Future of D&D Keynote Speech [UPDATE - with video!]

Scribble

First Post
I wouldn't be surprised if they went with some sort of ereader format (kindle, nook, or both) since they seem to be having good luck with that in their fiction department.

But maybe they'd go with pdfs... Maybe they're really in "gain back some good will" mode so they'd go with whatever the crowd wants.

Phaezen

First Post
From Mike Mearls' twitter feed the electronic releases are not the scanned pdfs they had for sale a couple of years ago

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
I can't watch the video right now, but I'm curious. Is the playtest intended to be a 2-year process from the point they started playtesting internally or when we started playtesting publicly?

Ratenef

Explorer
Just watched the 'keynote' and thought the it was rather informative and promising.

However, I couldn't help but notice the entire thing was scripted and read from a teleprompter (keep watching Ed's eyes when he speaks). Which means that corporate/legal was seriously controlling what was said during the 'keynote'.

I will say they may have just won me back into the novels. And despite my vitriol for 4th edition, perhaps DnD Next might be a good change for DnD (every odd version seems to be the best)

I'm also curious as to when the two-year playtest timespan begins and ends. "From when we started talking about this in-house until the day the book hits the streets" is different from "from when we released the first public playtest until the day we declare the playtest over and start making the final tweaks".

Not having watched the full video, do they actually come right out and say, "D&D Next isn't going to be released until 2014"?

Jupp

Explorer
I can't watch the video right now, but I'm curious. Is the playtest intended to be a 2-year process from the point they started playtesting internally or when we started playtesting publicly?

From how I understood it from the video the two years countdown has started more or less with the first public testing. Though it was not entirely clear in the vid (or me English language check failed me miserably). The part about that in the video is around 1:04:40

Remove ads