• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Free Comic Day: The D&D comic (Raimiton)

Deimodius

First Post
Well, I made a trip to my LFG/CS to pick up my free copy of the D&D comic, and one for my step-son.

The artwork of this comic ranged from pretty bad to down right horrid. If the purpose of this comic was to a. introduce new players to the game, and b. to give them some basic instruction to the game, mightn't havebeen a good idea to get some half-decent artists? I imagine most kids, with an attention span of about 2 seconds these days, are going to open it and say, "What kind of *stuff* is this? This comic stucks, why would I read this?" and then toss it aside for something much cooler and timely like Spider-Man.

WotC struck out with this comic.

haiiro

First Post
Deimodius said:
WotC struck out with this comic.

That's too bad -- I remember the D&D comics from a few years back being pretty good.

Is this one the first in a new series, or a one-shot?

Deimodius

First Post
It's really a commercial for D&D.

SPOLIER BELOW----->

It starts out with a group a school kids getting ready to play D&D while welcoming a new member to the group. The DM goes over the basics of character creation, and then it switches to seeing the actual characters as the "session" progresses and they play out the adventure.

It kinda reminded me of the Jack Chick tract about D&D being evil. :)

Cymex666

First Post
Yeah, its pretty sad. I picked up a copy of the free D&D comic at my local comic shop and was quite dismayed once I started reading it. I could see the quality of the artwork being what it is if this were someone's indy project, but this is WotC we're talking about here (why didn't they work harder on this?). If this comic was supposed to function as a teaching tool and get kids interested in the hobby, I think it missed the mark. :(

Zander

Explorer
I got a copy by chance at a games & comic store while purchasing a couple of D&D Cartoon DVDs and a set of LotR chibi action figures.

I agree that the execution of the comic was disappointing. However, the idea of recruiting new gamers from among comic readers is a sound one and I'm pleased that Hasbro is putting money into marketing D&D.

Darth K'Trava

First Post
Cymex666 said:
Yeah, its pretty sad. I picked up a copy of the free D&D comic at my local comic shop and was quite dismayed once I started reading it. I could see the quality of the artwork being what it is if this were someone's indy project, but this is WotC we're talking about here (why didn't they work harder on this?). If this comic was supposed to function as a teaching tool and get kids interested in the hobby, I think it missed the mark. :(

I guess.... why put alot of effort into something that's gonna be free anyway?? Not that I've seen the comic myself so I personally can't judge it's artwork quality.

Stormborn

Explorer
Darth K'Trava said:
I guess.... why put alot of effort into something that's gonna be free anyway?? Not that I've seen the comic myself so I personally can't judge it's artwork quality.

For the same reason people spend billions on flashy entertaining ads: so you can make more money. I agree, the comic stinks. Art, lettering, and story. I have only been able to force myself through about half of it so far, its that bad.

It didn't show up in a lot of the publicity pieces for FCBD, I wonder if it was last min? Certainly seems that way.

OTOH, maybe it willbe just intriguing enough for someone to say: gee, maybe I want to try that.

Deimodius

First Post
UNless, looking at the quality (or lack thereof) of the comic they think to themsleves, "wow, this looks so lame. This game must be just as lame. Forget it!"

CarlZog

Explorer
It was a great idea -- horribly executed.

The artwork was muddy and amateurish; the lettering was barely legible.

I agree some of it looked like a Chick tract. It had kind of creepy overtones. These players were not people you would want to hang out with.

This looked like a low-budget, last-minute effort to capitalize on the event.
Too bad. Hopefully, they'll take a better shot at it next year.

zog

Remove ads