D&D 5E Future 5th Edition books you'd *like* to see?

Tony Vargas

Legend
A martial handbook to make classes like the fighter or rogue interesting using maneuvers, in addition to offering alternatives like a ranger without magic.
One stumbling block, here, is that the extant 5e maneuver system is sequestered under the Battlemaster sub-class, and not in the SRD.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
One stumbling block, here, is that the extant 5e maneuver system is sequestered under the Battlemaster sub-class, and not in the SRD.

If I'm understanding the rules properly, this is only a problem if you want to make an OGLed book to sell outside of the DM's Guild. If you want to sell it only on the DM's Guild any of the 5th edition rules are fair game to use and so a set of martial alternatives using the maneuver system should be fine.

Tia Nadiezja

First Post
I want infinity monster books. More monsters are always a huge help in GMing.

Psionics. And tons more subclasses.

Oh! And a final version of Battlesystem. I've used the playtest rules to great effect in my Mystara game, but they're glitchy.

Last edited:

rooneg

Adventurer

I'd pay good money for an OGL martial handbook that replaces the Battlemaster entirely with a far more elaborate maneuver system.

I’d like to see:

• Another Monster Manual
  • A book with more stuff for fleshing out your character. More secrets, more backgrounds, etc. It could even be written to be system-neutral, which may interest non-D&D players.
  • Birthright campaign setting, including rules for playing campaigns as regents and running realms
  • Traps and challenges book
  • Magic item book a la 3.5E Magic Item Compendium
  • Spell book a la 3.5E Spell Compendium – I realise both of these came out near the end of 3.5E, but there are plenty of 3.5E and 4E spells and magic items that could be converted for these books
  • Wilderness book giving advice on running a hex-crawl/exploration campaign as well as advice on running sandboxes

Not anytime in the near future, but I would plonk down some money for a cross compatible Alternative PHB with completely different races, classes, feats, equipment and spells that could be played discretely on its own or your DM could pick and choose what to include or you could play an entirely PHB based game and still use the current MM and DMG for support. It is probably the best way to get classes like Shamans, Wardens, Warlords, etc into the game without infringing too much on the niches of the current classes.

I probably see something like this more as an end of edition type product before 6th Edition rolls out in 2024.

Before then just a big old 320 page splatbook of subclasses, new feats and spells would hold me over just fine. No theme. Not a themed Swampscape: The Complete Guide to Characters Who Like Swamps. Not a setting tied product with 40 pages of character options, but basically a PHB2 (just don't call it that though either.)

A MM2 and/or a Fiend Folio. I see that there is a pattern here with that, which is hardly surprising. There are plenty of D&D IP monsters out there still to be updated. Given that WotC has to know how much people want one, I don't doubt we'll see at least one in the relatively near future. Just make it as excellent and gorgeous as the original 5e MM please!

A 5e Manual of the Planes would seem to be a likely publication in the near future; each edition has had one so I don't see why the current one wouldn't get one as well. I do hope they keep it relatively utilitarian, with minimal extra stuff like class options and the like. I want in-depth info on the planes, darn it, not 12 pages of monster templates like in the 3e version!

Also, a full-fledged Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting. SCAG was OK as a starting point, but we need the whole shebang! I'd love to see an updated Greyhawk setting book as well.

Remove ads