Free RPG Day is this weekend!

darjr

I crit!
Free RPG Day is this weekend! I’m running these. Who else is going?!
Sword of the serpentine and it’s core book. DCC and it’s core book. Avatar the last airbender and it’s starter box. Plus free rpg day dice going back to 2013 and a 2015 pencil.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I moved from near a city of 200,000 with an awesome, huge game store that always participated in Free RPG Day and DCC Day to a city of 175,000 with 3 game stores, none of which participate in either. All three owners say participation isn't worth it, and the only one with appreciable gaming space charges to sit and play there. Given the likely lack of interest, that doesn't seem like a good investment to me.

So I'm debating if I want to drive 1.5 hours (to the nearest participating store) or miss Free RPG day for the first time in 6 years. Sadly, I'm leaning toward the latter.

darjr

I crit!
I moved from near a city of 200,000 with an awesome, huge game store that always participated in Free RPG Day and DCC Day to a city of 175,000 with 3 game stores, none of which participate in either. All three owners say participation isn't worth it, and the only one with appreciable gaming space charges to sit and play there. Given the likely lack of interest, that doesn't seem like a good investment to me.

So I'm debating if I want to drive 1.5 hours (to the nearest participating store) or miss Free RPG day for the first time in 6 years. Sadly, I'm leaning toward the latter.
Sounds like a place a decent store could successfully compete in.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Sounds like a place a decent store could successfully compete in.

All three existing stores told me they had participated a year or more back and there just wasn't any interest. One guy (at by far the largest of the three) showed me the stack of stuff from last year's Free RPG Day that he still had because nobody had want6ed it.

I don't really understand - there's a big college that pulls in ~17,000 students and a thriving arts and counterculture scene - but apparently no demand for Free RPG Day stuff. So it goes.

darjr

I crit!
Look what Zweihander is doing for Free RPG Day! #zweihander #ttrpg #freerpgday
Quoted
I am lucky to have an FLGS nearby. But many folks don't or are taking precautions with the pandemic.

That's why I am offering the 100+ page ZWEIHANDER RPG: Session Zero digitally for free in advance of Free RPG Day! Simply fill out this Google form for the redemption URL:

🔗FREE RPG DAY 2023: Zweihander Session Zero

Retreater

Legend
All three existing stores told me they had participated a year or more back and there just wasn't any interest. One guy (at by far the largest of the three) showed me the stack of stuff from last year's Free RPG Day that he still had because nobody had want6ed it.
I feel bad about myself. I could do more to encourage the local game scene. I used to run games at the FLGS, but no one picked up the slack and I got burned out. I was about to start again when real life responsibilities with job and family came up.
I am doing what I can. I'm getting more RPGs in our local library. That's probably not helping the game stores though...

Remove ads