Future of D&D Keynote Speech [UPDATE - with video!]

coyote6

Adventurer
For me, either .mobi (Kindle) or .epub (Nook) would be way better than PDF.

If they released stuff in .mobi or .epub, they would have to reformat everything. Since they're basically talking about decades of products, most of those products wouldn't exist as electronic files, meaning there'd be a lot of work. I can't see that being a profitable enterprise, really.

OTOH, who knows, perhaps they have been slaving away at reformatting every module for months now...

Sonny

Adventurer
Good on WoTC for taking the time to do things right. I was worried that if they were to launch D&D Next in 2013 they would have to cut corners and rush.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Point 1. Kevin looked great! Very professional job, I enjoyed the whole thing.
Point 2. Haters gonna hate. Within seconds of the finish, people on the live stream were tossing detractions about what they DIDN'T hear, and how it was gonna suck. Ugh.
Point 3. Maybe it is the need for revenue during development phase, but there's a lot of good that can come from Wotc's epubs, PDF or otherwise. People have been waiting literally years to get their hands on back catalog stuff again legally. Good on Wotc.

Obryn

Hero
If they released stuff in .mobi or .epub, they would have to reformat everything. Since they're basically talking about decades of products, most of those products wouldn't exist as electronic files, meaning there'd be a lot of work. I can't see that being a profitable enterprise, really.

OTOH, who knows, perhaps they have been slaving away at reformatting every module for months now...
Yeah, I don't consider it at all likely. Just ... IDEAL.

-O

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Also, in other news, Piratecat accidentally said "In Search of Adventure" rather than "In Search of the Unknown." Unless he was referring to the compilation that included a bit of "In Search of the Unknown," in which case he accidentally said "B1." B-)

/compulsive wankerness

I totally screwed up. Unknown, not Adventure, and I should know that!

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Point 2. Haters gonna hate. Within seconds of the finish, people on the live stream were tossing detractions about what they DIDN'T hear, and how it was gonna suck. Ugh.

Yeah, and during it. Some complained from the get-go that they didn't just have someone walk out and blurt out the big announcement and leave. And they complained the same way relentlessly, exhibiting no patience or media savvy, jonesing for instant gratification. I kept wondering why they didn't just stop watching and wait for the announcement via Twitter. I mean, anyone with any experience with Western media knows that the big announcement never comes at the beginning. I was surprised that it came, what, midway through?

I enjoyed it as a well-produced presentation. Smooth, informative, and interesting.

But it did start almost a half-hour late.

Remove ads