fun idea i had: wool constructs

balmz

Villager
I was watching some gameplay of yoshi's wooly world and loved the different designs which gave me an idea.
wool constructs
They have the same traits as regular constructs but have a few new features

1. Immune to cold damage and effects, the warm wool protects them
  2. immunity to electric damage, if attacked with electric attacks the construct absorbs a quarter of the damage that would have been done, the electricity is stored in the construct, next time it is touched in melee the target takes the stored electrical damage
  3. wool constructs are immune to bludgeoning damage, take half damage from piercing but take double damage from slashing
  4. have fire resistance 2
  5. Immune to water based attacks but the construct is then soaked which has a slow effect on it and causes it to take a -5 penalty to attack rolls. While soaked it is immune to fire damage but fire attacks on it will dry it out. Once it has taken 3/4 of its hp in fire attacks the construct is no longer soaked and loses fire immunity
  6. vermin generally flee from constructs but if the vermin is a type that would eat wool the vermin can freely attack the wool construct, the constructs take 4+ damage when attacked by vermin and can be subject to critical hits by vermin attacks only
  7. not subject to falling damage, too soft and puffy to be affected

so like the idea, any feedback?

Tallifer

Hero
I had a similar idea, but I really like how you have thought it out more thoroughly. My idea was a Patchwork Construct, or as I like to call it Clothforged (for Eberron).

Patchwork Knight.jpg

MoutonRustique

Explorer
You forgot a crucial part!

[...]
  • [...]
  • Immune to water based attacks but the construct is then soaked which has a slow effect on it and causes it to take a -5 penalty to attack rolls. While soaked it is immune to fire damage but fire attacks on it will dry it out. Once it has taken 3/4 of its hp in fire attacks the construct is no longer soaked and loses fire immunity and is reduced one size category; two if it wasn't a merino construct.
  • [...]

Now it makes perfect sense. :D

Last edited:

TBeholder

Explorer
Cloth based constructs already were in AD&D2 sources - Doll Golem and at least 4 sorts of raggamoffyns. The Threat from the Sea even features a wizard with raggamoffyn familiar.
So why not.
As to the applications... If a spellcaster can work with wool, why limit yourself to the dolls? Could even include entities less than fully mobile on their own, if they would have some useful abilities.
How about wearable raggamoffyn-like symbionts? E.g. a jacket or scarf that could bestow protection from cold, use possession to dig out if the owner is unconscious under snow, etc.
Or a semi-sentient yurt that can watch out for its owners - warn about dangers, make sure fireplace burns just right, etc. Nomadic life isn't conducive to amassing more stuff, so giving more utility to existing equipment is a good idea. :hmm:

I like the idea, but I think I'd actually make them a little vulnerable to fire. I really like the static electricity effect :D

I'm thinking of these in 4e terms. I'd think a wet construct would be slowed and weakened (and maybe a penalty to hit to attacks) (save ends). Of course, you'd face multiple at a time, so it's okay if one or two get soak-nerfed.

But why would they be hostile? Or could these be allies you could summon? Maybe it can't do much damage, but would be great for nonlethal "grappling" combat. It can't really kill the opponent, and the opponent will have a very hard time injuring one of these fellows while being grappled.

TBeholder

Explorer
Also, making these just begs for fetch quests to procure the exotic materials - which includes non-killing ones, whether because of complications or because you don't want is to go through all motions to find another source the next time. Such as wool from giant ram, or giant goat, etc.
Or from Blink Wooly Mammoth if the case is extreme enough to roll out April Issue stuff. ;)

But why would they be hostile? Or could these be allies you could summon?
Constructs usually are made for a specific purpose and have a master. Free-willing ones being a larger can of worms.
Maybe it can't do much damage, but would be great for nonlethal "grappling" combat. It can't really kill the opponent, and the opponent will have a very hard time injuring one of these fellows while being grappled.
Raggamoffyns, aside of the possession, can suffocate the host, so there's that. But generallly, yes - they already can be nuisance by hindering movement (which includes problems with spellcasting) and being hard to get rid of without injury to the grappled character.

Remove ads