• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Full round attacks

Sadrik

First Post
I would also redo some of the rules as to drawing an accessable item and drawing an inaccessable item and drawing ammunition.

Drawing ammunition and dropping an item is a free action as usual.
Drawing an accessable item is a move action (with quick draw a free action) or picking up an item is also a move action. (Dropping the +1 BAB free draw rule since full attacks are a standard action.)
Drawing an inaccessable or stowed item is a standard action. (This actually is more difficult now, it was a move action).

Kerrick

First Post
Skills and spells are written in the format of "1 round" it does not say full round action. I suppose you could give special meaning to "1 round" and still delete full round actions completely.
See below.

SRD said:
A spell that takes 1 round to cast is a full-round action. It comes into effect just before the beginning of your turn in the round after you began casting the spell. You then act normally after the spell is completed.

----
"1 round" means cannot take a move action when performing this action. Functionally it is still a standard action but it also ties on the "cannot take a move action when performing this standard action".
No, it's a full-round action - you can't do anything else - no move actions, no free actions, no nothing.

Go back and look at my chart of full round actions and see how I tackle each full round action.
I did. I don't agree with most of your changes, but hey - they're your changes, not mine.

Spiting the run action into 1.2 making it a move action that gives you x2 speed (and then taking two of them gives you x4 speed) gives you run (move action) plus attack (standard action). Simple really.
Sure, it's simple, but why? Why are PCs (and monsters, don't forget) suddenly able to move twice as far in a round? Besides, you're not technically "running" until you hit x3 - x2 is a hustle.

I know, but if you split it so that you can make a full attack as a standard action then you, don't need to have 5' steps be a free action they can be a full move action that does not draw an attack of opportunity. And a withdraw action can be deleted in favor of two 5' steps or 5' step +run or whatever.
Wait a minute. First you say that a move action can be "x2 speed", then you lump a 5-foot step into move actions as well? Why would anyone ever take a 5-foot step if they could simply make a double move?

So how many attacks does a 12th level fighter fire giant make?
What's he using? If he has a weapon, he gets four attacks (BAB +21)* at +30/+25/+20/+15. If he's using a slam attack, he gets one at +30. What's your point?

*Since his BAB is +11 and you're adding 12 levels of fighter, this pushes him into epic territory, so he only applies +9, and the other +3 are halved.

Point is that taking flurry in my current incarnation of the feat chain gives more attacks at -4 to hit. but doubles your attacks. Good bad I don't know.
Fighters would eat that up, sure... but I doubt anyone else would find it very useful.

Some monsters with insanely high attack bonus would love the feat others would not. I really don't like the divide between the monster rules and the PC rules. My multi-attack and flurry rules address that divide.
You mean the "natural weapons don't gain iteratives" rule? That's there for a reason - monsters deal as much or more damage with natural attacks than PCs do with weapons. Not to mention the fact that many monsters have 2-4 natural attacks. Imagine making 3-4 iteratives for each of a red dragon's natural attacks - it would take 10 minutes just to roll them all, and the combat would be over in 2 rounds as the dragon tore everyone apart.

Sadrik

First Post
SRD said:
A spell that takes 1 round to cast is a full-round action. It comes into effect just before the beginning of your turn in the round after you began casting the spell. You then act normally after the spell is completed.
No, it's a full-round action - you can't do anything else - no move actions, no free actions, no nothing.
I am fully aware of the definition of what "1 round" means. It is sort of like- full round action plus. If the goal is to remove full round actions. You could use the '1 round' tag used for skills and spells to mean, "Cannot take a move action when performing this action." That is it.

