Fudging the Numbers in 3ed - Forked from: Why do you keep playing 4e?

JoeGKushner

First Post
Fairly unique situation?

Check.

Something unlikely for the players to ever have?

Check.

Something that's been done a time or two in other editions? (I remember Apocalpyse Stone, there's a suit of full plate that allows a spellcaster to wear it and then I remember the Iron Mage... hmmmmm...)

Check.

Fudging on the fly is far different than deliberately designing a monster to 'break' the rules in order to provide a strange type of challenge.

Heck, the adventure Monte did for Atlas where the players have to hunt his ghost down in his lair is pretty much a similiar vein.

Anybody play Monte Cook's module Queen of Lies?

Spoiler alert.

[sblock]The BBEG at the end is a drow chick with an embedded twin. Yes, she has a little Quatto twin, just a face with one tiny little fetus arm (just enough for somatic components), and she keeps it cleverly hidden under her cloak.

The "host" drow chick is a high level cleric. And her embedded twin is a sorcerer. So this BBEG casts a cleric spell every round, and also a sorcerer spell every round.

But she only has one hit point total, one set of abilities, one statblock, etc. She just "arbitrarily" gets to cast two spells per round because she has an embedded twin.[/sblock]

Needless to say, my players freaked out.

So there's Monte Cook. Tell him how bad he cheated.

Remove ads