• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E From zero to Reign of Winter AP... Help!

ibkevg

First Post
Myself and a few friends are interesting in playing the Reign of Winter adventure path but none of us have played Pathfinder before. The problem is no one, including me, has a lot of time to devote to reading and coming to grips with the rules (having spent an evening now with the Pathfinder core rulebook, my head is exploding.)

Is there a rules-light style of play that would allow us to experience the story (perhaps at the cost of the some richness of gameplay?) For example, would it be feasible to play using only the rules found in the Beginner Set?

I know that there are other game systems that would be more inline with the time we have to devote to learning but in this case the draw is the adventure path itself.

Kinak

First Post
The Beginner Box is a great introduction but only covers up through level 5. That's about the first book of the AP.

My suggestion would be to run a few sessions of the Beginner's Box material and let people try out different characters while everyone gets a handle on the rules. The Box does a good job getting you started and also has a document to help transition to the full system.

Cheers!
Kinak

Ezequielramone

Explorer
The beginner box is what you need. It's a light version of the game. Runs great and has advises on how to upgrade to complete game version. It assumes that both players and gm are new in the hobby. It even has a little single player example of play.
and you have to know that much of the game start to show up in the game at higher level. So starting at first level is kind of light.
Having a gm's screen will help you since it has status, lot of DCs and useful information.

Last edited:

Remove ads