Game Mechanics And Player Agency

The concept of player agency is a central pillar of all role-playing games. It is a balancing factor against the omnipotent, omniscient Game Master. For the purposes of this article, we will be focusing on the smaller-scale application of player agency and the role of game mechanics that negate or modify such agency.

The concept of player agency is a central pillar of all role-playing games. It is a balancing factor against the omnipotent, omniscient Game Master. For the purposes of this article, we will be focusing on the smaller-scale application of player agency and the role of game mechanics that negate or modify such agency.

From the very first iteration of Dungeons & Dragons in 1974, there have been mechanics in place in RPGs to force certain decisions upon players. A classic D&D example is the charm person spell, which allows the spell caster to bring someone under their control and command. (The 1983 D&D Basic Set even includes such a possible outcome in its very first tutorial adventure, in which your hapless Fighter may fall under the sway of Bargle and "decide" to let the outlaw magic-user go free even after murdering your friend Aleena!)

It didn't take long for other RPGs to start experimenting with even greater mechanical methods of limiting player agency. Call of Cthulhu (1981) introduced the Sanity mechanic as a way of tracking the player-characters' mental stress and degeneration in the face of mind-blasting horrors. But the Temporary Insanity rules also dictated that PCs exposed to particularly nasty shocks were no longer necessarily in control of their own actions. The current edition of the game even gives the Call of Cthulhu GM carte blanche to dictate the hapless investigator's fate, having the PC come to their senses hours later having been robbed, beaten, or even institutionalized!

King Arthur Pendragon debuted in 1985 featuring even more radical behavioral mechanics. The game's system of Traits and Passions perfectly mirrors the Arthurian tales, in which normally sensible and virtuous knights and ladies with everything to lose risk it all in the name of love, hatred, vengeance, or petty jealousy. So too are the player-knights of the game driven to foolhardy heroism or destructive madness, quite often against the players' wishes. Indeed, suffering a bout of madness in Pendragon is enough to put a player-knight out of the game sometimes for (quite literally) many game-years on end…and if the player-knight does return, they are apt to have undergone significant trauma reflected in altered statistics.

The legacies of Call of Cthulhu and King Arthur Pendragon have influenced numerous other game designs down to this day, and although the charm person spell is not nearly as all-powerful as it was when first introduced in 1974 ("If the spell is successful it will cause the charmed entity to come completely under the influence of the Magic-User until such time as the 'charm' is dispelled[.]"), it and many other mind-affecting spells and items continue to bedevil D&D adventurers of all types.

Infringing on player agency calls for great care in any circumstance. As alluded to at the top of this article, GMs already have so much power in the game, that to appear to take any away from the players is bound to rankle. This is likely why games developed mechanical means to allow GMs to do so in order to make for a more interesting story without appearing biased or arbitrary. Most players, after all, would refuse to voluntarily submit to the will of an evil wizard, to faint or flee screaming in the presence of cosmic horror, or to attack an ally or lover in a blind rage. Yet these moments are often the most memorable of a campaign, and they are facilitated by behavioral mechanics.

What do you think? What's your personal "red line" for behavioral mechanics? Do behavioral mechanics have any place in RPGs, and if so, to what extent? Most crucially: do they enhance narrative or detract from it?

contributed by David Larkins

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
King Arthur Pendragon debuted in 1985 featuring even more radical behavioral mechanics. The game's system of Traits and Passions perfectly mirrors the Arthurian tales, in which normally sensible and virtuous knights and ladies with everything to lose risk it all in the name of love, hatred, vengeance, or petty jealousy. So too are the player-knights of the game driven to foolhardy heroism or destructive madness, quite often against the players' wishes. Indeed, suffering a bout of madness in Pendragon is enough to put a player-knight out of the game sometimes for (quite literally) many game-years on end…and if the player-knight does return, they are apt to have undergone significant trauma reflected in altered statistics. of all types.

Infringing on player agency calls for great care in any circumstance. As alluded to at the top of this article, GMs already have so much power in the game, that to appear to take any away from the players is bound to rankle. This is likely why games developed mechanical means to allow GMs to do so in order to make for a more interesting story without appearing biased or arbitrary. Most players, after all, would refuse to voluntarily submit to the will of an evil wizard, to faint or flee screaming in the presence of cosmic horror, or to attack an ally or lover in a blind rage. Yet these moments are often the most memorable of a campaign, and they are facilitated by behavioral mechanics.

What do you think? What's your personal "red line" for behavioral mechanics? Do behavioral mechanics have any place in RPGs, and if so, to what extent? Most crucially: do they enhance narrative or detract from it?

I got to thinking along these lines when I saw the Pathfinder 2 update regarding what PCs can and can't do in terms of skills. But my thoughts went more toward GM agency...

Behavioral mechanics belong in RPGs just as much as somatic mechanics do. There's no practical difference between "your character can't pick up the boulder because it's too heavy," and "your character can't pick up the boulder because his mind won't let him." Where you need to be careful is with player expectations. If a player starts the campaign thinking "I can do whatever my character is physically capable of," then the mental example will result in some butt hurt. If a player starts the campaign thinking "my character can be limited in different ways in order to increase the challenge of the game," then neither limit looks worse than the other.