Sadrik said:
Cast a spell- 1 round becomes standard action
Cast a spontaneous meta-magic spell- standard action
Charge- run + attack
Coup de Grace- standard action
Escape from a net- standard action (entangled condition restricts move anyway)
Extinguish a flame- standard action
Full attack- standard action
Light a torch- standard action
Load a crossbow- standard action (light and hand move action)
Lock or unlock a weapon gauntlet- standard action
Move 5' through difficult terrain- ignore this rule
Prepare to throw a splash weapon- standard action
Run- move action but x2 speed (run + run = x4 speed)
Use a skill that takes 1 round- most require you to stay and not move to complete the skill anyway
Use a touch spell on up to 6 friends- limit this by speed rather than an arbitrary number
Withdraw- 5' step + run

I would also make a 5' step a move action under this because now you can make a 5' step and still get a full attack.
I did. I don't agree with most of your changes, but hey - they're your changes, not mine.
Snippy, :). Other than the few you list below what are the ones that you like and dislike? Are they wrong and you have a better idea of how to implement them or you simply don't like the concept?

Sure, it's simple, but why? Why are PCs (and monsters, don't forget) suddenly able to move twice as far in a round? Besides, you're not technically "running" until you hit x3 - x2 is a hustle.
Okay, I don't think you get how running is working here. Rather than making a full action to run at x4 pace it is instead a move action to run at x2 pace. I would also include that you get +2 to attack and +2 to bulls rush attempts (as charge). Under run it says you lose your dex bonus and under charge it says you get -2 AC. For simplicity, I would say -2 AC and that way guys with 11 or less dex actually lose something when they run and guys with 16+ dex don't get raked over the coals when they run.
So to expand on this if you are in heavy armor you only move x1.5 for each move action and if you have the run feat you move x2.5 for ever move action. Additionally, if you down grade your standard action to a move action you will be able to take two run actions. Example: 30 speed, character wants to run for both of his actions, he will move 60 and 60 again (120). Which is the same as having took the full round action.

Wait a minute. First you say that a move action can be "x2 speed", then you lump a 5-foot step into move actions as well? Why would anyone ever take a 5-foot step if they could simply make a double move?
5' step is a move action because now that a full attack is a standard action it is available to be done that way. 5' steps have a lot of exceptions and rulesy text to get them to work right. By moving them to a move action you remove that complexity and open up several options that did not exist before.

SRD said:
You can move 5 feet in any round when you don’t perform any other kind of movement. Taking this 5-foot step never provokes an attack of opportunity. You can’t take more than one 5-foot step in a round, and you can’t take a 5-foot step in the same round when you move any distance.

You can take a 5-foot step before, during, or after your other actions in the round.

You can only take a 5-foot step if your movement isn’t hampered by difficult terrain or darkness. Any creature with a speed of 5 feet or less can’t take a 5-foot step, since moving even 5 feet requires a move action for such a slow creature.

You may not take a 5-foot step using a form of movement for which you do not have a listed speed.
Basically, I would move it to the movement section and say:
You can move 5' in a round if you have a 10 speed or greater. Taking this 5-foot step never provokes an attack of opportunity.

All of the other stuff is handled by the definition of move action or by spring attack feat or just deleted (can't take a 5' step in difficult terrain or darkness)

What's he using? If he has a weapon, he gets four attacks (BAB +21)* at +30/+25/+20/+15. If he's using a slam attack, he gets one at +30. What's your point?
Kerrick said:
Monsters cannot and should not be able to make iterative attacks with natural weapons.
The point was that you felt monsters should not get iterative attacks.

Fighters would eat that up, sure... but I doubt anyone else would find it very useful.
Agreed, and I think that high BAB monsters would too. I am looking for a way that monsters and PCs can both grab the feat and be able to gain the same benefit. -4 to all attacks and make two attacks with all of your attacks is what I have right now. Anything better using those design parameters?

You mean the "natural weapons don't gain iteratives" rule? That's there for a reason - monsters deal as much or more damage with natural attacks than PCs do with weapons. Not to mention the fact that many monsters have 2-4 natural attacks. Imagine making 3-4 iteratives for each of a red dragon's natural attacks - it would take 10 minutes just to roll them all, and the combat would be over in 2 rounds as the dragon tore everyone apart.
I agree, a dragon doubling its attacks would be devastating. Perhaps some monster attacks that were designated as secondary attacks can gain a new tag called tertiary. A tertiary attack for the dragon would be tail and wings. claw claw would be secondary and bite would be primary. Then the feats would double primary + secondary but not tertiary. Just an idea. It seems like an idea that works yet to go in and change every SRD monster to that nomenclature would be a lot of work. Perhaps another idea? Go back to only primary attacks gaining the bonus attacks? Problem there is that then two handed fighting outclasses two weapon fighting.

Sadrik

First Post
Looking again at the flurry feats I came up with

Sadrik said:
Flurry [General]
Prerequisite
+6 BAB
Benefit
The creature's primary and secondary attacks attack twice. All attacks are at -4 to attack.
Normal
Without this feat, each primary and secondary attack can only make one attack.

Improved Flurry [General]
Prerequisite
+11 BAB, Flurry
Benefit
The creature's primary and secondary attacks attack three times. All attacks are at -4 to attack.
Normal
Without this feat, each primary and secondary attack can only make one attack.

Greater Flurry [General]
Prerequisite
+16 BAB, Improved Flurry
Benefit
When a creature uses Flurry the attacks are at -2 to attack.
Normal
Without this feat, each primary and secondary attack has a -4 to attack when making a Flurry attack.

Again, my design parameter is to make monsters and PCs want to take the feats without them being too powerful.

If I change them to primary attacks only how does that play out with balancing a two weapon fighter against the great weapon fighter. Btw, I am really leaning in that direction right now.

Is -4 to attack to double your primary attacks a good payoff? I think it is. And it wont make the dragon out of this world broken by getting two dragon bites at -4. :)

The dragon could also do Powerattack with his bite to do a similar thing anyway, right?

Kerrick

First Post
I am fully aware of the definition of what "1 round" means. It is sort of like- full round action plus. If the goal is to remove full round actions. You could use the '1 round' tag used for skills and spells to mean, "Cannot take a move action when performing this action." That is it.
You could... but wouldn't it be simpler to say "1 round = 1 full-round action"?

Snippy, :).
No, sorry. I've seen a lot of folks who come across as "I think this is the best way, and if you don't do it this way, you're wrong." I try to do my best to avoid that - I just point out things that I think are flaws, and if someone chooses to do it another way, that's their prerogative. :)

Other than the few you list below what are the ones that you like and dislike? Are they wrong and you have a better idea of how to implement them or you simply don't like the concept?
Mostly I'm opposed to tossing out perfectly good rules without a really good reason. Let's see...

Charge- run + attack: That's pretty much what it is anyway. You can move up to 2x speed and make 1 attack.

Coup de Grace- standard action: Already mentioned this.

Escape from a net- standard action (entangled condition restricts move anyway):

Extinguish a flame- standard action: Could go either way (standard or full).

Full attack- standard action:

Light a torch- standard action: Not unless you've got a Bic lighter. If you're using flint/tinder, it could easily take a full round to light one. If you're lighting it off another flame, then yeah - standard or even free action.

Load a crossbow- standard action (light and hand move action): You ever tried loading a heavy crossbow? You have to put it down, stick your foot in the stirrup, crank it, lay the bolt in, then raise it again. That's a full-round action.

Lock or unlock a weapon gauntlet- standard action: *shrug*

Move 5' through difficult terrain- ignore this rule: I'll cover this below.

Prepare to throw a splash weapon- standard action: This one I'll agree with - it shouldn't take that long to pull out a splash weapon.

Run- move action but x2 speed (run + run = x4 speed): The problem I have with this is the nomenclature. x2 speed is a hustle; x3/x4 is a run. You can already make a double move (x2 speed) as a full-round action; if you change that to mean "run" (but only in combat) you'll confuse people:

Player: I want to run.

DM: How far?

