D&D General Frankensetting!

Reynard

Legend
Which parts from which official D&D settings have you or would you stitch together into a Frankensetting for a home campaign?

I really like the concept of PlaneJammer -- a Planescape and Spelljammer hybrid that leans into planar travel through the Astral Sea by way of Spelljammers. I would use Eberron as the main aesthetic of the Prime because it is cooler than any of the other terrestrial D&D settings, but if a player wanted a PC from pretty much and D&D setting (or Golarion or whatever) i would allow it in such a game.

What would you do?

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
The way I run my games, the planes are infinite and non-Euclidian; there's always a point of connection somewhere, even if it's hard to find and quite tenuous.

Every "Earth-like world" is on the Prime somewhere, unless it's specifically called out as being on another plane or a demi-plane. All of the Prime worlds are connected via the Astral. The Ethereal Plane connects all of the Planes.

Groups of Prime worlds will generally support one grouping of Outer Planes. Every setting that uses the Great Wheel is using the same Great Wheel, so crossover between them is quite easy. Other settings might use other Outer Plane configurations, like Eberron's Orerry. Canonically in my games, there are other worlds besides Eberron that also are connected to the Orrery.

In the Great Wheel, Limbo is also the Elemental Chaos, AND the home of the all the differentiated Elemental Planes (Air, Water, etc.) Arborea is the plane of NG in the Great Wheel, AND the Feywild where it has close connections to the Prime, and also has connections to Thelanis in Eberron. The Grey Waste is both the Great Wheel NE plane, AND the Shadowfell, AND where Ravenloft "is", although Ravenloft has as much an Ethereal nature as a Shadow nature, AND connects to Dolurrh in Eberron.

Also, Mechanus is also a giant mechanical dam, maintained by both Arcadia and Acheron, where the rivers Oceanus and Styx flow over into the plane of Nirvana, the source of the Astral Sea.

So yea, every D&D setting is part of my "cosmere", and I've Frankenstitched 3-4 editions of lore planar lore together into one lumbering monstrosity, purely so that whatever gets released that catches my eye, I can put it in somewhere. :)

Voadam

Legend
I have done this with my mashup homebrew setting I use which ties in both official D&D setting elements and many non official D&D fantasy setting elements.

Grehawk is mostly the past. Oeridian and Flan and Suel gods are often referred to as the Old Gods.

Eberron is mostly the future with Lord Cannith developing warforged being a new thing, the basis for Karnathi gothic horror land being my current Ptolus imperial province of Ustalav (which also has a history as a lot of 2e core Ravenloft), and Thrane tying into the Ptolus Holy Lothian Church in the theocratic Holy Lothian Empire that is split in a succession civil war. Blood of Vol ties a bit into Golarion Whispering Way.

Forgotten Realms deities are often referred to as the New Gods.

Dragonlance gods are mostly from over the Sea but known due to some cross-ocean mercantile connections.

My fantasy Egypt Osirian draws on material from Golarion Osirian, Hamunaptra, Necropolis, Nithia, Frog Gods' Lost World, and Forgotten Realms' Mulhorand and Red Wizards of Thay (tiny bit of Conan Stygia).

My Fantasy Uraq draws on Ptolus Uraq, Golarion Qadira, Forgotten Realms Al-Qadim, Forgotten Realms Mulhorand, Diamond Throne, and some Mesopotamian sourcebook stuff.

My Qadira draws on Greyhawk Baklunish, Golarion Qadira, Forgotten Realms Al-Qadim, Forgotten Realms fantasy Arabic kingdoms (Calimport, etc.), and Midgard Dragon Empire.

My fantasy Africa Nyambe continent has a touch of Forgotten Realms Chult, although much more Golarion Garund.

My Cheliax is a mix of Golarion Cheliax and Qadira, Warhammer FRP dark dwarves, Duergar D&D storylines, Scarred Lands Chardunian Empire, Goodman Games Known World past dwarven and elven empire timeline, Ptolus Uraq, and 4e Bael Turoth.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I have done this with my mashup homebrew setting I use which ties in both official D&D setting elements and many non official D&D fantasy setting elements.

Grehawk is mostly the past. Oeridian and Flan and Suel gods are often referred to as the Old Gods.

Eberron is mostly the future with Lord Cannith developing warforged being a new thing, the basis for Karnathi gothic horror land being my current Ptolus imperial province of Ustalav (which also has a history as a lot of 2e core Ravenloft), and Thrane tying into the Ptolus Holy Lothian Church in the theocratic Holy Lothian Empire that is split in a succession civil war. Blood of Vol ties a bit into Golarion Whispering Way.

Forgotten Realms deities are often referred to as the New Gods.

Dragonlance gods are mostly from over the Sea but known due to some cross-ocean mercantile connections.

My fantasy Egypt Osirian draws on material from Golarion Osirian, Hamunaptra, Necropolis, Nithia, Frog Gods' Lost World, and Forgotten Realms' Mulhorand and Red Wizards of Thay (tiny bit of Conan Stygia).

My Fantasy Uraq draws on Ptolus Uraq, Golarion Qadira, Forgotten Realms Al-Qadim, Forgotten Realms Mulhorand, Diamond Throne, and some Mesopotamian sourcebook stuff.

My Qadira draws on Greyhawk Baklunish, Golarion Qadira, Forgotten Realms Al-Qadim, Forgotten Realms fantasy Arabic kingdoms (Calimport, etc.), and Midgard Dragon Empire.

My fantasy Africa Nyambe continent has a touch of Forgotten Realms Chult, although much more Golarion Garund.

My Cheliax is a mix of Golarion Cheliax and Qadira, Warhammer FRP dark dwarves, Duergar D&D storylines, Scarred Lands Chardunian Empire, Goodman Games Known World past dwarven and elven empire timeline, Ptolus Uraq, and 4e Bael Turoth.
That, my friend, is D&D done right.

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
I really like the concept of PlaneJammer -- a Planescape and Spelljammer hybrid that leans into planar travel through the Astral Sea by way of Spelljammers.
My current Spelljammer campaign is definitely going to segue into some Planescape content as it heads into higher levels, for exactly the reason you outlined above. Spelljamming in 5e innately involves planar travel (at least to the Astral) so eventually visiting other planes as well as other Wild space systems seems like a natural extension.

Edit: If my players are reading this, shame on you! :D

The wildspace of Nentir Vale being "retouched" to work as a planar hub with visitors from other wildspaces (Mystara, Jackandor, Greyhawk, Athasian Tablelands, Ghostwalk...).

Parmandur

Book-Friend
In practical terms, there would be no point to this (too large a scale, nobody would care), but a big part of me would love to just chop Kara-Tur out of the Forgotten Realma and place the Flannaes out there as the western part of the supercontinent. Tie the Baklunish into Narfell, Damara, Vassa, Thesk and Sossell, tie the Owrdians in with the Heartlands and Wrstern Sea of Fallen Stars, tie the Suliose in with the southeast...the Eastern edge of Toril and Western edge of the Flannaes are quite compatible...

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
Planescape and StarDrive. The Great Wheel (Outer and Inner Planes) is still the Great Wheel, with Sigil and Union and the City of Brass being late Tech Level 7/early TL 8 hypermetropolises while the entire Prime Material Plane (including Spelljammer's Radiant Triangle) has been subsumed into the cosmology of the Milky Way Galaxy as individual star systems within galaxies Far Far Away.

The Factions and the Stellar Nations are mingled and remixed. The pre-prehistory of the D&D Multiverse and the Precursors of the Milky Way are integrated together, the prehistory of the fraal and the thaal is integrated into the prehistory of the gith, and so on and on and on...

Use the Solar System (and general tech level) from Buck Rogers in the 25th Century as a custom setting for a Spelljammer game; stuff it full of L5R d20 and Tome of Battle/Path of War elements.

In the same vein, take the rules from Old School Essentials Advanced Fantasy (plus whatever 3pp supplements you want) plus the big deluxe version of White Star Science Fiction Roleplaying and just mix and match to make your own space fantasy setting. I like to integrate traditional D&D magic with psionics and the Star Knights/Void Knights/Aquarian Order from White Star.

Remove ads