbbs alone, with no prior gaming experience, etc. but I doubt it.

Mythmere1

First Post
So, does anyone know if Eldritch Enterprises has any preview material that fans can check out?

They are still working on a website, and I haven't heard of any preview material yet. There were a few copies of Tim Kask's module write-up printed for North Texas RPG Con, but as far as I know those were sold, mostly to collectors, and aren't "in print" in any form yet.

Summary: I don't think so.

Treebore

First Post
No one said anything even close to this, so I'm not sure why it's being asserted, let alone now, more than a year after I made the original comments. I've actually had nothing to say on this subject since August 2009, but I guess people enjoy trying to manufacture controversy where there is none.

Seriously, do people even bother to read what anyone writes anymore or do they simply rely on third hand reports? My criticisms of this endeavor were that I did not think, based on the information we had then, that it demonstrated those involved had a very good understanding either of the current RPG market generally or the old school niche in particular. I stand by that opinion, though, as I said back in 2009, I'll be happy to be proven wrong.

Yeah, I went by third hand accounts. I quit reading your blog because I disagreed with too much of what you said for it to be enjoyable.

But I love the comments in this thread. Like Jim Ward's Metamorphosis Alpha and Gamma World aren't much in the way of creds? :lol:

I for one liked a lot of Fast Forwards books, the ONLY real problem they had was an inability to follow the OGL and had to destroy a lot of product, which is what put them out of business. Everything else would have improved if they had the time.

People criticize Tim Kask as a designer. Well, your probably right. I think the reason he is on board is he is a creative guy and has a proven track record as being a pretty good editor. Something a GOOD company needs to have, just ask any RPG publisher.

I agree about Chris Clarke, but I don't know about the actual hurdles he had to over come with the Lejendary books, so he may actually be pretty good, and if nothing else I am sure he learned a lot.

They better have Frank be their public face, though. Both Jim and Tim have a hard time watching what they say and how they say it. Something that will tank their company fast in todays environment.

Still, I am looking forward to seeing if they even get off the ground. They already face one big hurdle with how sick Jim is. Since it sounds like they have a strong core team I am hopeful they will prosper.

Forgemeister

First Post
Couple of things...

It's Chris "Clark", and yes, its the guy that worked with GG on the Lejendary Adventure line, and wrote a few generic adventures with Gary back in the 90s.

I also have written a few non-rpg titles over the years.

I don't know that any of us (myself, Jim, Tim, or Frank) think that we are the 'greatest group of Old Skool gamers left in one place' - in fact, that is not the reason we're all working together under what is admittedly an OS banner. Anyone assuming that the formation of this company is all about the marquis value is misinterpreting the intent of our little enclave.

As a group. we like rules light gaming. Player, and GM-empowered gaming that is unrestricted by codification beyond that needed for organized play.

In short, its about the role playing, not the rules. Anything Eldritch produces will be readily adaptable to whatever system you wish to play.

I don't often post here at EW, but I did want to explain who I am.... and no "e" at the end gang; "Clark", just like the station and the candy bar.

You can find out a bit more about me here, if you're interested:
www.fuzzyheroes.com

All of what is posted here, btw, is my personal opinion, and should not be considered by any stretch to reflect the views of Eldritch Ent. or the individual views of Tim, Jim, or Frank.

Hope this clarifies...

XXOOCC
Chris Clark
Eldritch Ent.
(and Inner City Games Designs)

Treebore

First Post
"As a group. we like rules light gaming. Player, and GM-empowered gaming that is unrestricted by codification beyond that needed for organized play.

In short, its about the role playing, not the rules. Anything Eldritch produces will be readily adaptable to whatever system you wish to play."

Sounds perfect to me!

:cool:

GreyLord

Legend
I don't see why people are saying what they are, I see Ward as a good designer who has done some pretty good stuff...I never saw his FFE stuff, but one bad thing that came out (if it was bad, I didn't see it) doesn't make a bad designer. There are MANY bad designs that come out all the time from good game designers.

I look forward to seeing what these guys put out, if it interests me, I'll buy it, and if it doesn't I won't. It's that simple, and that's what the market is all about.

I think Ward has a great insight into the hobby and what is and has gone on, the same goes for Mentzer, and others. It should be interesting to see what they come up with and how they integrate it for different systems, or if they make different things for different systems...or whatever approach they take.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I am cautiously optimistic (FFE really was a complete disaster in all possible ways) and wish these fellows the best of luck.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads