Fullmetal Alchemist - Lure of the Flames (Recruiting)

Nali

First Post
Fullmetal Alchemist - Lure of the flames

The Story

Amestris has changed in the ten years since the Upheaval in Central. By the instruction of the late Führer Grumman and continued under the new Führer Mustang, Amestris has lessened many of the tensions caused by decades of imperialist policies. A new spirit of co-operation has bloomed across the very world itself, of peace accords and trade agreements, the coming together and unity of many nations through discussion and debate instead of blade and gunfire.

This new paradigm was culminated in the Grand Eastern Rail-Line, a track hundreds of miles long that connected Central City with neighboring Xing, and continued even further to Amestris' newest province, a small coastal region known as The Edge. The Grand Eastern Rail and the coastal access it provided proved a great boon, allowing access to new nations and new resources, while solidifying trading ties with Amestris' most amiable neighbor.

But all is not well. Expected trains have stopped returning, while the long land lines connecting Amestris with its far flung province seem to have been cut. Missions searching within Amestris show no problem, yet the groups sent into the desert along the line suffer the same fate as trains sent along the tracks. The saber rattling over Xing has begun to reach a fevered pitch, With calls for a full brigade to march into the neighboring areas and 'fix' the problem.

It is in this climate that Central has sent out a call to some of its finest. State Alchemists, Soldiers, Mercenaries and Private Citizens, the Führer has begged the assistance of anyone he feels he can trust, hoping enough will answer to avert a war.

The Setting

In the hopes of making this accessible to anyone who has not read the manga or watched the show, I've got a bit of a blurb explaining the setting, as well as a link to the show's wiki:

“Full Metal Alchemist is set in a fictional universe not entirely dissimilar to the early industrial world of the 1920-40's (In fact this campaign is set in the 1930's of the series own timeline.). The technology level is pretty much akin to that of world war 2, at least in the developed areas. Cars are just coming into common use for those with enough money, the tank is a very recent invention, Automatic weapons are not standard issue.

Notable differences include the complete lack of flight and basic computers. They understand what nuclear technology is, but have no access to it. On the other hand, high tech prosthesis called automail are easily available, stronger and much more resistant than normal human limbs.

In addition to their technology, the people of this world have mastered a form of 'Science' referred to as Alchemy, the study of transmutation. At its simplest, this allows the rearrangement of matter, fixing a broken clock, building a sculpture. Such transmutations require the drawing of a special transmutation circle, and an application of will.

Talented alchemists can, and often do develop worn versions of their transmutation circles that they can wear and focus their powers through. The current leader for example, can create massive explosions by transmuting air into a corridor of pure oxygen and then setting a spark from his gloves.”

Fullmetal Alchemist (franchise) - Fullmetal Alchemist Wiki

Game Info

And the part you're all waiting for.

I've decided, after a long absence of trying to run this campaign in person, that I'd do it as a play by post instead. Bad news for some of my tabletop buddies, but good news (I hope) for us folks online.

The story is going to be using Mutants and Masterminds 2nd Edition, I know third edition is out, but I don't have any experience with it, and I'd hate to fumble through a session because of lack of rules understanding. Character Creation rules will be forthcoming, probably tonight, but I figure the sooner people can ponder their characters, the sooner we can start, so here are a few ground rules and tidbits on how I expect to play:

- No existing characters or familial relations. Partly because I want people to be original, partly because I plan to use some of the setting characters. Expect about a 25/75 split on the usage of existing faces to new NPC's.

- Open backgrounds. Other than the above rule, I'm open to pretty much any background that makes sense within the setting. You want to be royalty from Xing, I'll make it work. Want to be a fancy state alchemist, fine by me.

- Party friendly. This applies both in the sense that I want everyone to be mostly “Good” people, and more abstractly that I want people to be able to fit in from the get go. If we end up with six state alchemists then its easy for me, but all I really ask in your character creation is that he or she is someone who can work with the party, and who would be sent with the party in the first place.

