Future of D&D Keynote Speech [UPDATE - with video!]

delericho

Legend
4. Not a single question, comment, or reference to the elephant in the room: OGL/GSL/3P support. I suspect that bodes ill for it. That’s a premature conclusion, but for gamers, I think that was just as interesting a topic as Realms-novels. If there was one criticism I had for PirateCat, this would be it, but I’m guessing that was WotC’s call, not his.

Indeed. Nothing about the DDI, either. Those two are huge areas, and I would really like to know what WotC are thinking.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Several speakers can be seen to have note cards in their hands. They show the entire stage at the beginning and I can see no teleprompter. I really don't think there is a teleprompter. Yes, it was organized (the slides indicate that), but I don't think it was organized down to the individual words used.

mudbunny

Community Supporter
OGL - It is way, way too early in the process for that to be considered or talked about. I would guess that we would see whispers of an OGL about 9-12 months prior to release date, and open talk between 3 and 6 months prior to the release date.

DDI - I would be very, very surprised to see any sort of mention of what the electronic tools will consist of more than 3 or 4 months before the release. That being said, I also think that it is a complete no-brainer for WotC to have some sort of electronic tools presence for Next. DDI was, last I looked, bringing in a couple of million dollars a year for WotC (around 50k subscribers at about $10 a month) in a predictable fashion is not something that any company the size of WotC will scoff at.

I do, however, think that this version of the tools will have a much greater emphasis on APIs and have an iTunes-like store available for 3pps

Ratenef

Explorer
I for one would be completely surprised if they even considered an OGL model again.

The last one worked so much better for the competition than for WotC themselves, to the point that it created not only their major competition (Pathfinder) but gave them the lion's share of the market.

From the perspective of a shareholder, the real people who drive the DnD 'engine', to open that 'can of worms' would just be lessening the profitability of WotC.

This is likely why DnD Next is so fixed on creating a 'great' game, because that is the most likely method that they can win back all the people who now find Pathfinder their safe haven. Not to mention people like me, and my group, who never left 3.5.

Dark Mistress

First Post
OGL - It is way, way too early in the process for that to be considered or talked about. I would guess that we would see whispers of an OGL about 9-12 months prior to release date, and open talk between 3 and 6 months prior to the release date.

I disagree with this part. I think a OGL/GSL or what ever they end up calling it. Needs to be completely 100% done including feedback implemented no later than 6 months before the release of 5E. 3pp need time to examine the document, decided if they want to take part in it. Then have time to develop products and get them printed, to have them be able to come out at the same time or very very shortly after 5E hits the streets.

Anything less than that and it will take a bit for any 3pp support to come out. I mean imagine how much it could help if when 5E comes out you have some adventures from Green Ronin, Frog God Games(former Necromancer games), Open Design, Goodman Games etc. I think it would be good PR and give people some fun adventures to jump into right away, to give a better first play experience.

This of course is just my own personal opinion.

Barf-fest
Put the Realms out of it's misery, please!
Another world shacking event, but oh no they say it isn't!
YAWN!

Best comment EVER was on chat, and note the name
carlsargent:
forgotten realms is for sheepshaggers and plonkers, bring back Greyhawk
haha!!! :p

Campaign setting reborn?
do I get Planescape, Ravenloft or Spelljammer?
Nope, I get "bored of the Realms"
There is no such thing as the new trilogy of star wars,k?
No Highlander 2
No Realms after the Grey boxed set!

the apathetic applause at the announcement of THE SUNDERING summed it up, really.

just cause I have great deal of gratitude and respect for those involved, doesn't mean we should pussyfoot around this.
D&D is in DEEP poop.
A well made, turn based, 4th ed D&D computer game would do vastly more to halt D&Ds decline than all the shenannigans so far.
1st to 3rd ed are not very good for current youngsters to pick up for one glaring reason *beyond lack of computer version*
WHACK A RAT

roll dice batter each other, no movement like DUH?! (oh, 3..5 had soem but was pain to do)
Kids are used ot DYNAMIC combat, because, its more fun, it's more realistic
4th ed got that right (has issues but got us away from idiot Whack-A-Rat gameplay, attacks moved enemies etc)

this event will not change one damn thing to keep D&D alive long term, because D&D needs KIDS EAGER TO PLAY IT.
This was a muutal hug fest.

variant

Adventurer
Forgotten Realms is just worn out. I honestly don't think there is anything they could do to get me remotely interested in it anymore. The death of Eilistraee and the drow changing into 'dark elves' and the whole thing with Drizzt killing adventurers who dared kill orcs was basically the last straw.

Last edited:

mudbunny

Community Supporter
I disagree with this part. I think a OGL/GSL or what ever they end up calling it. Needs to be completely 100% done including feedback implemented no later than 6 months before the release of 5E. 3pp need time to examine the document, decided if they want to take part in it. Then have time to develop products and get them printed, to have them be able to come out at the same time or very very shortly after 5E hits the streets.

Anything less than that and it will take a bit for any 3pp support to come out. I mean imagine how much it could help if when 5E comes out you have some adventures from Green Ronin, Frog God Games(former Necromancer games), Open Design, Goodman Games etc. I think it would be good PR and give people some fun adventures to jump into right away, to give a better first play experience.

This of course is just my own personal opinion.

Sorry, I was unclear in my comments.

When I say that we start hearing whispers at about 9-12 months, I mean that the OGL is pretty much completed and it is being sent to 3pps for comments, and that they are allowed to say that they are producing stuff under the OGL at 3-6 months out.

My apologies for being unclear.

Dark Mistress

First Post
Sorry, I was unclear in my comments.

When I say that we start hearing whispers at about 9-12 months, I mean that the OGL is pretty much completed and it is being sent to 3pps for comments, and that they are allowed to say that they are producing stuff under the OGL at 3-6 months out.

My apologies for being unclear.

No worries. I just thought you meant it didn't need to be done till much later. just a misunderstanding. :)

Remove ads