Game Mechanics And Player Agency

The concept of player agency is a central pillar of all role-playing games. It is a balancing factor against the omnipotent, omniscient Game Master. For the purposes of this article, we will be focusing on the smaller-scale application of player agency and the role of game mechanics that negate or modify such agency.

The concept of player agency is a central pillar of all role-playing games. It is a balancing factor against the omnipotent, omniscient Game Master. For the purposes of this article, we will be focusing on the smaller-scale application of player agency and the role of game mechanics that negate or modify such agency.

From the very first iteration of Dungeons & Dragons in 1974, there have been mechanics in place in RPGs to force certain decisions upon players. A classic D&D example is the charm person spell, which allows the spell caster to bring someone under their control and command. (The 1983 D&D Basic Set even includes such a possible outcome in its very first tutorial adventure, in which your hapless Fighter may fall under the sway of Bargle and "decide" to let the outlaw magic-user go free even after murdering your friend Aleena!)

It didn't take long for other RPGs to start experimenting with even greater mechanical methods of limiting player agency. Call of Cthulhu (1981) introduced the Sanity mechanic as a way of tracking the player-characters' mental stress and degeneration in the face of mind-blasting horrors. But the Temporary Insanity rules also dictated that PCs exposed to particularly nasty shocks were no longer necessarily in control of their own actions. The current edition of the game even gives the Call of Cthulhu GM carte blanche to dictate the hapless investigator's fate, having the PC come to their senses hours later having been robbed, beaten, or even institutionalized!

King Arthur Pendragon debuted in 1985 featuring even more radical behavioral mechanics. The game's system of Traits and Passions perfectly mirrors the Arthurian tales, in which normally sensible and virtuous knights and ladies with everything to lose risk it all in the name of love, hatred, vengeance, or petty jealousy. So too are the player-knights of the game driven to foolhardy heroism or destructive madness, quite often against the players' wishes. Indeed, suffering a bout of madness in Pendragon is enough to put a player-knight out of the game sometimes for (quite literally) many game-years on end…and if the player-knight does return, they are apt to have undergone significant trauma reflected in altered statistics.

The legacies of Call of Cthulhu and King Arthur Pendragon have influenced numerous other game designs down to this day, and although the charm person spell is not nearly as all-powerful as it was when first introduced in 1974 ("If the spell is successful it will cause the charmed entity to come completely under the influence of the Magic-User until such time as the 'charm' is dispelled[.]"), it and many other mind-affecting spells and items continue to bedevil D&D adventurers of all types.

Infringing on player agency calls for great care in any circumstance. As alluded to at the top of this article, GMs already have so much power in the game, that to appear to take any away from the players is bound to rankle. This is likely why games developed mechanical means to allow GMs to do so in order to make for a more interesting story without appearing biased or arbitrary. Most players, after all, would refuse to voluntarily submit to the will of an evil wizard, to faint or flee screaming in the presence of cosmic horror, or to attack an ally or lover in a blind rage. Yet these moments are often the most memorable of a campaign, and they are facilitated by behavioral mechanics.

What do you think? What's your personal "red line" for behavioral mechanics? Do behavioral mechanics have any place in RPGs, and if so, to what extent? Most crucially: do they enhance narrative or detract from it?

contributed by David Larkins

Exactly this.

I don't mind if my TOR character has a Bout of Madness, or my D&D character gets Charmed, or my CoC character goes insane. I don't think of that as "loss of player agency" any more than being unconscious or dead is.

What I do mind...very much...is, in the absence of those sorts of conditions, the DM (or even another player) telling me what my character thinks or feels. "A wood elf wouldn't do that" or "You would definitely not think of using fire on these creatures that keep healing" or "I'll use Persuade to convince your character that mine is right" or "You find Jeff's character so inspiring that you get your HP back."

(Ha! I managed to turn this thread into another one about both Metagaming and Warlords in a single sentence!)

It's actually more metagaming to ignore the NPC persuasion check and just do whatever you decide regardless. The social check is bridging the gap between a DM that is less/more eloquent than the NPC, your character (who is actually there), and you, who are several layers removed from the emotion and only getting the Cliff's notes version of life and speeches. I'm a firm believer that any game that bothers to have rules for social interactions needs to be able to enforce them.

To me, it's ridiculous to only accept having your character's mind changed by magic. People are routinely convinced to do things against their better interest, react emotionally, etc. Basically another BS caster supremacy argument and allowing only magical characters really have narrative control in games.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
I have never had an NPC make a social interaction skill check against the PC. I'll t ell them what he says and if they are moved by it they are moved by it. Then again I'd get rid of the skill system in the first place.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Then again I'd get rid of the skill system in the first place.
Physical skills (climb, jump, hide, etc.) are more or less liveable-withable if done right. Any system that tries to enforce PC social skills, however, is in my view counterintuitive to actual in-character role-playing.