- Powers. Powers in this game are pretty wide open and are going to represent anything from Alchemy to special ammunition to sword fighting prowess. I'm going to have a standard template power for anyone trained in Alchemy, anything beyond that (Finger-snapping explosions, ice creating powers, rock shooting punches etc.) will be approved case by case.

Flight is out, I'm undecided on fast movement (Though elevator style upward pillars of ground are a staple of the series), mental powers like mind control, and body altering stuff like x-ray vision are likewise out. It should be cut and dry what makes sense and what doesn't, but if you're on the fence I'll yay or nay it, politely of course.

- Skills are important. I'm adding in about a half dozen (At least) special knowledge skills, appropriate to the setting. In addition, the game will be much more story driven than your usual dungeon crawl fare. Skills will play an important role both in and out of combat, in fact, I plan to use the “Alternative Combat Types” from Manga and Mecha at least a few times. I believe it would be entirely possible to play a mostly non-combat character in this campaign and still have fun (Though you would miss out on the cool fights!)

- Cool fights! Lastly, one of the things that made me want to run this campaign online was how much the combat was enjoyed at the tabletop. A big part of this had to do with the settings, motion and occasional fudged dice roll. Expect every fight to be cinematic in some form or another, and expect to have to move a lot. Simply put, I don't recommend too many full round action powers (Though I will allow them.)

While I'm undecided whether I will post up my dice rolls, I will always give a hero point if I screw you out of something =)

I also have one specific request regarding players more than the characters:

- Be open to twists and changes. There is a rather substantial twist in the plot line partway into this game, and I'd hate to lose players under the idea of “Oh that's dumb and non-canon” I doubt anyone here is like that, but I just don't want to hurt the game with it. =)

That about covers everything I have to consider. I'm holding the next post for character creation rules, which will be posted either tonight, or more likely tomorrow night after I finish work.

Lastly, I'm am not especially prolific in writing as I have a rather hectic schedule. Updates will be about 3-4 times a week. Sometimes I will post multiple times if a combat or section makes it easy to focus, but RL is RL =/

*More to come*

Nali

First Post
Alright, as promised the character creation rules.

Character Creation uses the following template for the amount of points and how they must be spent:

Power Level 11

Abilities 25pp
Combat/Saves 35pp
Skills/Feats 20pp
Powers 55pp
Freebies: 35pp
Unknown: 10pp

Total: 180pp

While this particular sort of template may feel a little restrictive for people, I find it is usually quite helpful in M&M to set some boundaries, especially in a campaign such as this where I'm hoping for relatively well rounded characters.

As you can see, the pp total would normally have you at power level twelve instead of eleven. This is another intentional choice as the max power level of the campaign is probably going to settle around 15. It gives room to grow, while the extra few power points make you stronger than a starter 11th level. I'm sure most of it is self explanatory, points in a particular category can be spent only within that category, freebies go wherever you'd like.

The unknown points are a fun little thing I picked up playing BESM. Simply speaking points put into Unknown come back at a return rate of 1.5x, but rather than being distributed directly by the player, they are assigned by me during special events, as a quirk of the story (You keep making reflex saves you might get evasion), or in conjunction with the player during time-skips and training sections (I practice at learning a new technique, and gain X).

I've started every player with ten (fifteen really) points of Unknown power to give me some flexibility in rewarding you for good ideas, amusing antics and so forth. That said, I also have quite a few ideas for storyline boosts, training advantages and the like, so I'm opening up the option for people to “Spend” some of their points into the unknown category. During character creation (And only character creation) you can choose to assign any amount of your Power or Freebie points to the Unknown power.

And before it gets brought up, yes this does mean that a character who dumps all of his 90 points into Unknown will get a return of 135 at the end of the day. That said he is going to gain them slowly over the course of the story, will have less of a say in how they are distributed and will still be limited to the same power cap as the rest of you. =)

With that out of the way, I suppose its down to campaign specific stuff now.

[sblock=Sources]Sources

Mutants and Masterminds
Ultimate Powers
Manga and Mecha (Not the mecha, obviously.)

Other books may be available on request. I've got no objection to specific sources, but I'm going to want to read things before I approve.[/sblock]

[sblock=Skills]Skills

In addition to the standard skills, the following are available:

Knowledge: Alchemy – The study of Alchemy as it is practiced in Amestris. Allows the user to discern the effect of a particular transmutation circle (Functioning much like spellcraft). Indicates an understanding of alchemical theory and history. A minimum of Five ranks in this skill is required to play an Alchemist.

Knowledge: Eastern Alchemy – The study of Alchemy as it is practiced in Xing. Functions as Knowledge: Alchemy, with its focus on Eastern Alchemy instead.

Knowledge: Military – Knowledge of the ranks and structure of the Amestris military. A character with this skill is familiar with the inner workings of the Amestris military, procedures, documents, ranks, as well as the names of specific commanders. Functions much like a replacement for Knowledge: Nobility.

Knowledge: Black History – This skill represents a certain amount of knowledge surrounding the Uprising in Central. Much of it is snipits of rumors, friend of a friend as the true story of the incident was largely buried under the weight of the 'Official' Story. This skill can only be taken at character creation, and cannot be increased during play without access to a credible source of information regarding the subject.[/sblock]

[sblock=Alchemy]Alchemy

Any character wishing to play an alchemist is required to take at least one rank in the Alchemy power, as well as five points of the Knowledge: Alchemy skill. Anyone capable of using some of the more complicated powers (Mustangs fireballs, Kimblee's explosions etc.) would require at least a passing knowledge of basic alchemy, even if he were just using those abilities by rote.

The standard alchemy power below represents catch-all alchemy knowledge, and assumes that the alchemist is hastily drawing, carving or digging an appropriate transmutation circle. With it you can transform any existing matter into any other shape or substances provided that the end result has the same amounts of matter in it as it began with, a rule called equivalent exchange.

You are of course limited in the amount you can transmute as per standard rules, more experienced alchemists have more raw power to work with.

Characters using eastern Alchemy still use this ability for their basic transmutations (With required Knowledge: Eastern Alchemy instead) but their powers are different enough that a separate ability might be warranted.

Alchemy (3 points per rank, Permanent. Cannot be used on an opponent who is not helpless, Can only rearrange components of existing matter, must have a reasonably flat surface and some way to mark it. Distracting. Increased time to full round action .) [/sblock]I feel terribly like I'm missing something here, but nothing is coming to mind at the moment. If you have any questions regarding character creation, feel free to ask.

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Hee...not to expose myself as someone excessively familiar with the series, but continuity-wise...are you following the first anime series (substantially different from the original comics) or the reboot titled Brotherhood (much closer to the original material)?

I like them both. The question is merely to satisfy curiosity.

Anyway, I'm interested. I'll wait to see the rules before I solidify concepts.

jkason

First Post
I've not read the manga nor seen any of the anime, but the setting seems like fun. Posting now to subscribe, and will look forward to chargen rules. :)

Nali

First Post
Oops!

I knew I was forgetting something in that primary post. I will be following the manga/brotherhood storyline in terms of events.

And just to update, the rules should be up in about twelve hours. Isn't a lot to them, but I don't have long before work. *Le sigh*

Nali

First Post
Alright, creation rules are up. They'd have been up before I went to bed last night, but enworld was being particularly fussy. =/

Jemal

Adventurer
Well, here's the first draft of my state alchemist
I wanted to ask you about two things: Luck and Military Rank. IE, how much of each can we take? (I currently have two points each in Luck and Benefit: Rank). I'm aiming for the highest rank available at start.

William, the Flowing Earth Alchemist - PL 11

Abilities:
STR 12 (+1)/20(+5)
DEX 18 (+4)
CON 16 (+3)
INT 14 (+2)
WIS 14 (+2)
CHA 14 (+2)

Movement: 100ft, Jump 185 ft

Combat :
Offense:
Base Attack +6 (Melee+10/Ranged+6)
Attacks:
Officers Sword: +12, Toughness DC 25, Crit 19-20
Earth Spike: +12, Toughness DC 25
Earth Blast: Reflex DC 21, Toughness DC 26, Shapeable Area(22 5' cubes)

Defenses:
Defense 20 (+4 Base +6 dodge)
Toughness +12 (5 Equipment +3 con +4 Protection)
Fort +9 (6 base + 3 con), Reflex +10 (6 base + 4 dex), Will +8 (6 base + 2 wis)

Skills: (60 ranks) *=Skill Mastery
Knowledges: Alchemy(+12/10)*; Earth Sciences(+6/4); Military(+6/4);
Bluff(+8/6), Diplomacy(+8/6), Notice(+13/11)*, Acrobatics(+12/8)*, Sense Motive(+13/11)*

Feats(21): Mellee Focus 4, Dodge Focus 6, Luck 2, Accurate Attack, All-out attack, Power Attack, Defensive Attack, Assessment, Benefit: Military Rank 2, Equipment, Skill Mastery(Acrobatics, Sense Motive, Notice, Knowledge:Alchemy)

Powers:
Alchemy Rank 5 (12 pts) - Transform, Only Inanimate Objects(5 base), PF: ProgressionX2, Must draw circle [Touch(-1), Distracting(-1), Action(-1)] *100 pounds*
Earth Alchemy 3 (3 pts) - Enhanced Alchemy Limited to Earth(-1), *1000 pounds*

Earth Spike(24 pts): Blast Rank 10 - Penetrating(+1), PF: AccurateX3, Limited[Earth(-1)]
AP Earth Blast: Blast 11, Area: Shapeable(+1), PF: ProgressionX1, Limited[Earth(-1)]

Strength of Earth (4 pts): Enhanced Strength Rank 4, Limited[Earth(-1)]
Earth Shield (2 pts): Protection Rank 4, Limited[Earth(-1)]

Immunity: Falling onto Earth (2 pts)

Officers Sword (6 pts - Device Rank 2)
-Strike Rank 5, PF: Mighty, Accurate, Improved Block, Improved Disarm, Improved Crit

Earthshaper boots (3 pts - Device rank 1, Limited: Earth)
-Speed 1 (1pt), Leaping 2 (2 pts), Immovable 2 (2 pts)

Unknown Powers: 20 pts

Equipment:
Officers Breast Plate(5 ep)

Drawbacks:
Tradeoffs: -1 def/+1 tough, +1 atk/-1 dmg
Spent:
28 Abilities + 20 Combat + 18 Saves + 15 Skills + 21 Feats + 56 Powers +20 Unknown = 178
Had:
25 abilities + 35 combat/saves + 20 skills/feats + 55 powers + 35 freebies + 10 Unknown = 180

Many of Williams powers are Limited to earth-based effects.
Earth Alchemy: fairly self-explanatory - William is better at Transmuting Earth/stone than he is at everything else
Earth Spike/Blast: The attack juts out from the earth, so is limited to only being able to strike those near Earth/Stone: Up a tree, or on top of a building, or inside a train would make it unusable. Earth Spike is a single Stalagmite striking, Earth Blast is a rolling wave of earth.
Earthsaper Boots: They have a permanent, very well-drawn Alchemy circle on them which helps William in several ways, allowing him to 'push' off the ground much faster/harder than normal by making it push back (Increasing his speed and jumping abilities and making him harder to move when he doesn't want to be.
Strenght of Earth/Earth Shield: While in contact with the earth, William uses it to strengthen his physical form

Last edited:

Remove ads