Freeport- Part 1: the Problem with Crematoriums

JimAde

First Post
Torren Blackquill Human Wizard Fop

DarkMaster said:
My word usually do not have a strong impact but there is no way I go in this boat tonight with this storm coming. These people are crazy.

"I am willing to go with you, but not tonight, the weather is too bad and we all risk dying before we even get there. I also suggest we get a bit more information about this place tonight and prepare ourself accordingly. Also it would be nice if we could figure out how the poor man died, if we don't want to die the same way. I think monkey man [OOC no social skill] already started the investigation"

Then I look around to see how the people will react to this suggestion.
Torren regards this striking apparition blankly for a moment, then says "I don't believe we can afford to wait. Communication with the island has been lost and, as the sergeant pointed out, the people there perform a highly valuable service for this city. I have been in cities where the dead are not so speedily interred and it is not pleasant." Torren looks after the retreating guards carrying the stretcher. "Besides, I wish to know what has happened to Warty Pete. Examining his body seems wise, I agree, but I will go to the island today. The weather will hold if we hurry."

Kangaxx

First Post
Zoraster Surefoot, Halfling Swashbuckler

JimAde said:
Torren regards this striking apparition blankly for a moment, then says "I don't believe we can afford to wait. Communication with the island has been lost and, as the sergeant pointed out, the people there perform a highly valuable service for this city. I have been in cities where the dead are not so speedily interred and it is not pleasant." Torren looks after the retreating guards carrying the stretcher. "Besides, I wish to know what has happened to Warty Pete. Examining his body seems wise, I agree, but I will go to the island today. The weather will hold if we hurry."

Zoraster also turns to look at the latest arrival. "Yes, there's no reason to wait for tonight when today will do." *Looks over the corpse Villard is carrying.* "I'd expect you to be the one in a rush, carting around a dead woman like that. She'll probably be drawing flies by the morrow." *Zoraster scrunches up his nose, then looks back to the rest of the group.* "Let us be off."

[OOC: If most of the party members voice agreement, Zoraster will head for the black pier.]

Last edited:

Karl Green

First Post
DarkMaster said:
My word usually do not have a strong impact but there is no way I go in this boat tonight with this storm coming. These people are crazy.

"I am willing to go with you, but not tonight, the weather is too bad and we all risk dying before we even get there. I also suggest we get a bit more information about this place tonight and prepare ourself accordingly. Also it would be nice if we could figure out how the poor man died, if we don't want to die the same way. I think monkey man [OOC no social skill] already started the investigation"

Then I look around to see how the people will react to this suggestion.

[OCC - just a quick note, that at the present it is late afternoon, still somewhat sunny and warm but the storm clouds are still rolling in. You have a couple of hours before the storm hits... but that means that you will probably be stuck out on the island for the night. It will take about a hour and a half, to two hours to rowing out to the island or back]

DarkMaster

First Post
Karl Green said:
[OCC - just a quick note, that at the present it is late afternoon, still somewhat sunny and warm but the storm clouds are still rolling in. You have a couple of hours before the storm hits... but that means that you will probably be stuck out on the island for the night. It will take about a hour and a half, to two hours to rowing out to the island or back]
[OCC Ok didn't know that]

Villard overheard from the crowd that it takes about two hours to get there, and looking at the dead body of Enrama. "Ok I will go with you, you are right I cannot wait to long." turning towards Fentrith. "Fentrith, that your name right, as a holy man can you identified what killed this poor man, and if you know anything about this Island, I would like you to tell us on our way there. Thanks"

Villard wait for an answer from the cleric, realising quickly, that again, people are probably getting annoyed by his remark.

Karl Green

First Post
[Sorry about that DarkMaster, sometimes not always so clear :)]
[OCC assuming that the party makes it way down the docks following the two Watch members hauling the body]

As the group makes it way down the docks, the two Watchmen struggle with the body on the stretch "Bugger me, oi now this feller is heavi now, what." and similar complains come from them.

After a minute or two the group comes upon the last dock of Freeport. It is painted black, although it is in sore need of a new paint job and wind and weather have taken it’s took on the faded color. There is a small warehouse at the end of the pier, also painted black with the symbol of Wee Jas hanging over the front door.

Father Finnegan Reel appears out the door and assures the Watchmen into the building. Black Jack notices a medium sized row boat heading this way, being piloted by another two members of the Watch. Inside the building there are five small tables set up along the walls, three of which have shrouded bodies on them. There is also a small door straight ahead that leads deeper into the building. Father Reel directs the warriors to put the body of Warty Pete onto one of the unoccupied tables. Seeing Villard, the Father says “Dear or dear me… well put the body over there on the last table lad… whatever am I going to do if any more show up. Oh dear me… dear me…” He looks around at the group as the two Watchmen leave and say “So ah now, I see you picked up a few more ‘troubleshooters’ I would say; well good, very good. Never know what one might find out there, and it is always good to be prepared. So let me see, I only have about 100 gold crowns here at the shire, most of our money is held in the 1st Merchant Bank of Freeport, so I will have to draw that out for the lot of you tomorrow. But I am always here, so you can trust me I am sure. I believe that the Watch Sergeant was going to have a boat or something for you… I don’t suppose that if it is large enough that you would be able to take these poor unfortunate souls along with you?

Last edited:

rangerjohn

Explorer
"That would be quite the boat mate, unless someone here can help me row I doubt it." Black Jack says. *As he looks around to see if anyone else admits to the skill.*

JimAde

First Post
Torren Blackquill Human Wizard Fop

As the rest of the group makes its way toward the black pier, Torren signs to Kitsch, ~Don't let them leave until I return, OK?~. Then he trots off toward his shop. He dashes inside quickly and slings a leather bag over his shoulder. Always nice to have a few surprise on hand, he thinks.

After making sure to lock up and ensuring that his magical wards are in place, he dashes back to the pier.

[OOC: I just didn't think Torren would be carting all this stuff along during the day, plus he'd want to make sure the shop was OK if he had to be away for the night. If they're going to examine the body and everything, I should have time. Just let me know when I get back.]

Hammerhead

Explorer
Fentrith shrugs in regards to Villard's interrogation. "Well, you know mate, I'm a priest of Harrimast. Not like I'm a bloody saint or anything of the sort. Nor do I know much about tombs and th' like, other than to avoid them whenever possible."

"I s'pose I could divine what killed the body by askin' him, but I doubt much that Finnigan would like that too much. Not a fan of speaking to corpses myself, kind of depressing, you know?"

Fentrith Fade walks to the Black Pier with the rest. I don't want to take a bunch of corpses aboard. Bad luck, and all that. Sides, they probably stink. We could just dump 'em once we're out of sight...

...That's wouldn't be righteous, though, would it? Still kind of funny though.

"Sure, mate, we'll do as you ask. But if we run into a peck of trouble, we expect more adequate compensation, you know? And it's rowing, mate, not that difficult. An eight year old girl could probably row well enough." Fentrith smirks, wondering just what kind of sailor this elf was.

Watching Torren leave, he pretends to ignore the filcher. "So, mates, I didn't like the look of that one anyhow. Now that he's gone, why don't we leave him here?"

Ferrix

Explorer
Torren's probably closing up his shop, need to keep all these people here. The halfling looks like a lucky one to keep around, got the air of the sea about him.

Chittering something particularly derisory in the Filcher tongue at Fentrith, he scampers to the side of the halfling and gestures in an almost manic frenzy something that looks akin to pointing at the majority of people in the room and then at the ground beneath his feet.

Bloody humans, always ready to leave people behind, this one in particular seems like he might be a mess of trouble, though that bastard sword looks like its well-used and quite expensive. Maybe he'll have some use after all.

OOC: sorry for the bit of delay in my posting, it's finals time so i'm caught between slacking off writing papers like a crazy person and whatever else i end up doing.. and lemurs aren't monkeys dang it! ;-) they're prosimians or primates, but they look quite distinctive from the majority of monkeys... national geographic has some good pictures of them

Remove ads