• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Game Closed] Dead of Winter: DnD3e-CoC Game in the Forgotten Realms (IC Forum)

drs

First Post
bluegreenone said:
Hey novyet, I noticed that Ezra is listed as having improved initiative as a bonus feat. I was going to take that as well but I noticed that it require the "expertise" feat first. Sorry :(

I think you got ya improved's mixed up bluegreenone, improved disarm needs expertise, improved initiative got no prerequisites. :D

Nice character so far, by the way.

bluegreenone

First Post
Absolutely right, novyet my apologies! I look forward to taking improved inititative. But upon closer inspection I think I need to take simple weapon proficiency since I only have 1 feat. Seems sort of weird that non-exotic weapon skills require a feat, but I guess there's a reason for it.

Old Fezziwig

a man builds a city with banks and cathedrals
bluegreenone — I like the character so far, but I do have one question — why are you planning on taking a simple weapon proficiency? According to the PHB, Druids are proficient in club, dagger, dart, halfspear, longspear, quarterstaff, scimitar, shortspear, and sling. Unless you're planning on doing something I don't know about, you should be fine. :) Did you get my e-mail, by the way?

I'll be posting information on Caerrhen tonight, just to let you all know.

Best,
tKL

Old Fezziwig

Caerrhen

[At the time of the start of the campaign, you can all consider yourselves to have arrived in Caerrhen within the previous 24 hours. The following is the basic information that you would become aware of within the first 3 or 4 hours of entering Caerrhen, excepting the first paragraph regarding location — all Damarans or Impilturans would likely know this information (whether you know it or not, is up to you).]

Caerrhen is a small mining village on the Impiltur-Damara frontier, southeast of the Earthwood, a short ride south of the River Icehilt, and due east of Ilmwatch. Although technically located on Damaran land, the Council of Lords from Impiltur and King Dragonsbane of Damara have reached a highly publicized agreement regarding the metal ores and isolated gemstones yielded by the mine. In short, Damara has certain rights and privileges regarding the products of the mine (reduced prices, first refusal, etc., although it is widely rumoured that the agreement includes other clauses and sections regarding military alliances and other more sensitive state matters).

Most of the buildings are fairly well constructed, usually from a combination of wood and stone. Two major roads, the Southern Road from Impiltur and the Mine Road from the Earthspur Mountains, service the town, splitting open the town walls at their points of entry. Currently, at the height of summer, the roads are in rather good condition, although one can easily imagine the damage done to them during winter and spring.

The village itself boasts four remarkable buildings, readily noticeable to all travelers entering Caerrhen from either of the two main roads:

* The regionally-famous Elk & Star, located just inside the Southern Gate, is a tavern run by a one-armed half-elf named Rhistellius Arkhendeire. Famed throughout Impiltur for it's Zalantar Ale, named so because of the blackwood casks that house Rhistellius's house ale, lending the ale a peculiarly bitter taste.

* A gigantic foundry located on the outskirts of the village dominates the Caerrhen landscape, if not for it's size, then for the constant smoke and steam it releases into the sky over the village. Because of the foundry, most of the village is covered by a light dusting of soot. The foundry is the last building in Caerrhen proper on the Mine Road, and sits due west of the Village center.

* Just opposite the foundry, on the other side of the road, rests another large tavern, the Miner's Tankard, which services the workers from the mines.

* In the very center of town, directly on the banks of the River Icehilt, is a rather conspicuous temple of Ilmater, notable for the bloodstone and marble rendition of the Ilmaterian symbol (white hands bound at the wrists with a red cord). The temple is clearly undergoing the last stages of construction, as the scaffolding and work crews suggest.

[As far as climate is concerned, the terrain is fairly rocky and the vegetation, rather alpine. It's intensely warm now, but short summers and long winters are the norm.]

What I need to know from all of you are the following items:
1. At what time in the last 24 hours did you arrive in Caerrhen?
2. Where are you staying? One of the inns (Elk & Star, Miner's Tankard)? Are you camping outside the town? Somewhere else? Have you arrived so recently that plans for accomodations have yet to be made?