Player: Just 60 feet (he has a 30 speed)

DM: That's a double move.

Player: No, it's a run now.

DM: *boggles* Then what's a run?

That's why I changed run x4 to "dash" and run x5 to "sprint" - to eliminate confusion.

Use a skill that takes 1 round- most require you to stay and not move to complete the skill anyway: Well, yeah.. that's why they're full-round actions.

Use a touch spell on up to 6 friends- limit this by speed rather than an arbitrary number: Assuming they're all within a, say, 10-foot radius, how do you determine this? 6 is based on the number of seconds in a round - 1 person per second.

Withdraw- 5' step + run: I think I mentioned this before... if you can make a double move as a standard action, why keep the 5-foot step?

Okay, I don't think you get how running is working here. Rather than making a full action to run at x4 pace it is instead a move action to run at x2 pace.
Right, I get that. See my explanation above.

I would also include that you get +2 to attack and +2 to bulls rush attempts (as charge). Under run it says you lose your dex bonus and under charge it says you get -2 AC. For simplicity, I would say -2 AC and that way guys with 11 or less dex actually lose something when they run and guys with 16+ dex don't get raked over the coals when they run.
Now that, I like. I changed flat-footed to be a flat -4 penalty. 90+% of monsters have a worse flat-footed AC now than before, AND high-Dex PCs aren't penalized as badly.

So to expand on this if you are in heavy armor you only move x1.5 for each move action and if you have the run feat you move x2.5 for ever move action. Additionally, if you down grade your standard action to a move action you will be able to take two run actions. Example: 30 speed, character wants to run for both of his actions, he will move 60 and 60 again (120). Which is the same as having took the full round action.

5' step is a move action because now that a full attack is a standard action it is available to be done that way.
Right... but like I said - if you can move and full attack, why keep the 5-foot step? It's superfluous.

5' steps have a lot of exceptions and rulesy text to get them to work right. By moving them to a move action you remove that complexity and open up several options that did not exist before.
The exceptions are because 5-foot steps don't provoke AoOs - they want to prevent players from moving right up to 10 feet away, then taking a step into a threatened area and not provoking the AoO.

The part about not being to do it in darkness or difficult terrain is the same thing - since movement is already hampered in both situations, it makes sense that a 5-foot step would be outright prohibited (though I .

The point was that you felt monsters should not get iterative attacks.
Right.

Agreed, and I think that high BAB monsters would too. I am looking for a way that monsters and PCs can both grab the feat and be able to gain the same benefit.
Two things: Why should monsters get more benefits? Like I said, they already do an equivalent amount of damage, with their natural attacks they way they are.

Second, if you want to give fighter-types the ability to make a full move and a full attack, why not just make a high-level feat that requires, say, +12 or +15 BAB? That would pretty well exclude everyone else.

-4 to all attacks and make two attacks with all of your attacks is what I have right now. Anything better using those design parameters?
This is for monsters? Don't forget that secondary attacks are at -5; if you keep that, they'd be -4/-9, and get two attacks with each natural weapon. Not a very good tradeoff, IMO.

I agree, a dragon doubling its attacks would be devastating. Perhaps some monster attacks that were designated as secondary attacks can gain a new tag called tertiary. A tertiary attack for the dragon would be tail and wings. claw claw would be secondary and bite would be primary. Then the feats would double primary + secondary but not tertiary. Just an idea. It seems like an idea that works yet to go in and change every SRD monster to that nomenclature would be a lot of work. Perhaps another idea? Go back to only primary attacks gaining the bonus attacks? Problem there is that then two handed fighting outclasses two weapon fighting.
It does in feat cost, yeah - that's why someone finally convinced me to change TWF so that the second, third, and fourth offhand attacks are automatically gained with higher BAB - second at +6, third at +11, and fourth at +16. The penalties still apply, of course, but you don't have to sink four feats into it to gain the same damage output as a two-hander.

Remove ads