• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ftr/Wiz build?

smootrk

First Post
I believe they made a mistake (by omission of application to all the instances where reach weapons vs. soft cover are cited). I believe (and this is my personal opinion) that the errata was intended to cover this issue with an overlying rule - howeverly poorly executed. I would rule that reach melee weapons are designed and intended for use in situations just like this - historical models (or common sense) trumps clunky rules.

Votan

Explorer
smootrk said:
I believe they made a mistake (by omission of application to all the instances where reach weapons vs. soft cover are cited). I believe (and this is my personal opinion) that the errata was intended to cover this issue with an overlying rule - howeverly poorly executed. I would rule that reach melee weapons are designed and intended for use in situations just like this - historical models (or common sense) trumps clunky rules.

Well, the common sense part depends on the reach weapon. I'd tend agree with a glaive but I have a little less toruble seein soft cover as a problem for a spiked chain. Depending on which weapon I look at, the argument seems to shift.

I agree completely that the rule is now so badl written that it is technically contradictory and thus a very bad rule. In such cases, a definite conclusion is impossible. :( So one should be prepared to see either viewpoint in a rules discussion until/unless sage advice clarifies this further.

smootrk

First Post
I would agree with your spiked chain exception. That weapon is just goofy. In my opinion, a weapon like that requires its full reach in all directions to build the momentum, and the actual attack more closely resembles a ranged attack (albeit still attached to the wielder). There is no real historical model for the spiked chain, except possibly the weighted chain weapons of the asian variety, and even those are not much like the description of the spiked-chain.

Aside from the odd-ball weapons, the rule might be changed to "polearm" type weapons ignore soft cover within their reach by design. But then again, I am not the rule-sages who determine these sorts of things.

Land Outcast

Explorer
I think "the" question to ask about the OP is:

Fighter who buffs itself? <-Sorcerer, Eldrich Knight or Spellsword, with Arcane Strike feat

Wizards who knows how to use a weapon? <- Bad way to go

A warrior who uses both spell and sword? <- Duskblade (I don't know the class, but from comments...)

Caspian

First Post
Eventually I'm going for an archer EdK, but the main idea was to get some self sufficiency from the party in the case the meat shields go down.

Votan

Explorer
smootrk said:
I would agree with your spiked chain exception. That weapon is just goofy. In my opinion, a weapon like that requires its full reach in all directions to build the momentum, and the actual attack more closely resembles a ranged attack (albeit still attached to the wielder). There is no real historical model for the spiked chain, except possibly the weighted chain weapons of the asian variety, and even those are not much like the description of the spiked-chain.

Aside from the odd-ball weapons, the rule might be changed to "polearm" type weapons ignore soft cover within their reach by design. But then again, I am not the rule-sages who determine these sorts of things.

Having tried simulated combat with a polearm and spear, I can see your point. But I think of spiked chains and whips; the problem is that this is a case where a single rule is going to be inadequete. I quite like not applying soft cover to spears and polearms (hello, new house rule) as it gives these weapons a reason to be popular compared to the Spiked Chain (which, otherwise, just is too damn good).

Bront

The man with the probe
Caspian said:
Eventually I'm going for an archer EdK, but the main idea was to get some self sufficiency from the party in the case the meat shields go down.
Use my suggested Archer build ideas then. You'll still be ok with other weapons, but Archery Skills are the most congruant with wizard skills (particularly ranged), and most party memebers understand how to protect archers even if they don't get the protect the mage thing. Is it arcane or is it mundane? Either way, you're lobbing death ;)

What level, starting stats, gold, etc are you starting with?

Remove ads