• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Free action during attack power resolution?

SWAT

First Post
I can't find anything that would prevent this, but I'd like to make sure...

Can I use a free action between the primary and secondary attacks of an attack power? For example, take the Psion daily Shred Reality (area attack, followed by a secondary attack on one of the targets hit) and the Forceful Power power (obtained via Forceful Power feat, free action, targets hit by an area attack are knocked prone). Can I use Forceful Power after the primary attack to knock prone whoever I want to use the secondary attack on?

Thanks.

Mort_Q

First Post
Going by what you said... yes.

That said, unless the secondary is a melee attack, there is no real advantage... but it sounds cool and sets up party members.

SWAT

First Post
Well would you look at that... being prone only grants combat advantage with regards to melee attacks :eek:. I'm sure I knew that once...

Oh well...

Markn

First Post
I'm not entirely sure about this so I will play devils advocate for now. I'm not sure you can use an action during the resolution of another action. That is, you only can use free actions before/after other actions are completed. The only exception are interrupts but you can't use interrupts on your own turn.

I'm not saying this is 100% correct. Just throwing this out there.

Mort_Q

First Post
I'm sure there was a whole thread arguing both sides of this Free Action timing regarding Barbarians and charges, and all that.

The only rule I can find is that the number of free actions allowed is up to the DM.

I said yes, 'cause it's not really abusive, in my opinion, to allow it between attack rolls of a single multi-attack power.

Particularily in this case.

mneme

Explorer
Free actions are at immediate interrupt timing, only better (because you can use them on your turn).

Remember, you can use a free action IN BETWEEN STEPS IN A CHARGE. They're just that fast.

Markn

First Post
Free actions are at immediate interrupt timing, only better (because you can use them on your turn).

Remember, you can use a free action IN BETWEEN STEPS IN A CHARGE. They're just that fast.

Remember, that movement is handled differently than anything else. Each square of movement can be "interrupted" for example. See the rules on Readied Actions for this.

In the end, I'd probably agree with Mort Q in that if its not abusive, might as well allow it. Still not entirely sure it RAW though.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads