• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Funny] Alternating gender pronouns

Cintra

First Post
As a female gamer, I appreciate the fact that WotC has tried hard to be more inclusive of females by alternating male and female pronouns.

But now they've gone too far.

When you get a chance, take a look at the "Brightstone Keep" sidebars in Chapter 1 of the new Stronghold Builder's Guidebook. In the first such sidebar on p.7, they refer to "Karlerren, a 12th level wizard" who wants to build a "base for her fellow adventurers." Next page, "Karlerren wants Brightstone Keep to be fairly large, but his funds are somewhat limited." Next sidebar (same page), Karlerren is still a guy; he wants "a bedroom for himself" as one of the rooms in the keep.

On page 9, Karlerren knows that "She need to craft the interior walls of hewn stone."

On page 10, Karlerren buys Ballistas, and "He decides to put them" on towers. Later in the SAME sidebar (halfway down the page), we learn that Karlerren makes some decisions due to "Remembering her discount for hewn stone." Karlerren manages to stay female for about two paragraphs, but as this sidebar continues on page 11, we learn that "His bedroom suite gets a Guardian Statue" and that he's "worried about security in his magic laboratory."

You know, I think the entire thing could have been fixed if they'd been willing to use rules from some of the non-Core books. What do you want to bet that Karlerren is really a Shifter from Masters of the Wild, and all this changing is just his (her? its?) lifestyle choice...

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
They do get themsleves in trouble and it does get a little confusing. Maybe each blurb was written by a different person and they couldn't tell the gender based on the name?

Voobaha

First Post
maybe he/she is evil

Sheesh! Why don't they just stick to their formula of describing good/neutral characters as female, and evil humanoid and villains using the 'he' pronoun.

I love Jonathan Tweet, and I think it's important to emphasize gender equality in the game, but sometimes his writing can be artificially PC (P.C. to the point of being slightly B.S.).

So c'mon, lets have some more evil chortling villains be female in the books! True gender equality means that there are just as many female scum sucking evil creepy crawlies as there are guys.

On second thought, don't. Otherwise I wouldn't have an excuse to pretentiously rant...

I dunno, I've had some players change sex multiples times during a game session. Thought it was during the Tomb of Horrors... :D

*EDIT* EEK! I had several CHARACTERS change sex, NOT players!

Last edited:

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Shhh... We'll have Edena coming into the thread soon explaining the normalcy of Gender Switching in mid paragraph! :D

Truthfully, the writing may not be to blame, just the editing. Ultimately it may have been written properly then switched, in places, by the editor. It may even be that the writer messed it up in places but, again ultimately, it is up to the editors to fix those problems before going to press.

We're not looking at another Sword and Fist editing job here, are we?

*shudders*

Painfully

First Post
Another WotC editing failure

This is what happens when they don't hire a proofreader of at least 5th grade level reading ability.

Shame on WotC for probably firing their experienced highly paid editor and replacing him or her with some high school flunky that works on the cheap.

Shame, shame, shame.

trimeulose

First Post
MAAAAAAYBE Karlerren is the mideval/fantasy equivalent of the name Pat and everyone (includind the creators) is confused about the gender.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
i think what happened is that Karlerren got hold of a belt of masculinity/femininity, which oddly got left out of the 3E DMG. what really happened is that the changed the belt so that instead of changing the wearer's sex once, it does it over and over again just to make things really confusing, and then WotC gave the belt to the poor unsuspecting Karlerren. :)

nick

First Post
I still find it hard to believe the description in the PHB of a female barbarian character. A raging woman, lacking manners, and wearing raggedy clothing is hard to imagine. For some reason, I find this character easier to visualize as being male. Not that there's anything wrong with a female barbarian character.

Remove ads