• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Furious Smash - Damage Question

ricardo440

First Post
furious smash has the Weapon keyword, but you don't roll damage for it.
It just does STR modifier damage.

Hit: Deal damage equal to your Strength modifier, and then
choose one ally adjacent to either you or the target. This
ally applies your Charisma modifier as a power bonus to
the attack roll and the damage roll on his or her next attack
against the target. If the ally does not attack the target
by the end of his or her next turn, the bonus is lost.

Now do you add in
Enhancement bonus from weapon
Weapon Focus
et al.

I initialy thought no because it doesn't have a roll i.e. a [W]

Just wondering what other people think.

I say no because the damage does not include any [W] expression.

But you should get:
- your weapon's enhancement bonus to hit
- be able to make use of its reach (if it is a reach weapon)

tombowings

First Post
The "weapon" keyword indicates that you do, indeed, add all of those additional damage modifiers, such as weapon focus and weapon enhancements.

The "weapon" keyword indicates that you do, indeed, add all of those additional damage modifiers, such as weapon focus and weapon enhancements.

In both cases you add those boni to your weapon damage rolls (given as an expression including a [W]). But Furious Smash deals STR modifier damage >> no [W] >> no weapon damage roll >> no weapon focus or weapon enhancement bonus to damage.

Stalker0

Legend
In both cases you add those boni to your weapon damage rolls (given as an expression including a [W]). But Furious Smash deals STR modifier damage >> no [W] >> no weapon damage roll >> no weapon focus or weapon enhancement bonus to damage.

Yep. If an effect or power says, "gain +2 to damage" that would apply to furious smash. But most things say "+2 to damage rolls" which excludes furious smash.

ricardo440

First Post
Reason I ask really is I think I agree with that. no [w] no bonus to "damage rolls".
But that means that it will get left a long way behind Righteous Brand will it not?

Staffan

Legend
Reason I ask really is I think I agree with that. no [w] no bonus to "damage rolls".
But that means that it will get left a long way behind Righteous Brand will it not?
Furious Smash has a big advantage over Righetous Brand: it attacks Fortitude instead of AC, but still has the Weapon keyword. That means you're going to be hitting with it a lot more.

Mentat55

First Post
Well, Righteous Brand is vs. AC, and grants only an attack bonus, right? Furious Smash targets Fortitude, so it probably hits more often (I know that Fort is probably the highest non-AC defense for most melee monsters, and is often even higher than AC for brutes, but over all monsters, it is still inferior to AC), and it grants a bonus to attack and damage.

Tony Vargas

Legend
rant & related question

[RANT]Righteous Brand adds your primary attack stat as a bonus to an ally's attack, and it lasts through the end of your next turn, even though it's an at will. Furious Smash will never catch up to Righteous Brand, becasuse Righteous Brand is broken. The damage those at-wills do, themselves, is secondary. Righteous Brand could do no damage, and it'd still be broken.[/RANT]

JMHO.

A related question: When you crit with a no-damage-roll power (or as a minion, for that matter), obviously, 'maximum damage' is meaningless, but, if you're using a high-crit or magical weapon or have devestating critical, do you get the extra di(c)e for the crit?

rkanodia

First Post
A related question: When you crit with a no-damage-roll power (or as a minion, for that matter), obviously, 'maximum damage' is meaningless, but, if you're using a high-crit or magical weapon or have devestating critical, do you get the extra di(c)e for the crit?

Don't quote me, but I seem to recall looking this up in the PHB. I couldn't find any language restricting bonus critical dice to 'damage rolls', so I would say yes. Let's face it, critting on Furious Smash (which I did twice in one battle, which is what lead me to look it up in the first place) sucks bad enough without losing your bonus dice.

Remove ads