• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Game Fundamentals - The Illusion of Accomplishment

AllisterH

First Post
Celebrim, what you're referring to seems more like STRATEGY than actual TACTICS.

STRATEGY - everything that happens before the actual battle that help move the odds in your favour

TACTICS - everything that happens DURING the actual battle that helps move the odds in your favour.

Choosing a "blunt" weapon/Negative plane protection spell when going into Ravenloft - Strategy
Pushing the undead into the container of holy water - Tactics.

AllisterH

First Post
I think that's an exception rather than a rule. Compared to when I was young (wait, when did I get old?), there's a lot more TV shows that take up a hour timeslot rather than a 30 minute one. In fact, almost everything I watch on TV these days falls under that... Bones, House, Fringe, Law and Order, NCIS. Or it seems that way to me, anyway.

At the least, there seems to be more shows that require you to be "invested" a.k.a., you have to watch them in order and woe be to you if you miss an episode.

Other than the premiere episode, shows (excluding soap operas) from the 70s/80s pretty much have interchangeable episodes unless a new character gets introduced. (example, MASH can be watched out of order as long as you stay within certain time frames of characters appearing)

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Celebrim, what you're referring to seems more like STRATEGY than actual TACTICS.

STRATEGY - everything that happens before the actual battle that help move the odds in your favour

TACTICS - everything that happens DURING the actual battle that helps move the odds in your favour.

Choosing a "blunt" weapon/Negative plane protection spell when going into Ravenloft - Strategy
Pushing the undead into the container of holy water - Tactics.

I think it has as much to do with presumed in game world time governed by a round...
you pretty much are perfectly reasonable in ignoring small choices when one
round involves dozens of them.

It meant that social gamer x who doesnt want to think about the
details or the game aspect gets satisfied ... but relying on the DM to provide all those details
is intrinsically less than satisfying for those who want to feel like
"it was them doing all this stuff" . For those who just want simulation
even it isnt bad if the DM is really good at his job.(and some DMs might be awesome at
providing details <and most weren't /> but since I didn't get to chose? or feel
like I chose, Feh ... ithose details are just watching a dms movie controlled by dice).

Some elements were just done wrong. .. weapon length
IRL Weapon reach induces a dance of either weapon going in and out of best position
for its reach which is almost a wash over the course of a whole minute...
ie the longer weapon gets first opportunity advantaged position (unless suprised) but loses as soon
as it is capitalized on without success at which time advantage toggles to the shorter
reach weapon... this is due to fighting style involved in how the weapon is used
not just the reach of the weapons.

Fighting style changes enough by weapon type in fact that OD&D has all weapons functionally equal
and 4e if you have the right fighting style for them are similarly equal. Dirks and Zwiehanders for
example.... are functionaly equal but they get that way in very distinct fashions.
-> In OD&D descriptions and in 4e cinematic maneuvers(powers) feats and class features.

Last edited:

How is this tactical Celebrim? The DM set up a perfect situation in which to use a single tactic all fight long? Oh noes, the gnolls set up a skirmish line. Who cares? It's still, I move here, I roll my single attack, next. There's still no other actions being taken.
There's ducking behind the tree for cover, the flaming oil gambit, the archer running off and you chasing him. There are no mechanics for these things but you still decide whether or not to do them.
To me, tactical play isn't setting up the optimal situation and spamming one single option over and over again. Tactical play means that I have at least two choices beyond, do i roll a d20 at this guy or that guy.
Since that's how you define then you can't be wrong. But I disagree with your definition. Choosing between my at-will power vs my daily power will eventually lead to my rolling a d20 at this guy or that guy. Why is that a choice but swinging a sword at this guy or that guy is not a choice?

Thinking about your post, I admit some confusion. Apparently, average combats featured twenty, thirty combats regularly, but only lasted about four rounds and took fifteen minutes to resolve, YET, still contained vast tactical breadth and depth challenging individual players constantly to think and plan.

