• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

From humble beginnings...

Narrator

Banned
Banned
Lord Montaigne

"The Thirsty Gnoll? Oh, why, heavens no! Why on oerth would you ever drink there? In fact, I seem to recall revoking his license to sell liquor."

Shuffling in until he's comfortable in his ornate armchair, the Lord Veris Montaigne suddenly takes on a decidely business-like demeanor; if there was any doubt that he was mayor before, such doubts were now cast aside as he seemed to take on a wholly different persona.

"I'm rather more relaxed now, I think. If it's not too much bother, perhaps we could get down to business? Assuming you are all still interested..."

Manzanita

First Post
Manzanita smiles wanly to herself as she sits. She does not ask for a drink.

These humans...proud, hasty, dependent upon drink. How did they conquor the world?

I assume we have all been approved to join this Pheonix Guard. Praytell Mayor, what will be our mission?

Narrator

Banned
Banned
Lord Montaigne

After refusing the offer of a drink, Veris raises his eyebrows, shrugs and pours himself a little more.

"Ah, well milady, the specifics I cannot enlighten you upon for I do not know. It's all very hush, hush. Only Tarvoden and the Viscount know the details. However, I know that it involves the transport of some cargo from Critwall and the return of some cargo from an undisclosed location."

At this, Veris looks a little uncomfortable but within moments, regains his business persona.

"I'm not one for cloak and dagger. The running of this city is trouble enough for me. However I'm to understand that Tarvoden will make it known to all of us the details shortly. Once agreed upon, I am to get you to sign some papers and then I am to give you half your payment now in advance, plus a small bursury for expenses, and some papers, and some sealed instructions. All far too exciting for me you understand."

Garik

Banned
Banned
Garik listens to Tarvoden's words carefully and nods.

I am no mercenary worthy sir. I did not come to these strange lands to win a purse or be judged by one such as that. I've seen enough fat merchant princes to know his type. I am seeking my path and something told me you might play some part in that.

This man seems to care more about the threat of evil, than any blind fidelity. I think I can trust him.

Worry not about the gold, I have no need of it. If the others are willing and the journey worthwhile, they will have my sword.

Grenier

First Post
Grenier grins widely.

"Critwall aye? I knew there had to be something worth 500 gold... Tell me, is Critwall still ruled by the Old One as I've been told?"

M'faro

First Post
Forgive my ignorance, but... where does Critwall is?

OOC: From sheep herder to soldier and then to refugee M'faro didn't have much time to learn geography :)

Waving his hand as if the answer doesn't matter

Anyway, if it's ruled by the Old One I'll be glad to kick it out of there!

Narrator

Banned
Banned
Tarvoden

As Garik finishes, he notices Tarvoden breathe an almost sigh of relief.

"You have my word, Sir, as a Knight of the Hart, the mission is most worthy and one that I feel you would be proud to undertake. The Lord Derwent's money was merely a means to an end and again, I'm sorry if he offended you.

With an almost childish grin of delight he continued.

"Come, and I shall reveal finally the mission so that we can end all this subterfuge.

Tarvoden then turns and begins walking back up the stairs. Assuming you follow him, you end up back in the chambers with the others.

Narrator

Banned
Banned
Lord Montaigne

At the mention of the Old One and Critwall, Veris' demeanor darkened and he seemed to wither. Dropping his eyes a little he continued in a subdued voice.

"Yes, yes unfortunately Iuz now controls Critwall, though his control is... tenous at best. He uses Critwall as his gateway now for ferrying cargo from the Nyr Dyv and the former Shield Lands up to Whyestil Lake along the Veng. It is vital to the sustainability of his armies for without the crops of the Shield Lands and the trade he conducts through the black market, he wouldn't have anything to feed his vicious hordes."

He sits for a moment as if remembering something and you notice him rubbing his hands together with white knuckled force. Suddenly, he regains his composure and all blackness is gone from his mood.

"But we do not strike at him for we have a treaty. And so we sit and watch as the Cambion Lord refits, regathers and refreshes his armies. We sit and do nothing whilst our own people starve and suffer disease. At least..."

At this, the Lord Veris Montaigne takes on a decidely mischevious look.

"...at least, that is what we would have him believe."

He goes to refill his snifter and in mid reach seems to decide better of it. He then turns to M'faro and continues.

"In answer to your question, I have a map..."

He gets up and walks over to his desk and from the voluminous and fluffy garments he wears, produces a set of ornate keys. Using one, he opens up a drawer and pulls out several maps, one of which he unfurls and beckons you over to the table to see.

"Here we are, and here Critwall is; as you can see, a weeks march for an army, five days if forced."

OOC: Here's a map of the two areas he's pointing out. Viscounty of the March. Gorsend is in the middle and an arrow points to Critwall. One hex equals twenty miles.

Manzanita

First Post
OOC: Does Manzanita's bardic knowledge bring anything to mind regarding Critwall?

This sounds dangerous, but the money is right, as is the purpose. I just wish I'd studied the art of disguise more...

Tell us more, Lord Montaigne. This sounds very interesting.

Bor

Banned
Banned
Bor has been nervously pacing the chambers but upon hearing of Critwall he stopped.

"Critwall? I've heard euroz and jebli have the place overrun! I've even heard tell of hoch jebline taking human slaves to be cooked on a spit! And you want us to go into that pit of the Abyss?"

Jebli! I knew I was gonna get myself into something like this. Stupid, stupid. I'll bet this is how father felt before...

Bor heaves a sigh and continues.

"Let's just get this plain, it's 500 gold pieces EACH, right?"

Remove ads