• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Full preview unlocked!

Mercurius

Legend
Yeah, I was expecting a lot more space dedicated to modular options. I was expecting a section that said, "If you want a 3.XE flavour game, swap these rules for these rules. If you want a 2E flavour game, remove these rules here and here, but add in this module of rules, etc."

However, looking at the TOC, there just doesn't seem to be enough space dedicated to something like that, which is a little disappointing.

Still, I'll be holding off full judgement until I can see the book for myself.

Yeah, I think that's wise, although it definitely does look that the folks who said WotC was backing down on the modular options thing are probably right. I don't really mind because I like 5E as it is, but it was one of the main selling points of the 5E concept and I would have liked to see more.

Who knows what 2015 will bring, though. Maybe 2014 is about establishing the core game, and then in 2015 and beyond we'll see more optional stuff.

[DND][/DND]
What is AU? Sorry I hate acronyms with a passion.

I'm guessing he means Arcana Unearthed, which was a book of optional rules in 1E (I think). In 3E we had UA (Unearthered Arcana), which was also a book of optional rules and rules that you could use to replace existing rules (i.e. alternative classes/class abilities, using wound points instead of hit points, armour as damage reduction, etc.)

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Close.

I mean, I think that's what he means as well, "Arcana Unearthed", but that is either an accident or simply incorrect, as the 1e supplemental manual of races, classes, spells, magic items, and rules...all optional additions to a given game/table, was Unearthed Arcana.

My understanding is that Monte Cooke [or one of the guys who worked on 5e] wrote some book for some other game system (not D&D) called "Arcana Unearthed" and thus, folks get these confused [understandably] all of the time.

But UA, as it's traditionally referred for the D&D books, is most assuredly a 1e product...later, the concept was dusted off and repeated for 3e.

trystero

Explorer
I'm guessing he means Arcana Unearthed, which was a book of optional rules in 1E (I think). In 3E we had UA (Unearthered Arcana), which was also a book of optional rules and rules that you could use to replace existing rules (i.e. alternative classes/class abilities, using wound points instead of hit points, armour as damage reduction, etc.)

The 1e book was titled Unearthed Arcana as well; it's the namesake of the 3e book. Arcana Unearthed was Monte Cook's "variant Player's Handbook" and not released by TSR/WotC. (And I suspect the poster actually meant "UA", but I'm prepared to be wrong.)

aramis erak

Legend
[DND][/DND]

No. the 1E was Unearthed Arcana.

Arcana Unearthed was Monte Cook's variant d20 corebooks... shortly after leaving WotC.

No. the 1E was Unearthed Arcana.

Arcana Unearthed was Monte Cook's variant d20 corebooks... shortly after leaving WotC.

ironicly arcana unearthed introduced the idea that once you knew a spell you could power it with a different level spell slot for more or less effect...

it was really cool because once you had fireball the 3rd level spell you could also cast it as a 2nd level spell...just with less effect

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Sorry, I meant UA. ...and I only used the acronym because my phone hates both words....it looks like I am not the only one that expected more than we seem to be getting. We'll see.

Zaran

Adventurer
I did a magic item count that our characters encountered through the caves in Horde of the Drag Queen, and it amounts to zero, and we are fourth level.

I think this is the result of Kobold Press not having access to that kind of stuff when they made the adventure. There are magical items in the module. There is a chance to get one in the next chapter. One could say that the plot gives a good reason why there aren't any magical items so far but there are two NPCs that one would think would have a magical item or two. I guess technically one of them had a potion of invisibility.

One of the supplemental books had aliens in it, but they were just weird monsters. There were no ray guns.

I believe it was 3.5 of PF that introduced gunslingers and bomb makers. Fortunately there were none in any of the games I joined.

I have to ask... are you serious?

Are you the one that's serious? A single two page spread on firearms and alien technology and a HUNDRED pages of magic items, not to mention the 400 or so spells in the players handbook, and you're complaining that there's too much technology and not enough magic? This is absurd.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads