• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fun with Multiclassing

I see a lot of the Wheel of Time characters using retraining rules in 4e. I think that Matt and Rand probably both start as rangers. Very soon Rand and Matt retrain as a rogues. Within a few books Matt has picked up Student of Battle and Rand has picked up Pact Initiate with the Dead Hero pact (Lews Therin). As time went on both retrained again, Matt to Warlord with Sneak of Shadows, and Rand to Warlock with Student of the Sword. Further retrainings would allow both to modify the mixture of their classes to suit what was going on in the stories. That is the wonderful thing about WoT, you get to see so much growth and change in the characters, and this easily justifies the retraining.

Now both of these characters would have a highly modified Action Surge feat to represent being Taveren, and since WoT neglects race almost entirely, maybe there are some options of templates or subraces of humans to pick from. These could be like Old Blood, Aile, Cairienin, or whatever.

Perrin is obviously a Paladin of Loyalty (Wheel of Time paladin powers are really subtle ;) ) that has taken the Student of Battle feat, and he obviously has the modified Action Surge for Taveren and probably has the Old Blood race with the Brother to Wolves racial feats.

Seule

Explorer
Mort said:
Guess you're working with what we have since Barbarian won't be out until the next book.

Barbarian isn't a class, it's a culture and a fighting style. The fighting style is covered by fighter, the skills are covered by ranger.
I'd like to see barbarian covered as a third build for ranger, focussing on two-handed weapons.
Really, that's all a barbarian is, in combat style: a striker with two-handed weapon, and some wilderness skills. The Rage thing is a class feature that doesn't actually factor into what you do, because it doesn't change your tactics much at all, it just makes you better at what you are doing anyway.

The 3.0 and 3.5 barbarian is simply a 1 or 2 level dip for thumpy fighters. It's only popular because it's broken.

--Penn

Maxwell's Demon

First Post
Sorry but I can't really see Elric as a fighter with a few wizard abilities. He's arguably the best wizard (or sorcerer if you prefer) in the whole world. If he isn't a wizard then neither is anyone else in his world.

Seule

Explorer
Define 'Wizard' in Elric's world? It doesn't seem to include much on-the-fly spellcasting at all.
Sure he can be the greatest at rituals there has ever been, but presumably that can be accomplished with skills and feats. He doesn't do combat magic, therefore he isn't a wizard. He might not even have any wizard features other than rituals.

Edit: Yes, this means that there might not be anyone classed as a wizard or sorcerer.

--Penn

Atlatl Jones

Explorer
UngeheuerLich said:
its gandalf: Fighter, Arcane initiate...
Heh. Considering that Gandalf's primary role seems to be inspiring others to action, and leading others in melee combat, I'd say he's a Warlord with Arcane Initiate.

His custom designed epic destiny is, of course, Gandalf the White.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Seule said:
Barbarian isn't a class, it's a culture and a fighting style. The fighting style is covered by fighter, the skills are covered by ranger. I'd like to see barbarian covered as a third build for ranger, focussing on two-handed weapons.
Really, that's all a barbarian is, in combat style: a striker with two-handed weapon, and some wilderness skills. The Rage thing is a class feature that doesn't actually factor into what you do, because it doesn't change your tactics much at all, it just makes you better at what you are doing anyway.

The 3.0 and 3.5 barbarian is simply a 1 or 2 level dip for thumpy fighters. It's only popular because it's broken.

--Penn

Barbarian certainly doesn't have to be a class - but it can be - with a very different feel than the fighter or ranger. This seems to be what 4e will be going for - especially with the introduction (rumored) of a primal power source. I haven't read the development article - but if this is the way they are going I don't see how it's not like Howard's writing. In the stories Conan is very in touch with nature and at core kind of a controlled wild beast.

That's my hope anyway. Barbarian in 3e/3.5 seemed to just be there to be there (kind of like the paladin really). Hopefully 4e will make it a distinct, viable, balanced class yet capture the essence of a warrior that's in touch with nature (not just one who uses or understands nature like the ranger but one that nature is almost a part of). Note that does not mean berserker in any - hope they dump that part or at least make it only an option.

Jhaelen

First Post
Maxwell's Demon said:
Sorry but I can't really see Elric as a fighter with a few wizard abilities. He's arguably the best wizard (or sorcerer if you prefer) in the whole world. If he isn't a wizard then neither is anyone else in his world.
Exactly! It's been a long time since I read the novels but I cannot remember him ever casting a spell directly. I only remember him summoning entities to do his bidding. So I'd call him a summoner, binder or maybe a theurgist. From what I've seen about them, none of the PHB1 classes seems to be a good fit.

Atlatl Jones said:
Heh. Considering that Gandalf's primary role seems to be inspiring others to action, and leading others in melee combat, I'd say he's a Warlord with Arcane Initiate.

His custom designed epic destiny is, of course, Gandalf the White.
agreed ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads