• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Future 5th Edition books you'd *like* to see?

RSIxidor

Adventurer
I don't know if a setting like this exists but I'd still like something that feels a bit like Legend of Zelda (without the one hero every generation/era/epoch is as awesome as an entire party bit).

Dungeons full of puzzles, old technology that barely work, old magic entwined in songs. There'd be some cool stuff there even if you divorce it from the concept of Hyrule altogether.

not-so-newguy

I'm the Straw Man in your argument
Two main things I'd like to see, other than old settings:

1. A hexcrawl sourcebook/setting/adventure. I'm thinking part should be about how to run and prepare a hexcrawl (exploration-based wilderness adventure), and the other part should be a worked example. Plenty of somewhat-detailed random encounters (NOT just fights), some fixed places, and perhaps an over-arching theme to tie them together (mysteries that get explained gradually).

1. This. Wellll...a source book anyway.

I just bought a twelve foot roll of hex gaming paper on amazon (arrives in late January) and plan to to draw out the map of Eastern Karameikos from Night's Dark Terror. Since my schedule won't allow for gaming for the next 2-3 months, I will be using my free time to put together my first 5e campaign and will take a good look at DM's options in the DMG (slower healing rates, encumbrance, etc). Been obsessed with B10 for awhile. BTW, found a 5E conversion of the module here:
http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14505&p=166439&hilit=B10#p166439

2. Also any/all advice on converting 5e games to the Mystara setting. Pandius and the piazza sites are immensely helpful, especially the newbie's guide, but something official from the WOTC team would help. I expect the arrival of a 5e Mystara book in early March 2022. ;-)

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Bloat of character options. Literally give me a full class for every subclass, and alternate versions of most current classes that are more about having a variety of distinct mechanical options to choose from both as you level and at a given point in an adventure. The total number of options is a meaningless consideration imo, just bring on more options.

A new setting, and better coverage of old settings, esp dragonlance, eberron, and dark sun.

A whole book of complex rules options, like expanded weapon and armor lists with new properties, expanded and specified rules for things like tinkering, inventing, etc.

More races and sub races with lots of juicy world building, like the 3.5 races of______ books. (Races of stone is a favorite of mine) except with more variations, instead of focusing on one version/world.

A world building book, expanding on the dm's stuff.

Nentir Vale and the world of islands setting Chris Perkins (I think) ran games in and wrote articles about?

A 5e Modern supplement, including near future stuff

A 5e Future book

Spell jammer

A book of the planes, detailing cosmologies and other planes

MechaPilot

Explorer
Ideally, I'd love book of monstrous races; not just things like kobolds and orcs, but Mind Flayers and Medusas and Demons and Ghosts, etc.

Odds are pretty darned good that we're not going to get that from WotC though, so I'm willing to settle for a UA article that gives guidance to DMs who want to make such races available to their players, ideally with at least one monstrous race provided and analyzed as an example of the process.

Dargrimm

First Post
I want more options for characters: more feats, more domains, more archetypes...

I want a splatbook about magic: more spells, more magic items, more wizard/sorcerer/warlock options, and even different magic (blood magic, rune magic, demonology, ...)

I want Dark Sun, more Ravenloft and maybe Dragonlance.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
1. This. Wellll...a source book anyway.

I just bought a twelve foot roll of hex gaming paper on amazon (arrives in late January) and plan to to draw out the map of Eastern Karameikos from Night's Dark Terror. Since my schedule won't allow for gaming for the next 2-3 months, I will be using my free time to put together my first 5e campaign and will take a good look at DM's options in the DMG (slower healing rates, encumbrance, etc). Been obsessed with B10 for awhile. BTW, found a 5E conversion of the module here:
http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14505&p=166439&hilit=B10#p166439

2. Also any/all advice on converting 5e games to the Mystara setting. Pandius and the piazza sites are immensely helpful, especially the newbie's guide, but something official from the WOTC team would help. I expect the arrival of a 5e Mystara book in early March 2022. ;-)

It's not exactly what you're looking for (no WotC involvement AFAIK), but have you seen this?

http://www.rpgmp3.com/ipb/files/file/1284-mystara-players-handbook/

It was updated several times; make sure you get the most recent version.

not-so-newguy

I'm the Straw Man in your argument
[MENTION=6798775]Ath-kethin[/MENTION]
I downloaded that a few months ago. Unfortunately, the words in th right column are mashed together. I just tried it again and...same result. Hopefully this can fixed. I'm using a Kindle fire

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I mostly want them to keep exploring other settings. Get out from under FR and embrace the huge diversity that D&D has to offer. That they're doing Ravenloft (even if as a "weekend in hell" expedition) is a good sign. I also want to tell different kinds of stories in D&D - stories that allow unique heroes and unique mechanics.

delericho

Legend
Assuming they're not about to suddenly reverse their "few, big releases" policy, then I'll ask for an MM2 (or Fiend Folio, or whatever they want to call it).

And then support for Eberron and/or Dark Sun. A simple conversion book for either would be fine, and DMguild only is likewise fine, as long as they include all the important elements of the setting.

I'd also be interested in Psionics support but only if they do conversions for at least one of the settings above - I won't be using them in any homebrew setting I run, I won't be using them in any of the other published settings, and I'm not interested in a new setting that might include them. Obviously, YMMV on that one! :)

Remove ads