• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Frank Mentzer, Tim Kask, Jim Ward and Chistopher Clarke form Eldritch Enterprises

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I've got to say that I'm rather enjoying reading Lich Dungeon level 1, Frank! I really like the Redbirds, and there's a real mix of whimsy and danger.

I hope it's not too long before level 2 comes out.

Cheers!

Frank Mentzer

First Post
I hope it's not too long before level 2 comes out.
Thanks for the kind words.

::sigh:: I do have a lot of ideas for NEW stuff, and Lich is from the '70s... The writeup for level 1 was actually the second (or third) thing I wrote in the last year, but I figured I oughta stick to vintage old-school stuff at first, lest I scare people. ;>

And now that it's out I'm committed (or oughta be). Yes, levels 2 thru 13 are on the schedule; we're hoping for one each quarter, 4 per year. That may be accelerated if demand warrants.

I recall Gary's angst when we worked together, as he got dragged into an overwhelming flood of business stuff and would have preferred to spent time writing. Sounds familiar, now.

F

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
I recall Gary's angst when we worked together, as he got dragged into an overwhelming flood of business stuff and would have preferred to spent time writing. Sounds familiar, now.

F

I also remember him expressing that as he ran more of the business side of things he regretfully also had less time to play his own game. For some reason that stuck with me and made me quite sad. I hope you still get a chance to roll the dice here and there.

Filcher

First Post
I purchased Lich at GaryCon. Excellent adventure setting, which will become even cooler as more levels are released.

Minor complaint: The binding on my copy seems a little weak. Before I left Lake Geneva sheets were "cracking free" from the spine.

Easy solution though: three hole punch and binder, and now Lich is easier to use at the table.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I hope they do well. It is a rough market.
Their name recognition will make a big difference. I'm not one to throw my money at every OSR work that comes along -- I still haven't picked up Stonehell, for instance, or the Grinding Gear -- but if they put out a take on Castle Greyhawk by any name, I'd grab it to use, at least in parts, in a heartbeat.

Frank Mentzer

First Post
Minor complaint: The binding on my copy seems a little weak. Before I left Lake Geneva sheets were "cracking free" from the spine.
I'm more than 'a little' perturbed at the binding problems (printer error). otoh we had to accept a percentage of errors to get them to GaryCon in time to meet our commitments. Sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do. All such problems (binding & some color streaking inside covers) were entirely due to the speed factor. All the POD items produced by our online vendors will be fine, I'm sure; they have the system down pat, and can take their time in production.

if they put out a take on Castle Greyhawk by any name, I'd grab it to use, at least in parts, in a heartbeat.
Ah, I wish. Greyhawk is of course property of TSR/WotC exclusively. Although we have access to some of Rob Kuntz's original GH notes, and Gail would of course have Gary's original stuff in this line, there's no chance that it could all come together. Ah well.

I still haven't picked up Stonehell, for instance, or the Grinding Gear

Cripes, man, save up and grab! I'm partial to the works of Raggi (now well-established) and Curtis (who burst on the scene with award-winning stuff in the last two years). I have been lucky enough to meet both face-to-face and chatted fairly extensively.

And heya Havard. How's the spring weather in west-central Norway?

Frank

havard

Adventurer
And heya Havard. How's the spring weather in west-central Norway?

Hey Frank! All well here, but very snowy. B-)

Enjoying your Lich Dungeon very much. I like how the dungeon in some ways is very old school, but at the same time shows how it has been in development over all these decades.

The optional references to Aquaria also caught my interest. :cool:

-Havard

Remove ads