All at the same time.
I'd say that would take 25-30 minutes but otherwise, sure. Having combat 4+ times per 4 hour session (with miniatures on a battlemat) was normal in my last 2e game. In fact the slowest part of the combat was the DM grabbing the minis off the shelf if there were a lot of combatants.

pemerton

Legend
For me, and I'm guessing other people, participation is not a function of rolling the dice, interrupting someone else or even succeeding

<snip>

You can choose to goof off, go get a snack, talk to someone else at the table about your job, etc, or you can pay attention to who's turn it is, where the monsters are, what might come through the door, etc.
This is right. That's why I've been trying to find an adequate description of the sort of player to whom 4e and comparable games appeal - the phrase I've been using is "engaging the mechanics in order to influence the gameworld via the player's PC". What I've just tried to describe is what is missing from the sort of out-of-turn participation that you're describing, and that is characteristic of AD&D and similar systems. Players who are less like you, and who are looking for the sort of play I'm trying to describe, will therefore (and naturally) turn to a different sort of mechanical system.

I think this reflects broader changes in the way RPGs are being played. Classic AD&D assumes large parties, multiple PCs and/or henchmen/hirelings per player, playing an NPC when your PC is disabled, etc. 4e is desgined for a player who wants a different experience from this - they want their PC, their PC's story and their PC's abilities as mechnically expressed to be at the centre of their playing of the game.

Undoubtedly this is a different player looking for a different game. I still don't see the "ego-gamer", though.

Last edited:

pemerton

Legend
Celebrim, I don't think that everything that is hard is suffering and I don't believe that I asserted that, nor implied it (I certainly didn't intend to imply it).

Some hard work is suffering (eg I think that I would suffer if bound into physical slavery). Some work that is not hard nevertheless involves suffering, or at least tedium (in my own working life, marking papers is the main example). Some hard work is not suffering (eg mostly, for me, writing pieces for publication). Some training is tedious (when I used to practice my guitar more regularly, I found doing scales tedious). Some training is not tedious (I "trained" to be a philosopher by, among other things, reading Kant - this was probably worthwhile, certainly involved suffering, but was not tedious).

Some of these phenomena involve delayed gratification (eg practising scales). Others do not (eg for me, writing articles - I get payed to do this, which is gratifying, but most of the time there is also a complex pleasure in the writinig experience).

Some pleasures require tedious training to experience them. The pleasures of playing the guitar is, in my view, one of them. Others do not. And some pleasures require little or no training at all - I would include in this the pleasure of listening to music (unless you count the cultivation of taste as a type of training, but I'm not sure about this) and the pleasure of RPGing (this involves a bit of training, but not much).

You may or may not have had similar experiences to mine, as to what causes pleasure, what tedium, what suffering, and the relationship between them. But if your RPG play involves (i) a large deal of training, and/or (ii) a large deal of tedium, and/or (iii) a large degree of delayed gratification comparable to that which I experience when I get paid for marking papers, then your experience of RPG play is very different from mine. Perhaps it is. But I still don't see where the ego-gamer thing comes in. What is egoistic about looking for an RPG that doesn't require much training and doesn't involve tedium?

You posted upthread that AD&D was designed for wargamers by wargamers. I agree with this. I think it is obvious that 4e was designed for gamers with different preferences, in particular those who find certain elements of traditional wargaming, and/or the manifestation of these elements in RPG play, to be tedious (being deprived of the PC as a means for interacting with the gameworld is the most obvious). But what is the reason for describing such players as egoistic?

As to 4e and indie games, I assert the connection in part because Rob Heinsoo has expressly stated that it is there, in part because Mearls was a participant in the indie scene in earlier days, in part because Robin Laws has written 4e stuff which is partly cribbed from his HeroQuest work, and in part because I see resemblances.

The resemblances I see are in respect of (i) a more-or-less coherent set of mechanics that, when played as the box tells you to, more-or-less delivers the game experience the box promises, (ii) a game that relies quite heavily on fortune-in-the-middle mechanics (eg hit points, attack rolls, saving throws, skill challenges etc), (iii) a game that separates details of narration from mechanical details in a way that differs quite markedly from traditional D&D or mainstream simulationist games but looks quite a bit like HeroQuest or The Dying Earth (this is also related to (ii) above), (iv) a game with non-traditional conflict resolution mechanics in the form of skill challenges, and (v) a game that has a defined endgame via epic destinies and destiny quests. There may be others as well that I'm missing here.

4e has a tricky relationship to shared narration. The player gets to narrate power usage and effects (and this has caused some opposition from simulationist-minded gamers, eg in respect of Come and Get It, and martial encounter and daily powers more generally). The rules are ambiguous on who has narrative authority in a skill challenge, but I doubt that ours is the only group in which players exercise at least some authority in skill challenges (including by adopting directors stance for at least limited purposes). The players have a high degree of authority over the general tenor of the endgame, because they get to choose their epic destinies and the GM is obliged to deliver (this is a very big difference from the superficial resemblance to immortality in Menzer Basic D&D).

4e also has a tricky relationship to its gameworld. Played out of the box the world is tightly defined - their are gods, a history, specific monsters, etc. Furthermore, a GM who uses the monsters in accordance with the encounter-buidling guidelines will have a game in which the players, one way or another, experience the "story of D&D" - start with humoids, work up through drow/mindflayers/githyanki, finish with demon lords/archdevils. (There is some discussion of this by the designers in Wizards Presents: Worlds and Monsters.) This focused attention on the world and setting as part of the play experience fits with indie design tenets, but also a certain sort of traditional design as well (eg Pendragon, Cthulhu, RQ played in Glorantha). The paragon path and epic destiny rules push it a little more definitely in the indie direction, by obliging the player to make choices that will locate his/her PC in that world, but it's not quite Nicotine Girls or My Life with Master.

But for those players who don't play straight out of the box - making up their own world, reskinning monsters etc - then the game itself provides little more to the world than is given by the character build rules. This is pretty traditional.

The loot system, at least as printed, mixes indie and traditional sensibilities. Loot, according to the DMG, is based on pre-determined parcels and player wish lists. This suggests that it's an element of character build that emerges out of engaging in gameplay - indie! But it is also a reward for success in encounters - traditional! I wouldn't be surprised if this is an area of 4e which different groups approach quite differently in actual play, depending on what sort of play experience they are looking for. It's also one site of lurking incoherence.

I see two main mechanical differences between 4e and the quintessential indie game. The first is that the combat mechanics are hived off from the other conflict resolution mechanics. Perhaps unsurprisingly, this is also (in my view) the aspect of the design which puts the greatest pressure on coherence - at least at present, the rules (even post-DMG2) don't do enough to support the interaction of skill challenge mechanics and combat mechanics.

The second is that 4e has no mechanics that directly express PC passions or relationships. Rather, the expression of these is mechanically indirect, finding expression potentially through skill challenge mechanics (eg players calling on relationships to make checks easier), through quest rewards (eg players working with the GM to establish quests that fit their PCs' passions), through certain powers (eg narrating the warlord's Inspiring Word), and at the character build stage through various feats, powers, paragon paths and epic destinies. Still, it's interesting to note that these potential indirect expressions of these aspects of a PC are firmly located in the players' hands as much as, if not more than, the GM's. This is a marked contrast with traditional RPGs, especially D&D (where alignment is perhaps the most notorious example of a more traditional approach).

The main non-mechanical difference between 4e and the typical indie game is the publishing strategy. But the publicationo of player options doesn't necessarily undermine coherence, because it simply reinforces those aspects of the game - powers, epic destinies etc - which are the tools for players to use to drive the game in their preferred direction. The publication of modules and worldbooks, on the other hand, does threaten coherence, because these tend to shift authority away from the players and into the hands of either the GM or the sourcebook author. My response to this is to not use the modules as written, and rather to use them simply as sources of encounters and other interesting gameworld elements. I wouldn't be surprised if other groups have different responses, thereby changing quite considerably their play experience.

Would Forge-ites play 4e? I don't know. I've read threads on the Forge discussing fantasy RPG play, including D&D, so some of those posters might play it. I can imagine that a player who likes The Riddle of Steel, or Burning Wheel, might find something interesting in 4e. Or they might not. It's a bit hard to make these sorts of generalisations.

EDIT: Look at the sorts of complaints one hears about 4e from those who like AD&D: too much player entitlement (HeroQuest has more); too many mechanics and too little GM arbitration of the situation; too little resource management (HeroQuest has almost none); mechanics that guarantee a heroic story at the expense of verisimilitude; Come and Get It would be OK if it allowed a Will save; etc, etc.

These aren't complaints about a badly-designed traditional game (they're not, for example, the complaints one hears in a debate between players of traditional AD&D, traditional RQ and traditional RM). They're complaints about those features of the game which marks its difference from a traditional RPG.

Now look at the main complaint one hears about 4e from LostSoul, one of the posters on these boards who clearly has a lot of play experience with indie games: potential incoherence in 4e's relationship between challenge and player narrative entitlements. This is a complaint that (in my view) arises from some of the areas of lurking incoherence I've noted in 4e's design, where it straddles traditional and indie approaches.

I think the tenor of these complaints is consistent with my view that 4e is heavily influenced by non-traditional approaches to RPG design. They're complaints that I think need to be taken seriously by someone wanting to get the best out of 4e: don't play it if you want an AD&D experience, and be careful playing it for a more indie experience given the potential incoherences (in my own GMing I look for ways to try to avoid those incoherences - it's a bit too early to tell whether or not I've succeeded). But none of them suggest to me that 4e is a game designed for ego-gamers, and that this is the explanation for the potential unsatisfactoriness of its design.

Last edited:

Hussar

Legend
jmucchiello said:
Since that's how you define then you can't be wrong. But I disagree with your definition. Choosing between my at-will power vs my daily power will eventually lead to my rolling a d20 at this guy or that guy. Why is that a choice but swinging a sword at this guy or that guy is not a choice?

Hrm. If you really don't see the difference, I'm not sure anything I can bring up will change your mind, but, I'll give it a shot.

My fae touched warlock's at will either does straight up damage, or deals less damage and makes me invisible to that target for the round. Right there, that's a significant tactical choice. One might be better than the other depending on the situation. My Daily deals lots of damage and allows me to slide the target three squares, and I can then slide him every round after that until he makes a save with a minor action.

Thus, if there is any damaging terrain out there, the daily becomes a really good choice.

And this is just with a first level character.

Then again, if that's not tactical difference to you, I'm not sure we're ever going to agree.

Just for full disclosure, in the other 4e game I've been playing a warlord. Every single one of my abilities causes another player to do something. Either shift or attack. Possibly even a free move. If I get smacked with a debilitating effect, you're not only stripping away my actions, but stripping at least one extra action per round.

This is where I think Celebrim really misses the mark. He presumes that a given average round is the same between editions. You make an attack, hit or miss, and move on. 4e is most certainly not built this way. Every single round, and I mean every round, you should be seeing out of turn actions by other players. About the most boring class is something like a striker which generally only has a single, personal effect riding his abilities. Generally every other class is causing extra actions by other players.

I think Pemerton makes a good point of it. Older D&D presumed you'd be playing multiple characters, often at the same time. Unless the DM rolled attacks and damage for all your henchmen/hirelings, it's quite possible that you'd take multiple turns per round.

But, every subsequent supplement starting with the Unearthed Arcana has given more actions to individual players. Fighters gain multiple attacks at first level. Rangers get two weapons or bows which get two attacks per round. On and on.

BTW, jmucchiello, are you honestly claiming that you averaged 20+ combatants in the fight at the same time, AND your fights averaged 30 minutes (or so) AND you had the depth of tactical choices that you would get in 3e? Really?

pemerton

Legend
Hussar, I can't give you XP but your description of how 4e play works fits with my experience (including that strikers - or, at least, archery rangers - are boring). And for the same reasons as you give, I find that Celebrim's description of how the game plays - take your turn, hit or miss, move on - doesn't fit my experience.

Doug McCrae

Legend
Older D&D presumed you'd be playing multiple characters, often at the same time. Unless the DM rolled attacks and damage for all your henchmen/hirelings, it's quite possible that you'd take multiple turns per round.

But, every subsequent supplement starting with the Unearthed Arcana has given more actions to individual players. Fighters gain multiple attacks at first level. Rangers get two weapons or bows which get two attacks per round. On and on.
OD&D, and to a lesser extent 1e, really show their wargame roots.