I have never had an NPC make a social interaction skill check against the PC. I'll t ell them what he says and if they are moved by it they are moved by it. Then again I'd get rid of the skill system in the first place.

I don't get that. We don't determine whether or not someone is stabbed by trying to hit the player with a stick or just let people say "nah, my character wouldn't die" . The player isn't the character. If someone is willing to accept if they get charmed by failing a save, they should also accept if they're tricked by failing an insight check against a deception check.

There's a spectrum that this can take place on, so a player might get to silo off several things integral to the character that can't be acted upon, or social consequences other than simply being forced to comply. I think part of the pushback from players is that too often there's only 1-2 rolls for a social encounter, whereas we don't have combat decided by a single dice roll. There should be multiple checks with various outcomes other than simply pass/fail.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Folks are forgetting the most common mechanic, by this description, for short-circuiting player agency since the original D&D.

Hit points.

Incredibly common mechanic that can cause the player to sit out for short (knocked unconscious) to extended (death) periods. Depending on how things go, you might not even be back by the end of the session and start the next session out - resurrection magic may not be close at hand or may involve an overnight rest to prepare.

Yet somehow, it's still in use and commonly accepted.

I think it's because the definition of loss of player agency given here is incomplete. Accepting that there is risk and chance of failure IS player agency. We accept it by playing a game where our characters can die or worse. You can only remove player agency by doing things to them that they don't agree to.

And that is something you can know when you see it. If your PC is mind controlled by the illithid while fighting them, that's an accepted risk and part of the game that the player has accepted, so it's not impacting their agency. On the other hand if your PC is suddenly stopped by a omnipotent and unforeseen force that isn't part of the game but instead is the DM heavyhandedly protecting a precious plot point or favored NPC - that's a different story.

So when you think about player agency, think about what the player has freely agreed to, even if it can be detrimental to their character. It's only when it's something the /player/ hasn't signed on for that you can really impact it.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
I don't get that. We don't determine whether or not someone is stabbed by trying to hit the player with a stick or just let people say "nah, my character wouldn't die" . The player isn't the character. If someone is willing to accept if they get charmed by failing a save, they should also accept if they're tricked by failing an insight check against a deception check.

There's a spectrum that this can take place on, so a player might get to silo off several things integral to the character that can't be acted upon, or social consequences other than simply being forced to comply. I think part of the pushback from players is that too often there's only 1-2 rolls for a social encounter, whereas we don't have combat decided by a single dice roll. There should be multiple checks with various outcomes other than simply pass/fail.

You and I are on opposite ends of the spectrum. Social situations should be largely be decided by DM and player interaction IMO. In D&D I'd give a high CHA player more leeway when I'm deciding how a NPC reacts to what the player just told me though. I'd prefer to put as much of the challenge on the player as I can in those situations rather than rolling dice to beat a number. Different strokes and all that.

I think it's because the definition of loss of player agency given here is incomplete. Accepting that there is risk and chance of failure IS player agency. We accept it by playing a game where our characters can die or worse. You can only remove player agency by doing things to them that they don't agree to.
The only agency which a player can expect is that the player decides how their character interprets information, and what they want to do about that information. Stunning, death, and domination do not affect that in any way; you are still free to make decisions on behalf of your character, even though you have no ability to act on those decisions.

But that gets back into the ambiguity of the term, though. You're talking about the agency of the player, at the table, to affect the flow of the game. This thread is just about the agency of the player to effectively role-play their character - to make decisions for their character, regardless of their ability to act on those decisions.

You and I are on opposite ends of the spectrum. Social situations should be largely be decided by DM and player interaction IMO. In D&D I'd give a high CHA player more leeway when I'm deciding how a NPC reacts to what the player just told me though. I'd prefer to put as much of the challenge on the player as I can in those situations rather than rolling dice to beat a number. Different strokes and all that.

Well, it isnt like I don't give speeches or my players dont talk in character. What they say impacts the DC of the roll, grants (dis)advantage, or results in auto success/failure. I mainly think if there are rules for task resolution, they should apply to players as well, otherwise free form all of it.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Well, it isnt like I don't give speeches or my players dont talk in character. What they say impacts the DC of the roll, grants (dis)advantage, or results in auto success/failure. I mainly think if there are rules for task resolution, they should apply to players as well, otherwise free form all of it.

Well I did say I wanted to get rid of the skill system all together.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads