• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

From humble beginnings...

Narrator

Banned
Banned
The Viscount calmly listened, leaning slightly back, his arm leaning against the rest and holding his head, his hand stroking his chin as he watched your responses.

Then as Bor finished, he stopped. Nodded his head slightly, took a deep breath and got up. Turning to Lord Montaigne, as he collected his belongings - which consisted of a sword that you now realize was resting just a grab away; his feathered hat upon the mantle to one side; and a fine silk coat- he addressed him as he was just about to scamper into action to help the Viscount.

"No need, no need, my Lord Montaigne. See to what we discussed earlier, yes?"

The short and pudgy Lord Montaigne bowed graciously and with relief as the Viscount made to leave.

As he came towards you all he stopped. Made a slight bow, almost just a nod, and addressed you all one last time.

"Good day, gentlemen, and milady, I trust one day I shall see you again. Until then, may Fharlanghn watch over your travels."

And with that, he moved straight through the group of you, fully expecting that you would get out of his way, which instinctively you did.

As he reached the doorway, it opened for him as if by magic. From various places around the chamber, tapestries hanging from the walls swished as if blown by an unseen source.

Almost a minute passed before anybody made a sound and the person to do so was the Lord Montaigne, greatfully glug-glugging a decent sized shot from the snifter of brandy, which he had just poured.

"Wha... whha... would any of you like a drink?"

His voice was mousy, almost a squeek but in it you could definitely hear fear.

OOC: Clete, when the sounds tapestries swooshed, you think you heard several footfalls pass you by moments later.

Last edited:

Grenier

First Post
A bit bewildered by the past couple minutes Grenier quickly turns his head to look to the rear and then looks back to Lord Montaigne.

"Ugh... if ye didn't consider it an imposition, yes I would fancy a drink."

I'm gonna need half of what he has left to set me straight.

Grenier smiles and looks to see if there's an empty glass, if not he'll ready to take out his silver flask. Though waits for Lord Montaigne response first till he pulls it out.

OOC: Well that needed a second read and a half to set straight!
For red text use the color drop down box or, {color=red}Text{/color}, replace { } with [ ].

Narrator

Banned
Banned
Lord Montaigne

"N... n... not... not at a... a... all... ppp... puhlease, pull up a ch... ch... chair."

The little lord indicates to several chairs that line the walls in various places and begins getting out extra glasses from a cabinet near the desk across the chamber.

"Mmm... mm... mah... my nerves... oh dear, mmm... my nerves are shattered! I... I... I need a moment to gather myself. Ppp... ppp... ppppp... please, please sit, sit and talk with me a moment... I'm sure there are many quue... quuu... questions!"

Fanning himself for a second before pouring an extra snifter full, he closed his eyes and took a few deep breathes before continuing.

"I'm, not always this nervous you know. But when he comes here... with them... and when you held on to your weapon... oh mmm... mmm... my, I thought I was going to have babies!"

He once again tried to calm himself before passing the snifter to Grenier.

"Such times... such times we live in. Gorsend used to be such a pretty place, such a pretty place. Tanabat was so wonderful, flowers and laughter everywhere. We used to be one of the great produce capitals, you know, with many a fine wine grown on vineyards near here... but not now, too many crops have gone to rot and the people... oh, the poor people..."

He seemed to drift off for a second, swirling his brandy around a little and taking a sniff. He then suddenly recollected himself and profferred the glass.

"Anyone else?"

Grenier

First Post
"Hard times indeed."

Grenier says as he pulls up a chair and sits down. He then continues and pours himself some brandy.

"So who do you mean by 'them', that come with the viscount?"

M'faro

First Post
M'faro sits next to Grenier and reaches for the brandy offeredby the lord

I'll have some, thank you Sir.

To Grenier

What was all this about? If Tarvoden is so trusted by the Viscount, why made us pass thourgh this?

To the little lord

What do you mean by "them"?

Last edited:

Narrator

Banned
Banned
Lord Montaigne

Lord Montaigne pours M'faro a snifter-full of brandy.

"By...

He stops suddenly and looks around in a nervous fashion before continuing.

"By 'them', I mean his personal bodyguards... you wouldn't have gotten your bolt half drawn before you were dead on the ground... trust me on this. They make me so nervous... I'm not a man of violence, I abhor it, though I understand that one in his position... well, it comes with the territory now, doesn't it?"

Narrator

Banned
Banned
Lord Montaigne

Seating himself, with more snifters laid out on the little table, he sat down.

"Permit me to answer that, Mr. M'faro. You see, it is not a matter of him trusting Tarvoden, but of him trusting you. Tarvoden my very well be an honourable fellow, but it is not his money being invested in this... venture."

M'faro

First Post
Ah! Fine brandy Sir!

Finishing his drink

Not like what we drink at the Thirsty Gnoll!

Last edited:

Remove ads