My take on Traits and Passions is Goals and Flaws. Like Fate's aspects, they're player-defined, so the player takes some responsibility when the goals or flaws work for or against him. Here's the "charm" spell that results:

Telepathy 2
Range: close
Target: single
D/M: +2/yes
Effect: the target gains a goal or flaw of your choice. This goal or flaw exists only in the target's mind.
Half: (M) target gains +4 on the remaining defense actions.

G

Guest 6801328

The obvious line is magic. There's a difference between 'this wizard casts a spell on you, so now you're doing what he tells you,' and 'this guy made a very convincing argument, so now you want to help him'; the first prevents the player from expressing their free will in what they want to do, but the second one actually changes what their free will is supposed to be in the first place.

Whenever a PC does something that they wouldn't normally do, everyone at the table - including the GM, and especially the player - should recognize that it's something they wouldn't normally do, so they know for a fact that something shady is going on. You should never have a case where the GM effectively says, 'actually you would normally do that in this situation, because I know your character better than you do'.

Exactly this.

I don't mind if my TOR character has a Bout of Madness, or my D&D character gets Charmed, or my CoC character goes insane. I don't think of that as "loss of player agency" any more than being unconscious or dead is.

What I do mind...very much...is, in the absence of those sorts of conditions, the DM (or even another player) telling me what my character thinks or feels. "A wood elf wouldn't do that" or "You would definitely not think of using fire on these creatures that keep healing" or "I'll use Persuade to convince your character that mine is right" or "You find Jeff's character so inspiring that you get your HP back."

(Ha! I managed to turn this thread into another one about both Metagaming and Warlords in a single sentence!)

Barantor

Explorer
I have no red line when it comes to this since it is set with each individual game. Some players don't mind it when the game throws things at them and they have to pick up after the outcomes, others want complete control of all things that can even remotely affect their control of their character.

There are games that do both in the extreme, and there are tons of games that come somewhere in between. So long as the 'line' is set before the game begins then that's where it is, to me as a GM I'll do whatever the players want as it's fun to mess around with things.

There have been times when players have lost control, dealt with the fallout of it and then enjoyed the heck out if it (statements like: "Wow, I'd never have done that or expected that!"), just depends on the group.

Koloth

First Post
Don't remember ever hearing the term 'Player Agency' before. Things you learn after 40+ years of RPG playing.

I have found that playing a character that is under some other entity's control can be an interesting role play opportunity. Especially if the other players don't know that my character is not his/her normal self. Can be a interesting game seeing how long the character can carry out the controlling instructions before being found out. Or depending on level of control, finding a way to let the other party members know something isn't right while still complying with the instructions.

GMs that try to assume control or limit player/character actions too often should remember that while the game may be under GM control, the players have the final say on whether or not their butts stay seated at that table.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Don't remember ever hearing the term 'Player Agency' before. Things you learn after 40+ years of RPG playing.
You obviously haven't been reading the now-huge "what is worldbuilding for" thread, then, as player agency (in one definition or another) has been at the core of that discussion right from the start.

Hussar

Legend
/snip

I have a feeling I'm going to be an "outlier"...again...of what the majority of Players and GM's think about this whole thing. *shrug* It's ok. I'm use to it. :)

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Thankfully so, IMNSHO. I'm very much against the whole "I'm the DM, therefore what I say goes" approach to RPG's. Both as a DM and as a player. But, mostly I dislike this sort of thing because all it does is piss people off. It's no fun.

It's kind of like labyrinths in RPG's. Fantastic idea that never works.

Thread randomly reminds me of a book in which the characters are players in a prototype download-your-brain-style-VR-RPG. During the introduction someone asks if the computer couldn't just take away their free will and make them do something. The programmer replies, well, it could in theory, but it wouldn't, because that wouldn't be appropriate for the game setting. Which immediately made me wonder if the guy had never heard of charm effects. Foreshadowing, of course.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I still don't like the use of the term "agency" for RPGs. It's not a term you can tell to a stranger and expect them to know what you mean. It's unnecessary jargon.

mcosgrave

Explorer

I have found that playing a character that is under some other entity's control can be an interesting role play opportunity. Especially if the other players don't know that my character is not his/her normal self. Can be a interesting game seeing how long the character can carry out the controlling instructions before being found out. Or depending on level of control, finding a way to let the other party members know something isn't right while still complying with the instructions.

GMs that try to assume control or limit player/character actions too often should remember that while the game may be under GM control, the players have the final say on whether or not their butts stay seated at that table.

There is an interesting version of this in ‘Eye Spy’ in series 1 of Agents of Shield’ involving control through a cybernetic eye with a kill switch for disobedience- see https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agents_of_S.H.I.E.L.D._(season_1)#ep4

I imagine it could be adapted for a high magic setting

I still don't like the use of the term "agency" for RPGs. It's not a term you can tell to a stranger and expect them to know what you mean. It's unnecessary jargon.
Even if you know about it, you might not understand what someone means by it.

Coming into this thread, I was caught off-guard by the limited scope of the discussion. There's nothing in here about extra-character player agency, or if/when a PC dies.

That being said, while I agree that it is jargon, I'm not sure what other words you would use to address the topic.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads