• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Game Administrivia

Fists.o.Fury

First Post
I figure posting it here will be as good as any. This is my (TORMAL) new name. I figured because i'm a host to a number of different characters I'd come up with little more generic of a name! All the same otherwise - just wanted to let everyone know.

Meowzebub

First Post
I am not going to turn down free levels. I found it very different building a character of middle level than just naturally following a character's natural progression as he/she advances. The total concept I had for Luvaine to really hit his stride requires two more levels. If starting from 1st, I do not think I would have built a character like this, but given several levels to play with to shoot for a concept created weird powergamer tendencies to try to build a better concept of a character.

BSF

Explorer
Organically grown characters are definitely different than ones beginning at higher levels. Different options, different concerns, the opportunity to bypass certain low points in the PC career and other concerns can make for a somewhat liberating PC. My experience is that most PCs beginning at level X tend to be more efficiently built than a PC that grew to level X. But by the same token, growing to a certain level has a lot of RP advantages. You establish a character history rather than narrate a background.

Fists.o.Fury

First Post
Having experience in both categories I can't say whether or not I like one or the other. But that is not to say you have to make a choice either! I have to say I find it a bit more fulfilling developing a character from scratch and building them up from the bottom. It has a level of personality you can't get when jumping into a character from a high level. On the other hand I enjoy having the mechanical flexibilty @ higher levels to really make the PC shine on a skill level right from the start. They're both very fun IMO. On that same note both Gelvin and Tormal start to open up as characters around level 8 too. For tormal it really gets good @ 9th. I can't wait to play this campaign again! :)

Oh and that does bring me to a question I wanted to ask BSF. There is a book/pdf - the complete guide to arms and armor - that is 3rd edition. In this book there are weapons called Fukimi - bari. They are simply mouth darts with a 5' increment and do a base damage of 1. Would gelvin/tormal be able to find these anywhere? Not that they are effective but I like the flavor.

Last edited:

BSF

Explorer
OK, it is now Saturday and we have the vocal majority to go with.

First - If the next session is not a TPK and somebody gets out alive, we will poll the group and find out who has the most exp. We will then bump everyone up to the minimum exp to be an equitable level. It will be up to you guys to stop and train to make use of that exp.

Second - Experience earned is carried over to whichever PC is being played.

Third - We end up with a contradiction for replacement characters. I knew something didn't seem quite right when I posted above. We don't need to reset replacement characters to the average of the party. The second point above logically dictates that replacement characters pick up from where the deceased character left off. However, replacement characters still suffer a two negative level affect as they are integrated into the group. This is earned off at one negative level every two sessions ( Four sessions to get rid of both of them.)

Fourth - Brand new additions to the group (such as from a new player) will start a character at the average of the party and begin with a two negative level affect in the same manner as replacement characters.

It sounds a bit complicated, but I think it is an improvement and easier to manage in the long term. Thank you to everyone that participated in the discussion.

Fists.o.Fury

First Post
Sounds good. Here's a summary.

Character Temporary Death (Raised)
- Character Level = Character's Level before death with a NEG. Level modifier.
- NEG. Level Modifier will be worked off by ganing levels accordingly.
- Character was raised by 'Raise Dead' = 2/levels to work off modifier.
- Character was raised by 'Resurerrection or higher' = 1/level to work off modifier.
*If a character uses a temp. character over a period of sessions and then raises their
primary character they can apply any exp gained over that time to the raised
character.

Character Permanent Death/Replacement
- Character Level = Previous character level.
- Character will have 2 NEG. Level modifiers to work off over a period of 4 sessions.
(2/session)

New Characters

- Character is introduced at the groups average level
- Character will have 2 NEG. Level modifiers to work off over a period of 4 sessions.
(2/session)

BSF

Explorer
Providing clarity here to FoF's summary. :D

Character Temporary Death (Raising Magic)
  • Character Level = Character's Exp with a NEG. Level modifier dependent on the magic used.
    • Raise Dead/Reincarnation = 1 Neg levels
    • Resurrection = 1 Neg level
    • True Resurrection = 0 Neg levels (It's cool!)
  • Negative levels must be earned back as the character advances normally. The 'buy off' rate is depedent on the spell used.
    • Raise Dead/Reincarnation = 2 levels to fully buy off the Neg level.
    • Resurrection = 1 level to fully buy off the Neg level.
  • Experience is awarded to a player. If the Player plays a temporary PC until the regular PC can be returned to the living, the newly restored character still benefits from earned experience. (Though the PC must still train.)

Character Permanent Death/Replacement
  • Character Experience = Previous character experience.
  • Character will have 2 Neg. Level modifiers to work off over a period of 4 sessions. (1 Neg level/2 sessions)

New Character (via a new Player)
  • Character is introduced at minimum experience for the group's average level.
  • Character will have 2 Neg. Level modifiers to work off over a period of 4 sessions. (1 Neg level/2 sessions)

Mostly I want to point out that you retain the same amount of experience, not merely the same level. With the right amount of experience, it is possible to very quickly buy off negative levels. As well, replacement characters might have LA. I hope it is all fairly clear.

Last edited:

BSF

Explorer
Fists.o.Fury said:
Oh and that does bring me to a question I wanted to ask BSF. There is a book/pdf - the complete guide to arms and armor - that is 3rd edition. In this book there are weapons called Fukimi - bari. They are simply mouth darts with a 5' increment and do a base damage of 1. Would gelvin/tormal be able to find these anywhere? Not that they are effective but I like the flavor.

I'm not familiar with the book. I have Bastion Press' Arms and Armor 3.5. Excellent reference, but it doesn't seem to include what you are looking for. I suppose it might be in Oriental Adventures, but I haven't looked.

Mouth darts are interesting, but I don't see how you would get more than 1 point of damage from them. Well, magic would help of course. But as is? If you bring the book with you, we can take a look at it.

Fists.o.Fury

First Post
Ok, Sounds good. I do have one question about the Character temporary death from above.

BardStephenFox said:
Providing clarity here to FoF's summary. :D

Character Temporary Death (Raising Magic)
  • Character Level = Character's Exp with a NEG. Level modifier dependent on the magic used.
    • Raise Dead/Reincarnation = 2 Neg levels
    • Resurrection = 1 Neg level
    • True Resurrection = 0 Neg levels (It's cool!)

Wasn't it supposed to be one negative level per death/raise and the type of magic determined how many times your character would have to level to work it off? Or did you decided to change it?

Remove ads