• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Game Administrivia

BSF

Explorer
I'm willing to consider that. It would make introducing a new PC easier as well. I am thinking Luvaine at the moment. Start a new PC at the party average and then apply 1 or 2 negative levels that are worked off as they come up to speed with a new adventuring group. Perhaps limit those levels to being worked off over x number of sessions?

Tell you guys what. If any of you make it out alive, we will take the PC with the most exp as the 'baseline'. Whatever level that PC is at is the new 'starting point'. This will likely be Ceru or Tyrm. I think that starting point will probably be 8th level. What exp total is that? 28,000? If we have somebody above that, we will bump everybody up to that as the baseline. Everybody below will get somewhat caught up, everybody above will be a little ahead. Anybody being brought back from the dead will accrue negative levels that need to be earned back. Anybody bringing in a new PC will have 2 negative levels that will be earned back in X number of sessions. How many is a fair number of sessions per negative level?

This will give us a common baseline for everyone and allow us to implement negative levels. The 2 level penalty for X sessions is a slight disincentive to swap out characters, but not a bad one.

Thoughts?

Tormal

First Post
Ok I'm not sure I understand completely.

Here's what I DO understand. A character brought back in for replacement from a permanent death or whatever is brought back at the highest level of the group and given 2 NEG levels for a period of time. If a character dies and then is raised he or she is brought back with either neg 1 or 2 levels (depending on the spell used) and gains experience as if they were not dead. Correct?

What I don't understand is what you mean when you say that the baseline will be the starting point. Do you mean indefinately or will that be adjusted according to the highest level in the group? Secondly I don't understand what you mean by bumping everyone up to that level. Do you mean like a sudden level adjustment for everyone? Or are you saying only when a character dies will they be adjusted to the 'baseline'...?

Other then that I'd say 2 or 3 sessions per mark would be fair. What does everyone else think? Too much? too little?

Last edited:

BSF

Explorer
New characters will be brought in at the same level as the average of the party, with 2 negative levels. Effectively they will operate at a little lower leve for a few sessions then they will catch up.

If any of you get out of this, we will baseline all PCs to the same level and work from there. For some people it will be jumping up in levels.

Assuming I am correct in my assumption that either Tyrm or Ceru is the highest exp in the party, with enough to bring one of them to at least 8th level, then everyone who isn't 8th level will be at exactly 28000 exp. This will likely impact Luvaine, Kind, Deigh and Tormal/Gelvin the most. Oceas, Tyrm and Ceru might be at 28000+ exp.

This will bring the SOL from a combined power level of 273 to 448 and an Encounter Level of 17.19 to 18.61. Yeah, the mathematics probably don't mean a lot to most of you. :) (Though they might be meaningful to Macbeth and Meowzebub.) It's just a scale of relative strength for you to look at.

What this also does is gives all of you a chance to level up together and, if you choose, discuss your options and choices so you have a better idea how the PCs mesh together as an operational unit.

Macbeth

First Post
Will we still have to train to gain levels based on this XP boost that we might get? Or, since we're getting it under strange circumstances anyway, would it lead directly to levels?

Tormal

First Post
Good question Macbeth. Stole it right out from under me and If i hadn't just refreshed my browser we would have asked the same question! :)

BSF, Thanks for clarifying that for me! I understand now! I sure hope I can get Tormal back after this quest. Leveling to 8th level is a great boost for him and I feel like Tormal complements our groups needs more then Gelvin anyday. I know Deigh and Tormal are great together and once we get a bit more experience with Luvaine in the fray I don't think we will need to worry about our melee capabilities anymore.

On the other hand if I must give Tormal up, after some time I'm sure I can learn to use Gelvin just as effectively!

BSF

Explorer
OK, fair enough question. I would assume you would want to train. I will be bumping up the exp points, but I will leave it up to you guys to determine if you want to actually use them to train for levels. You don't have to.

Your call.

Tormal

First Post
LOL not to say that I would have a problem getting everyone else to agree with it. Just saying - this group has a tendancy to not want to level up for wierd reasons! :) But, If no one votes on it I think Macbeth and I have majority vote here! :p

Remove ads