If you need more information than what I've given you above, e-mail me and we can work something out. Hope this helps.

Best,
tKL

Last edited:

drs

First Post
Fezzin can lead the way, as long as Miner's Tankard takes adventurers. And I would say we would have booked earlier in day, arriving in Caerrhen 11 am –ish, thus we would have left very early morning from the last town/camp. If that's ok?

Last edited:

perivas

First Post
Final touches to complete Yanis...

I'll fill in the remaining blanks to complete Yanis Princetonson....

Recent History: Yanis' journey to Impiltur landed him in Dilpur. Half by chance and half by diligent investigative work, he discovered his first beneficiary--a young man named Karok, a miner by trade.

Apparently, Karok had been lucky in his mining efforts and discovered a chunk of precious metal. He had then headed to Dilpur to market his find and hopefully use the subsequent funds to set himself up in life. Karok, being a naive country bumpkin, was too free with his find and attracted the attention of the criminal elements in Dilpur. These individuals "bought" Karok's find and later claimed to be "defrauded" by Karok and some accursed illusionary magic. They demanded the return of their funds and threatened to throw Karok in jail.

Yanis discovered the young man in his plight and offered help. Yanis managed to recover the young man's find and they escaped the criminal elements' grasp by posing as adventurers to ride as "swordpoints". They eventually arrived at Caerrhan and used the find to purchase equipment and to start Karok's new life.

Karok is apparently happy to continue working as a miner, thankful and wiser for escaping from a dire fate. Yanis is happy with a job well done and is joining Karok for a drink at the Miner's Tankard before moving on to new adventures. Yanis had set up camp the night before just outside Caerrhan, entering town early in the morning, and has made arrangements to stay tonight at the Miner's Tankard before moving on tomorrow.

Possessions: Masterwork studded leather armor (bonus equipment); masterwork thief's tools (bonus equipment); scimitar, shortsword, 5 hunting knives, silvered dagger, shortbow, 20 arrows, sling; vial of antitoxin, backpack, belt pouch, bedroll, winter blanket, chalk, crowbar, everburning torch, explorer's outfit, fishhooks, flint & steel, grappling hook & 50' silk rope, silver holy symbol (Tymora), vial of holy water, steel hook which can be wedged tightly at end of pole, 10 pitons, 10' collapsable pole, potion belt, sack, soap, tent, ball of thread, trail rations (7 days), waterskin; 2 potions of invisiblity, potion of cure light wounds, potion of faith healing (Tymora), 2 potions of detect magic, potion of expeditious retreat, potion of jump; 36gp, 8 sp, 8 cp

Patron deity: Tymora, Mistress of Good Fortune

Last edited:

RichardFannon

First Post
My characters actions

Arrived in the town at about 2-3 pm, booked in at the Miners Tankard and asked at the bar about how to find Keargrynn Andelspar

If Keargrynn doesn't have a job opening (and who'd really turn down a dwarven weaponsmith who's a wizard to boot - just think about how much of a boon an Endure Elements spell would be to a metalworker?) then he'll try to find a job at the foundary

Old Fezziwig

Hi, all. I just got through to the server, so I'll try and address everything that I've not addressed since my last post, which shouldn't be too hard as it's not as much as I thought it was.

I've got Fezzin and Sir Danilk arriving at 1100 hrs, Yanis entering in the early morning (somewhere between 0800 hrs and 1000 hrs, I'm assuming), and Oskar showing up between 1400 and 1500 hrs. I'll be poking back in some time tonight to see where we're at, but most of my time currently (if I seem a bit quiet) is going to be spent finalizing the Prologue to the campaign (which would be your first scenario :)).

Any questions, post them here, or send me an e-mail (in my profile).

Best,
tKL

bluegreenone

First Post
I arrive around 1pm outside of town. I will spend some time finding a suitable campsite in the forest, which I much prefer to the crowded masses and sooty streets of the town. Once settled I plan to go into town to conduct the business I've come for.

Daan

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads