• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fury over Black Hermione Granger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
I'm surprised no-one has raised the reason which would actually make sense to use: Harmione is a mudblood, a person with wizardry powers born of mundane parents (parent?). Her racial similarity to other students is useful then to enhance the audience distaste for the discrimination that she faces. Placing a black actress next to an otherwise white cast would tie the discrimination to discrimination against people of color.

(The schools do reflect the regions from which their students are drawn. Compare the Hogwort's students with the students from the other schools. Students such as Cho are clearly the minority. And the inclusion of Cho as a person of Asian descent means that Rowlings was thinking of the races of the students.)

Thx!
TomB

Interesting. I hadn't even realized that. Maybe they mentioned it in the movies, but it's been such a long time since I've seen them I honestly can't even remember.

I'd never go see a female or black 007. I'd never go see an Asian Spiderman. If they tried to give me a white Martin Luther King or Powerman, I'd be upset. Once race and sex are established for a character, they should be adhered to.
Yeah because Martin Luther King is the same as the others.

No. I won't play your games. If you want me to engage with you, you'll need to respond in a way that actually contributes to the conversation and doesn't involve game playing.
That's rich. You're accusing me of playing games? Ha! That's a good one Maxi. Now go ahead and post another list of fictitious characters with one real person and pretend that they are all real.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

Gentlemen,

This has generally been a civil, interesting, and engaging thread. The two of you are stinking it up with your head-butting. Please stop.

If you do not engage in the thread like mature adults, you'll be asked to leave the discussion.

Last edited:

Dog Moon

Adventurer
That's rich. You're accusing me of playing games? Ha! That's a good one Maxi. Now go ahead and post another list of fictitious characters with one real person and pretend that they are all real.

While you are trying to get Max to look at the differences between them, it is also your responsibility to look at the similarities.

The point was not whether they were real people or fictitious people, the point was that we have all become accustomed to the person because of the way they have been throughout the entirety of history, whether real life history or fictional history. So while changing the race of a real person in a movie is different than changing the race of a fictional person in a movie for the obvious reason, they are also similar in that in both they go against the established race of the character, whether because the person was born of a particular race [Bruce Lee] or was simply given that race in a comic book or whatever [Batman/Spiderman].

In fact, I would bet some people probably know more about the history of Batman or Spiderman than they actually do Bruce Lee despite him being a real person because they are more familiar with them.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
While you are trying to get Max to look at the differences between them, it is also your responsibility to look at the similarities.

The point was not whether they were real people or fictitious people, the point was that we have all become accustomed to the person because of the way they have been throughout the entirety of history, whether real life history or fictional history. So while changing the race of a real person in a movie is different than changing the race of a fictional person in a movie for the obvious reason, they are also similar in that in both they go against the established race of the character, whether because the person was born of a particular race [Bruce Lee] or was simply given that race in a comic book or whatever [Batman/Spiderman].

In fact, I would bet some people probably know more about the history of Batman or Spiderman than they actually do Bruce Lee despite him being a real person because they are more familiar with them.

Bingo. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads