Game Mechanics And Player Agency

The concept of player agency is a central pillar of all role-playing games. It is a balancing factor against the omnipotent, omniscient Game Master. For the purposes of this article, we will be focusing on the smaller-scale application of player agency and the role of game mechanics that negate or modify such agency.

The concept of player agency is a central pillar of all role-playing games. It is a balancing factor against the omnipotent, omniscient Game Master. For the purposes of this article, we will be focusing on the smaller-scale application of player agency and the role of game mechanics that negate or modify such agency.

From the very first iteration of Dungeons & Dragons in 1974, there have been mechanics in place in RPGs to force certain decisions upon players. A classic D&D example is the charm person spell, which allows the spell caster to bring someone under their control and command. (The 1983 D&D Basic Set even includes such a possible outcome in its very first tutorial adventure, in which your hapless Fighter may fall under the sway of Bargle and "decide" to let the outlaw magic-user go free even after murdering your friend Aleena!)

It didn't take long for other RPGs to start experimenting with even greater mechanical methods of limiting player agency. Call of Cthulhu (1981) introduced the Sanity mechanic as a way of tracking the player-characters' mental stress and degeneration in the face of mind-blasting horrors. But the Temporary Insanity rules also dictated that PCs exposed to particularly nasty shocks were no longer necessarily in control of their own actions. The current edition of the game even gives the Call of Cthulhu GM carte blanche to dictate the hapless investigator's fate, having the PC come to their senses hours later having been robbed, beaten, or even institutionalized!

King Arthur Pendragon debuted in 1985 featuring even more radical behavioral mechanics. The game's system of Traits and Passions perfectly mirrors the Arthurian tales, in which normally sensible and virtuous knights and ladies with everything to lose risk it all in the name of love, hatred, vengeance, or petty jealousy. So too are the player-knights of the game driven to foolhardy heroism or destructive madness, quite often against the players' wishes. Indeed, suffering a bout of madness in Pendragon is enough to put a player-knight out of the game sometimes for (quite literally) many game-years on end…and if the player-knight does return, they are apt to have undergone significant trauma reflected in altered statistics.

The legacies of Call of Cthulhu and King Arthur Pendragon have influenced numerous other game designs down to this day, and although the charm person spell is not nearly as all-powerful as it was when first introduced in 1974 ("If the spell is successful it will cause the charmed entity to come completely under the influence of the Magic-User until such time as the 'charm' is dispelled[.]"), it and many other mind-affecting spells and items continue to bedevil D&D adventurers of all types.

Infringing on player agency calls for great care in any circumstance. As alluded to at the top of this article, GMs already have so much power in the game, that to appear to take any away from the players is bound to rankle. This is likely why games developed mechanical means to allow GMs to do so in order to make for a more interesting story without appearing biased or arbitrary. Most players, after all, would refuse to voluntarily submit to the will of an evil wizard, to faint or flee screaming in the presence of cosmic horror, or to attack an ally or lover in a blind rage. Yet these moments are often the most memorable of a campaign, and they are facilitated by behavioral mechanics.

What do you think? What's your personal "red line" for behavioral mechanics? Do behavioral mechanics have any place in RPGs, and if so, to what extent? Most crucially: do they enhance narrative or detract from it?

contributed by David Larkins

Doug McCrae

Legend
What I do mind...very much...is, in the absence of those sorts of conditions, the DM (or even another player) telling me what my character thinks or feels. "A wood elf wouldn't do that" or "You would definitely not think of using fire on these creatures that keep healing" or "I'll use Persuade to convince your character that mine is right" or "You find Jeff's character so inspiring that you get your HP back."
Isn't that inherent in the Charisma stat? It's a measure of what other characters think of you. If one considers every object in the game world to follow the same rules then PCs must be equally persuadable as NPCs.

Doug McCrae

Legend
Do incentives count? Gygaxian D&D's xp for gold and magic items, coupled with the level track, acts as a very powerful driver of PC behaviour.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
The only agency which a player can expect is that the player decides how their character interprets information, and what they want to do about that information. Stunning, death, and domination do not affect that in any way; you are still free to make decisions on behalf of your character, even though you have no ability to act on those decisions.

But that gets back into the ambiguity of the term, though. You're talking about the agency of the player, at the table, to affect the flow of the game. This thread is just about the agency of the player to effectively role-play their character - to make decisions for their character, regardless of their ability to act on those decisions.

But many of the posters are talking about the biggest impact to player agency is being made to sit out and being unable to control their character. That's the "red line" that gets it unacceptable.

Yet it is trivially acceptable in every game of D&D I've ever played. I've never seen a player upset because there's the possibility of getting knocked out.

If what a number of posters are talking about counts, then so do HP. I'm not arguing that HP should be - I was using it as an example that the definition wasn't complete and things that many are arguing about as "too far" are actually common.

But many of the posters are talking about the biggest impact to player agency is being made to sit out and being unable to control their character. That's the "red line" that gets it unacceptable.
I guess some posters are complaining about being sidelined, since this thread is growing in a lot of directions at once; for those players, it would make sense that being killed is the same category of bad as being charmed.

For players looking at this from an RP perspective, rather than a game perspective, the expectation is simply that we maintain the ability to make decisions as our characters would. For this group of players, there's a huge difference between being non-magically charmed and being killed, because the former violates the core premise of role-playing while the latter is simply a result of external factors that we never assumed we had any control over.

pming

Legend
Hiya!

...and this is yet another reason why I prefer 1e/Hackmaster. Let me...'sum up'. An NPC with a high charisma talks to a PC. The NPC has the "Oration" skill and makes a really good roll. I tell the Player "His speech is very convincing...he got a 04 on his Oration check!...and virtually everyone in the room is starting to cheer and raise their hand in solidarity with him. What do you do?"...the player should take that info into account and roleplay his character to the best of his ability. The Player knows his character better than me, the GM, sure...but if the player then decides his PC is unswayed and treats the speech as "just some clown trying to get people on his side", that falls into the "not-good RP'ing" side of things. The Player is ignoring everything that just happened in that RP'ing scene.

Why do I prefer 1e/HM4? Because each Player gets a 'rating' when it comes to getting XP at the end of the day. Players are rated from 1 to 5; "Excellent" down to "Deplorable", after each "Adventure". When the PC has enough XP to make it to next level, his total ratings are averaged. This gives a numerical value which is used to see how many weeks/days it takes for that PC to train/learn/advance to his new level.

So, a Player who consistently RP's "badly" is going to get a higher number which means it's going to take him longer and more money to officially rise to his new level. Ignoring logical RP'ing type situations WILL result in a worse overal average. It is in the best interest of the player to RP his character appropriately; simply ignoring stuff you don't like is going to cost you in the end.

Of course, there will be folks on this thread who chortle and guffaw at the idea of such archaic rules of "level advancement training", and that's ok. But from where I sit, a player who weakens a game session because they don't want to be "influenced by an NPC when they really should have been" is FAR less attractive as a player than one who makes decisions for his PC based on the "if I was this character and I was there...". Even if those decisions are detrimental (sometimes DEADLY) to his PC. I applaud a game system that has rules that pay attention to this sort of thing. Viva la Hackmaster! :D

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
The main thing is to warn everyone ahead of time that the game isn't always butterflies and unicorns. From the main introduction to our homebrew version of 1e:

Victoria Rules said:
But it's not all good times; the game also needs an edge of risk and danger, and can and must in its ebb and flow sometimes be rather cruel to its characters and – by extension – players; and players are well warned of this on entering the game. It was a player, in fact, that introduced the rest of us to a very apt philosophy for the game: "Dungeons without mortality are dungeons without life."

And no, I was not the player who authored that quote; I was the DM at the time it was said 30-ish years ago - by a player who plays with us still.

Lanefan

Hussar

Legend
Just a point about dying.

That, generally, is acceptable because it's a process. It's not easy for your character to flat out die in later era D&D (although MUCH easier in 1e). And, again, while you are riding the pines until your character comes back, it's still YOUR character. No one is making you do stuff that you don't want to do. Or, more frustratingly, no one is telling you, no, you cannot do that because I'm the DM and I say you cannot do that.

Look at the reactions to "The orc hits you and you die" vs "No, your character wouldn't do that because it contradicts your alignment."

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I guess some posters are complaining about being sidelined, since this thread is growing in a lot of directions at once; for those players, it would make sense that being killed is the same category of bad as being charmed.

And this was my point - that the overly broad definiton of player agency being used / some posters focused on included getting knocked unconscious or killed as loss of player agency.

My Call of Cthulu game mechanics knowledge isn't all that great, but Sanity hold much the same position in that game as an acknowledged and integral risk, but being called out as a loss of player agency is just as ludicrous as calling out hit points as a loss of player agency.

For players looking at this from an RP perspective, rather than a game perspective, the expectation is simply that we maintain the ability to make decisions as our characters would. For this group of players, there's a huge difference between being non-magically charmed and being killed, because the former violates the core premise of role-playing while the latter is simply a result of external factors that we never assumed we had any control over.

I think we're on the same page, just approaching from opposite sides - the loss of player agency needs to be looked at from the RP perspective, not an overly-broad category that lumps in the normal and expected risks of play.

jasper

Rotten DM
This more of absolute player control vs rules mechanics causing pc compulsion. Which a lot of players of RPGS will not accept. I find it funny, people are okay with going to jail in Monopoly. Okay when their little brothers Yells Sorry and sends you back to start. But totally freak out and low ball things when they set back and have to deal with a rules compulsion.
Ex. Monk player who always novas the boss fight. Sudden pulls out his pillow attacks when charm and made to subdue his party.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads