Free RPG Day is this weekend!

darjr

I crit!
I feel bad about myself. I could do more to encourage the local game scene. I used to run games at the FLGS, but no one picked up the slack and I got burned out. I was about to start again when real life responsibilities with job and family came up.
I am doing what I can. I'm getting more RPGs in our local library. That's probably not helping the game stores though...
One thing I do is after i'm done with a campaign I tell the players they can't be in the next one, one or more of them should pick up a table and run a campaign. So far it's always worked, sometimes two or three people pick up a table. Yes, many times they don't last, but enough do, and some of them become regular DM's.

Then my next table I'll announce on the socials as for brand new players first and others who weren't on the previous table.

darjr

I crit!
here is a direct link to drive thru for the Zweihander starter set.

Or try this.

Last edited:

aco175

Legend
All three existing stores told me they had participated a year or more back and there just wasn't any interest. One guy (at by far the largest of the three) showed me the stack of stuff from last year's Free RPG Day that he still had because nobody had want6ed it.

I don't really understand - there's a big college that pulls in ~17,000 students and a thriving arts and counterculture scene - but apparently no demand for Free RPG Day stuff. So it goes.
I wonder if it is a marketing thing. I only saw this thread the other day and already have plans for Saturday, so I will not be participating. I also wonder some if the idea of free stuff equates to some as not as good as the stuff I pay for. We had some of this discussion for DMsGuild and that. There could also be some of not seeing anything one would not want to try. I would go just for D&D, but might try something like a card game or 'easy' D&D.

I also work in a large town with several colleges, but 95% of the kids have gone home by now.

It'll take more then product to get people to play a new game.

A majority of players would be fine with playing D&D forever.

Developing and supporting game masters is a separate thing that seemingly gets ignored.

And hype generation isn't easy.

How many local people are willing to put in the hours week in, week out? Never enough.
I wonder if it is a marketing thing. I only saw this thread the other day and already have plans for Saturday, so I will not be participating. I also wonder some if the idea of free stuff equates to some as not as good as the stuff I pay for. We had some of this discussion for DMsGuild and that. There could also be some of not seeing anything one would not want to try. I would go just for D&D, but might try something like a card game or 'easy' D&D.

I also work in a large town with several colleges, but 95% of the kids have gone home by now.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing

The fact that school is out probably factors into the low turnout, but low turnout is low turnout regardless of the reason.

For my part I'm always after the DCC stuff, but all of it tends to be interesting to some degree.

Remove ads