• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Freedom City Campaign [M&M2] - OOC Discussion

Insight

Adventurer
DM_Matt,

Let me check over your prior submission and see what it looks like. You won't be able to join the rest of them right away (they are in the middle of something, and it would be rather odd to say the least for your character to 'appear' right now). I should have an answer for you this weekend.

DM_Matt

First Post
Graf said:
Unless s/he was captured in a "holding cell"...
(just a thought)

He can teleport through electrical/phone systems and wires, and control machines. This particular prison would have trouble holding him. Of course, that also means that he could very easily get to where you are, if say, he happened to be investigating sometinhg similar and came upon the same place. Because he can see where he is teleporting, he could have noticed the other heroes and chosen to land at their location.

hero4hire

Explorer
DM_Matt said:
He can teleport through electrical/phone systems and wires, and control machines. This particular prison would have trouble holding him. Of course, that also means that he could very easily get to where you are, if say, he happened to be investigating sometinhg similar and came upon the same place. Because he can see where he is teleporting, he could have noticed the other heroes and chosen to land at their location.

We seem to be a bit heavy on the "techie" types of characters.

DM_Matt

First Post
hero4hire said:
We seem to be a bit heavy on the "techie" types of characters.

Well, he's not actually a techie per se, but his primary power is electrical control (Or rather, his primary power is a physiology that readily and stablely accepts mutations, but his primary active power is electrical control). He is to a hacker as a sorceror is to a wizard. He can commune with and command electronics intuitively, but he couldnt sit down and write an app, can't explain strange technologies he encounters, etc.

hero4hire

Explorer
Yeah...I just fear for any computer we come up against.
Bastion has a +15 raw skill
Entrapper has some computer skill and is a master codebreaker
Nanite shapshifting can hack into computers
Mnemonic can steal other people's computer skills and use them at lightning speed.

and now your guy with Cyberpathy :)

Thats pretty tech heavy IMO.

Insight

Adventurer
hero4hire said:
Yeah...I just fear for any computer we come up against.
Bastion has a +15 raw skill
Entrapper has some computer skill and is a master codebreaker
Nanite shapshifting can hack into computers
Mnemonic can steal other people's computer skills and use them at lightning speed.

and now your guy with Cyberpathy :)

Thats pretty tech heavy IMO.

DM_Matt, it wouldn't be a terrible idea to come up with something different. I agree with hero4hire that your character has similar abilities to those already in the group, albeit the electrical powers are significantly different.

EDIT: I've had a chance to look at Power Surge again. I'd like for you to think about either creating a different character or streamlining Power Surge. The main reason he wasn't selected before was that his powers are too "all over the place" for my taste. The character seems to be designed to be able to do everything, and I'm not a big fan of those sorts of characters.

Here are the main problems that I've identified:

1. The Alternate Power feat has to be applied to each of the additional powers in your array. I don't see that added to anything in your character post.

2. I'm not going to allow Full Power on powers where it doesn't matter whether or not you use full power. In your case, Mind Control and Datalink. Since your array isn't dynamic, and applying extra ranks doesn't have a detrimental effect, I'm not going to allow the Full Power flaw. There's no penalty for you to use full power with those abilities. It's perfectly OK for attack powers such as Strike, Blast, Disintegrate, etc.

3. I don't know if I'm on board with some of the powers in your array. It's specifically an electrical control array, yet some of these powers don't seem to be electrical in nature: Mind Control and Telekinesis in particular. They don't seem to be in line with the rest of the powers in the array.

4. I'm not really comfortable with the side effect aura strike power in your array. If you're going to take a 2-pt flaw for Side Effect, it's going to affect you all the time, regardless of your force field. You might be better served to get rid of that side effect or change it to something that's less likely to kill you.

5. Why does Power Surge have Telepathy and Resurrection? Seems like you just tacked these on at the end. They don't make much sense for the character.

My recommendation, if you are really keen on playing Power Surge, is to remove some of the problem areas I've identified above. It might be easier to rebuild him from scratch, but that's up to you. Or just make a different character altogether.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads