• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

G.I. JOE [Spycraft] RECRUITMENT

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
Douane said:
Gen. Flagg is obviously already dead, but how far are we into the rest of the continuity? I take it that GI Joe still has the first PIT and Cobra Island has not yet been raised, right?

First thanks for the email I haven't had as chance to read the whole pdf yet, but I do appreciate it.’

As for the above I hope we are in are own little world, I would hate to think that the Joes who will die have no chance to be saved or that all of the Lady in the unit have been accounted for. ;) etc etc etc. :)

Douane

First Post
Brother Shatterstone said:
As for the above I hope we are in are own little world, I would hate to think that the Joes who will die have no chance to be saved or that all of the Lady in the unit have been accounted for. ;) etc etc etc. :)

I very well remember that we had that discussion before ;), but I was not referring to the fate of single joes (bad pun, I know :D), but to the different stages of development the whole organizations go through and at what point we are, ie. are the Joes a nomad unit or do they have a PIT and whether Cobra has grown beyond the simple "extra-territorial terrorist organization".

Just to put everything in a proper perspective / frame. :)

Folkert

Last edited:

Nuke261

Rogue Warrior
We are in our own "Joe Universe." Gen Flagg is dead and Cobra island is about to be created if it is not already in existence. I do not want to nail down that tidbit yet since I have 3 big ideas in mind for this campaign and Cobra Island is not yet in them.

Think of this as an alternate reality that has split off from comic book continuity sometime around the Cobra Island origin.

Anyone who enters the room must make a spot check to see Ambush. I realize the enthusiasm to post, so we will not worry about it at this time. However his filecard says he once disguised himself as a tumbleweed. Keia plans to utilize the 'blending in to the surroundings aspect to its fullest.

Roy, don't make too many enemies in the lower ranks, they are the ones who will have your back. Lt Falcon is arrogant, but I think he is still a team player. If not we could always send him to the Slaughter House!!!!

Everyone has done a nice job of jumping into things!! Great work!! Keep it up!!

Nuke

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
Oh some general information as I saw that my post contained a few references to navy things and what not...

Public Announcements System, their are three different PA systems on your typical carrier.

1MC: Broadcast to the whole ship used to inform the whole crew.
3MC: hanger bay, the moving of planes, etc.
5MC: flight deck, flight operations.
Note: 1MC announcements are also carried on the 3MC and 5MC.

Navigation through the ship

The ship is the size of a small city, with out some form of an address system one could very easy get lost as most of the ship is very similar in design and appearance. Divided up by 4 numbers, you could consider this your address but it does differ some. Here is an example:

4-180-0-C

The first number tells you how high, or low you are. There are a total of 18 levels. The hanger bay is the 1st deck. (1-100-0) if you go lower you have decks: 2nd deck, 3rd deck, all the way down to the 7th deck. If you go higher than the hanger bay you have levels their labeled with a 0 but they are pronounced like “o”. Examples: 01 Level, 02 Level, 03 Level, and all the way up to the 010 level which isn’t the bridge by the way.

The second number, frame, tells you how far forward or aft you are. 1 is the extreme forward and 255 is the last frame of the ship and is extreme aft. (fantail)

The third number is the centerline if your at 0 your in the middle of the ship the farther starboard (right side, while looking forward) you go the higher the number is but it is always odd. The farther port (left side while looking forward) you go the higher the number is but it is always even.

The last “number” isn’t a number but a designator of what kind of a space it is.
C = Commication
L = Living
E = Engineering
Q = Is general use

Theirs are no cabins on the ship. :D (well minus one but no member of the Joe team is sleeping in their

Enlisted sleep in breathings of 10 to 100 people depending on the size of the space and the size of their department. E7 and above (chiefs in the navy) have their own breathings and do not breath with junior enlisted. (E1 to E6) E6 sometimes have their own breathings it mainly depends upon size of department.

Officers sleep in staterooms. Lower ranking officer’s share rooms while higher-ranking officers have there own staterooms.

Females have there own breathings, but are still divided by junior enlisted, upper enlisted, and officer.

FYI: CO of the ship has two staterooms; import cabin, and the CO stateroom outside of the navigation bridge (O9 Level)

CO the Flagg has total control of the ship even if out ranked by an admiral. The CO if the ship is always called Captain even if only a commander, or even if an admiral.

Food
Junior Enlisted: Galleys (forward and aft)
Upper enlisted: Chiefs Mess
Officer: Wardrooms

Best food on the ship is usually in the Chiefs Mess (they pay for their food.)

I’ll make more comments as I can and corrections to the few things I’ve forgotten since my time on the USS Carl Vinson.

Last edited:

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
Nuke261 said:
WAnyone who enters the room must make a spot check to see Ambush. I realize the enthusiasm to post, so we will not worry about it at this time. However his filecard says he once disguised himself as a tumbleweed. Keia plans to utilize the 'blending in to the surroundings aspect to its fullest.

I see no issue with that and I'll take my chances on a spot check... It's not like Torpedo is going to go around anywhere without making one.

Also Torpedo’s filecard states that he swimming skill is ungodly... any chance of me being able to do the 100 lbs. of equipment with out an issue? (I know D&D is near death in that, spycraft seems to be more lenity but I haven't tested it by running hypothetical and dice through it.)

Douane

First Post
Brother S.,

thanks for the info!

I stand corrected. :)

[Unfortunately the only carrier I can claim any real knowledge of is the "Graf Zeppelin", and that was some days ago. ;) ]

BTW, has anyone an idea where I could find some info/help regarding military slang / vocabulary on the 'net? (I'm somehow afraid my own german won't really do. :D )

Folkert

Last edited:

Ahzad

Explorer
Douane said:
Brother S.,

thanks for the info!

I stand corrected. :)

[Unfortunately the only carrier I can claim any real knowledge of is the "Graf Zeppelin", and that was some days ago. ;) ]

BTW, has anyone an idea where I could find some info/help regarding military slang / vocabulary on the 'net? (I'm somehow afraid my own german won't really do. :D )

Folkert

Hey Douane, where is Göttingen, Germany? I was stationed in Mannheim for 3 years while I was in the Army.

Remove ads