In this account of a proto-D&D session which took place during the winter of 70/71, Greg Svenson describes a party composed of 30 men-at-arms. Only 6 of them were PCs, the rest NPCs.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
First, I don't know how to say this nicely, so I'll just say it, but you clearly don't have a good idea what the word 'tactics' means. You seem to be using it as a synonym for mechanical options, which it isn't. Tactics are techniques for using personel, weapons and terrain in combination to achieve a military advantage.

Secondly, the relationship between tactical options and speed of turns is almost nonexistant. To give an example, chess offers dozens of options on each turn but it plays only as slowly as desired. You can play chess as a frantic game of blazing fast action or as a slow deliberate game, but the amount of choices available to you at each step are exactly the same regardless of how much of the clock you consume and the actual mechanical resolution occurs just as fast in either case.

Thirdly, in many ways 1e was the most open edition tactically because you weren't under mechanical constraints. The game was written by wargamers and for wargamers and was designed to encourage good squad level tactics. If you went into a skilled DM's game on the assumption that it was just roll the dice and pass your turn, you were going to die. Hopefully, you out grew that sort of thing by the time you were in high school. I got shocked out of that viewpoint by the DM who tutored me into the craft when he ran me in an encounter with some gnoll archers who ambushed us in a wooded setting. Each archer acted as an individual skirmisher. Moving away when attacked, taking cover behind the boles of trees, fleeing and trying to evade when chased, and generally making a nuisance of themselves. You chase down one group and take them down, that just let the ones behind you set up a skirmish line you had to advance back toward. An encounter that would have been relatively trivial in a stand up fight, turned into vicious memorable (and to a young player not used to playing the game tactically) both frustrating and very educational experience. To be skilled at 1e, you had to manipulate the terrain. Cover was very important, as was denying the foe the chance to surround you or attack your unshielded side. You needed to lure attackers into chokepoints to keep from being overwhelmed. If you didn't have a chokepoint, you needed to create one - like dropping flaming oil or casting a spell. You had to protect the casters, because there was no defensive casting or 5' steps, and the casting time of spells tended to create significant vunerable intervals. You needed to concentrate force, outflank foes, and so forth. Plus, there was support for grappling and the like if you wanted (and many widely used alternatives to the DMG system), and in many cases you had to make choices between something like a longsword (good for dodgy foes) and a military pick (good for armored foes). There were plenty of tactics and plenty of choices.

And that's not even getting into the question of the DM inspired by S2.

Any edition where you have a fairly straight forward melee can play that fast. You just don't dither. Combats might only last 2-3 rounds, and in that case you've got about a minute per player turn. I expect to get a proposition in the first 6-10 seconds of a players turn. In 1e I built individual attack tables for each of my PC's vs. AC, so they just reported a number and I crossreferenced it vs. target AC. That took another what, 10-15 seconds counting rolling damage and maybe 5-10 seconds for a quick, "The orcs screams in pain/drops to the floor/blocks your attack with his shield/snarls at you and presses the attack." Seriously, average 1e modules had like 40-50 combats built into them. If you were spending 15 minutes on each round, getting through one would have probably taken you like 9-10 sessions. Sure, there were longer much more complicated fights that took longer, mostly because of the poor DM trying to run 24 trolls or something like that (or the uberfight that develops in WG4!), but even then you weren't waiting long for your turn because of the other players but because you were fighting such an enormous number of foes. Fights versus 30 or more foes weren't uncommon, and often individual fights would turn into running battles as allied foes (combat encounters) started linking up to help each other.

I was discussing tactics with a young gamer of about fourteen (he had a CCG background and was trying out a miniatures wargame, 25mm figs on an open tabletop) at a convention recently who had the same problem, in that if a game didn't have the tactics spelled out as a mechanical option he was confused by the game. That's one of the areas where I think 4E shows some strength, in spelling things out for players who might not be as quick to develop tactics on their own. It's very simple at almost any level of the game to be given a set of cards with your character and be able to thumb through them or lay them out and just point to the option that gives you to combination of damage and movement that suits a given situation. The "powers" system parcels tactics into focused and digestable units to avoid confusion during play.

Last edited:

Remove ads