• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fury over Black Hermione Granger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, given the two relevant concepts for interpreting that: (1) colloquial speech; (2) there is no perfection.

Assuming you don't dispute either of those two things, you can't use the actresses's 'perfection' as a premise of an argument. Well, you can, but if your initial premise is flawed.

I'm kinda struggling to understand even the motive for doing so. Why is it important to make so much effort to prove a fictional character is white, even against the stated opinion of her creator? To what end is this effort?

I don't get it. If the author says her intention was to not define a character's race, why is it so important to prove that the character is white?
L

This is what I don't get. I understand when the original story has specific features listed and people have a hard time reconciling an actor who doesn't fit that description (when Daniel Craig was announced as James Bond for instance, it didn't bother me that he had lighter hair than prior bonds, but I got why it mattered to people). But in this case the author has pointed out the text says nothing of Hermione's skin color, has expressed her approval of Hermione being played by a black actress, and I just don't see how one can make it a canon issue if that is the case.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Well, given the two relevant concepts for interpreting that: (1) colloquial speech; (2) there is no perfection.

Assuming you don't dispute either of those two things, you can't use the actresses's 'perfection' as a premise of an argument. Well, you can, but if your initial premise is flawed.

When she wrote the story, she had in mind who the characters were, even their races. When she cast the movies, those races were reflected in her choices. She was trying to cast the characters that she wrote about, even if she didn't directly write a race in. We didn't get a white or black Cho for instance. She was Asian.

I'm kinda struggling to understand even the motive for doing so. Why is it important to make so much effort to prove a fictional character is white, even against the stated opinion of her creator? To what end is this effort?

I don't get it. If the author says her intention was to not define a character's race, why is it so important to prove that the character is white?
L

She never said, at least not in the articles I read, that she intended not to define Hermione's race. She said she never wrote the race in the book and that she loves the idea of a black Hermione. That's different than Rowling saying that Hermione didn't have a race and she didn't have an idea of what that race was.

It's not important to prove that the character is white. It's just pretty clear that the character is white or she would have been cast as a different race for the movies. It's not as if Rowling didn't have the various races represented in her books and movies.

tomBitonti

Adventurer
Eh, I don't see the issue. If Hermione's hair color were changed to black or blond, what difference would that make? Why should skin color be any more of an issue? How is it that skin color rises to a significance to be noteworthy?

Thx!
TomB

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Eh, I don't see the issue. If Hermione's hair color were changed to black or blond, what difference would that make? Why should skin color be any more of an issue? How is it that skin color rises to a significance to be noteworthy?

Thx!
TomB

If the next James Bond is Asian, I won't go see it. If they make a movie about the life of Bruce Lee and cast a white guy, I won't go see it. If the next spiderman remake has Peter Parker as a black guy, I won't go see it. Once race has been established for a character, changing it causes the whole movie/play to feel off.

That said, since this play isn't really Harry Potter, I don't really care what color Hermione is in it. If however, JK Rowling makes another Harry Potter movie and Hermione is black without some sort of explanation (magic gone wrong), I won't go see it.

If the next James Bond is Asian, I won't go see it. If they make a movie about the life of Bruce Lee and cast a white guy, I won't go see it. If the next spiderman remake has Peter Parker as a black guy, I won't go see it. Once race has been established for a character, changing it causes the whole movie/play to feel off.
I'm curious; can you guess the difference between the three individuals you've named?

Janx

Hero
I depends on what you are comparing. Two diamonds can be both perfect and different. The perfect key for the lock is going to have only one way for the teeth to be since changing the teeth will cause it to be unable to open the lock. Other perfect keys will be identical to the first in in that regard. A role is like a lock.

This is a logical fallacy.

If you don't have the perfect key, then the lock cannot open.

However, if you swap out one actor for another, the play can go on (and has for zillions of Shakespeare performances).

Therefore, an Actor is more like a diamond than a key, using your analogy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads