• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Full preview unlocked!

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
Doesn't look like unearthed arcana for 5e. Alas.

What are you looking for in an "unearthed arcana"? I see:

4 pages for Gods of Your World
2 pages for Magic in Your World
6 pages for Downtime Activities
7 pages for Play Style and Flavors of Fantasy
6 pages for Other Rewards
15 pages total for Exploration, Social Interaction, Combat, and Chases
15 pages total for Ability Options, Adventuring Options, Combat Options, and Creating New Character Options

aramis erak

Legend
I notice the revised TOC has page on Siege Equipment... I wouldn't rule out some form of siege warfare system buried somewhere... Nor would I hold my breath.

Grainger

Explorer
I'm looking forward to the planar information. One of the bedroom doors in my house keeps getting stuck, and I need to take a bit off the top edge to make it fit better. I'm glad to see they've allocated so many pages for the home improvement fanatics among us.

Hereticus

First Post
I'm extremely disappointed in the content. I want magic... not guns, bombs and dynamite. And I don't want aliens either.

I was pretty negative on the featured information, so I guess I owe everyone an explanation.

In my opinion what is featured in limited releases is something that is different, that often signifies a change in direction.

I like role playing in a world of magic, devoid of things such as firearms (I'm a Vermonter, enough said), technology (I'm an engineer), aliens (I believe they exist) and bombs (no, I don't make them in my basement).

To sum up my objection; I see a lot less magic in 5.0, and I fear that as a trend a shortage of magic will be replaced by non-magical weapons.

That said, I'm glad that everyone can customize their games as they like, using optional rules, and even changing or ignoring stated rules as best applies to their games.

Last edited:

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I was pretty negative on the featured information, so I guess I owe everyone an explanation.

In my opinion what is featured in limited releases is something that is different, that often signifies a change in direction.

I like role playing in a world of magic, devoid of things such as firearms (I'm a Vermonter, enough said), technology (I'm an engineer), aliens (I believe they exist) and bombs (no, I don't make them in my basement).

To sum up my objection; I see a lot less magic in 5.0, and I fear that as a trend a shortage of magic will be replaced by non-magical weapons.

That said, I'm glad that everyone can customize their games as they like, using optional rules, and even changing or ignoring stated rules as best applies to their games.

I am curious if you grew up on AD&D 1e for your initial dungeons and dragons experiences, or something else? Because for me, this is just a minor throw-back to the 1e DMG. It never changed the character of the game in the way you fear - it purely served as a skeletal basis for other non-D&D games like Boot Hill, Star Frontiers, and one D&D module (Barrier Peaks).

At least for me, AD&D 1e was more magical than 3e and 4e D&D, and it's also the edition that had these same type of rules tucked in the DMG in roughly the same way.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Given that in the past we have paid money for entire books that were unearthed arcana, and planes, and are expecting information on grids, and are hoping for mass battle rules, and rules on point buys magic systems, and alternate healing and and and, that looks like a short list of pages. Some of those topics took up books, or dozens of pages before. Heck, they took up dozens of magazine issues also.

Lord Blackstone

First Post
My only disappointment is that only one page is dedicated to Known Worlds of the Material Planes... so.... what, a paragraph of the many Dungeons and Dragons worlds.....Forgotten Realms, Dragonlance, Greyhawk, Eberron, Ravenloft (could be in the Shadowfell section), Birthright, Mystara, Dark Sun, Nentir Vale and others.. Seems like not a lot of space for such an important part of the game itself. I was personally hoping for a Basic World Map and a one to one and half page primer on each at least.

Remathilis

Legend

Third edition had alien tech and firearms in it; I don't think it changed much to D&D.

And I can't see how there is less magic; EVERY class has a casting option for magic, more than half are full-casters.

I don't expect this to be a one-off option for those DMs who use them and ignored by the vast majority of other DMs.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Given that in the past we have paid money for entire books that were unearthed arcana, and planes, and are expecting information on grids, and are hoping for mass battle rules, and rules on point buys magic systems, and alternate healing and and and, that looks like a short list of pages. Some of those topics took up books, or dozens of pages before. Heck, they took up dozens of magazine issues also.

You want multiple entire books and magazine issues all in the one DMG?

aramis erak

Legend
I think it's great that firearms and alien guns are in the DMG. I have a few old dungeon magazine adventures I can now use.

I'm thinking folks who like spelljammer and other fantastic settings will be very happy.

I am curious if you grew up on AD&D 1e for your initial dungeons and dragons experiences, or something else? Because for me, this is just a minor throw-back to the 1e DMG. It never changed the character of the game in the way you fear - it purely served as a skeletal basis for other non-D&D games like Boot Hill, Star Frontiers, and one D&D module (Barrier Peaks).

At least for me, AD&D 1e was more magical than 3e and 4e D&D, and it's also the edition that had these same type of rules tucked in the DMG in roughly the same way.

Indeed, I as well. It's that Dying Earth influence - some anachrotech, albeit only in combined D&D/GW campaigns, or those with S3-EBP or the other such anomalous modules; Q1 has the spider walker. There are dribs and drabs throughout AD&D, but only a few are really out-front and can't be missed.

Remove ads