Game Mechanics And Player Agency

The concept of player agency is a central pillar of all role-playing games. It is a balancing factor against the omnipotent, omniscient Game Master. For the purposes of this article, we will be focusing on the smaller-scale application of player agency and the role of game mechanics that negate or modify such agency.

The concept of player agency is a central pillar of all role-playing games. It is a balancing factor against the omnipotent, omniscient Game Master. For the purposes of this article, we will be focusing on the smaller-scale application of player agency and the role of game mechanics that negate or modify such agency.

From the very first iteration of Dungeons & Dragons in 1974, there have been mechanics in place in RPGs to force certain decisions upon players. A classic D&D example is the charm person spell, which allows the spell caster to bring someone under their control and command. (The 1983 D&D Basic Set even includes such a possible outcome in its very first tutorial adventure, in which your hapless Fighter may fall under the sway of Bargle and "decide" to let the outlaw magic-user go free even after murdering your friend Aleena!)

It didn't take long for other RPGs to start experimenting with even greater mechanical methods of limiting player agency. Call of Cthulhu (1981) introduced the Sanity mechanic as a way of tracking the player-characters' mental stress and degeneration in the face of mind-blasting horrors. But the Temporary Insanity rules also dictated that PCs exposed to particularly nasty shocks were no longer necessarily in control of their own actions. The current edition of the game even gives the Call of Cthulhu GM carte blanche to dictate the hapless investigator's fate, having the PC come to their senses hours later having been robbed, beaten, or even institutionalized!

King Arthur Pendragon debuted in 1985 featuring even more radical behavioral mechanics. The game's system of Traits and Passions perfectly mirrors the Arthurian tales, in which normally sensible and virtuous knights and ladies with everything to lose risk it all in the name of love, hatred, vengeance, or petty jealousy. So too are the player-knights of the game driven to foolhardy heroism or destructive madness, quite often against the players' wishes. Indeed, suffering a bout of madness in Pendragon is enough to put a player-knight out of the game sometimes for (quite literally) many game-years on end…and if the player-knight does return, they are apt to have undergone significant trauma reflected in altered statistics.

The legacies of Call of Cthulhu and King Arthur Pendragon have influenced numerous other game designs down to this day, and although the charm person spell is not nearly as all-powerful as it was when first introduced in 1974 ("If the spell is successful it will cause the charmed entity to come completely under the influence of the Magic-User until such time as the 'charm' is dispelled[.]"), it and many other mind-affecting spells and items continue to bedevil D&D adventurers of all types.

Infringing on player agency calls for great care in any circumstance. As alluded to at the top of this article, GMs already have so much power in the game, that to appear to take any away from the players is bound to rankle. This is likely why games developed mechanical means to allow GMs to do so in order to make for a more interesting story without appearing biased or arbitrary. Most players, after all, would refuse to voluntarily submit to the will of an evil wizard, to faint or flee screaming in the presence of cosmic horror, or to attack an ally or lover in a blind rage. Yet these moments are often the most memorable of a campaign, and they are facilitated by behavioral mechanics.

What do you think? What's your personal "red line" for behavioral mechanics? Do behavioral mechanics have any place in RPGs, and if so, to what extent? Most crucially: do they enhance narrative or detract from it?

contributed by David Larkins

pming

Legend
Hiya!

Hi ya, Paul

Could you think of another reason why a person might not like the thought of being forced to do something against their will other then being a self entitled whiny brat? Or is it just whiny brats all the way down.

Nope. Whiny brats all the way.

;)

Just kidding! In my posts I wasn't saying a player is "forced" to react in a RP appropriate way. What I was saying was that reacting in an RP appropriate way is just a more fulfilling way of playing an RPG. I hesitate to say "better way", because, as I also said, different folks play the game with different goals/desires. That's cool. For me and my group, trying to see things from the PC's perspective...regardless of the game mechanical outcome...is "the most fun" for us.

I guess I was being a bit flippant with the whole "whiny brat" thing. :( I should have taken a two or five minute break, then re-read my post to see if anything was coming across to harshly or judgmental. My bad. :( Thanks for calling me out on it. I forgot I even wrote that! Live and learn...live and learn.

^_^

Paul L. Ming

delericho

Legend
I hope I don't need to explain why it's bad if certain abilities never work on PCs because they are PCs.

I didn't say they never worked. But in this case they work* (or not) at the discretion of the player.

Simply by virtue of being player characters, they are inherently different from almost all other characters in the game. It therefore shouldn't be a surprise that some things apply to them differently.

* IMC, IMO, and YMMV, of course.

hawkeyefan

Legend
I think it’s usually best to put such social interaction mechanics in the hands of the players.

So it’s not a high Diplomacy roll by an NPC that affects the PC, but an Insight roll by the PC to pick up on the NPCs BS. This leaves the ultimate choice to believe or not up to the player. Even if his roll does nothing to help and the NPC seems convincing as can be, the player can still have his character say “I don’t care what this guy says, I don’t believe him.”

Whatever system you use and whatever skill or ability check may be relevant, have the player make the roll and then describe the reault based on that, and then let the player decide how the PC reacts.

Doing it the other way around...having the NPCs roll affect the PC just seems too much like a reduction in agency, for lack of a better term. It removes the ability for the player to ultimately decide how his character will behave.

I agree with what you say here, but to me this violates the Diplomacy rule in that for me PCs and NPCs are equal...and thus rules must apply to them equally. So, if a PC can choose to ignore an excellent Diplomacy roll then so should an NPC be able to, which quickly leads to asking why not do the sensible thing and just chuck Diplomacy entirely.

I think you might be looking at this the wrong way. The player is not ignoring the Diplomacy check. He is choosing for himself how his character reacts to the situation. And in that respect npc's and players are no different. If a player rolls high on their intimidate, it may scare an npc away, or it may provoke them into a fight, at the DM's discretion.

And this is why I've come to loathe pre-memorization of spells...if you get unlucky and pick the wrong one(s) you're screwed for the day.

In my opinion this is more a matter of properly preparing for the unknown, by picking a wide array of spells. Its one of the things I actually find compelling about playing a spellcaster. If your spell selection is so bad that you are screwed for the entire day, then you probably focused too much on one possible situation, which you should never do.

delericho

Legend
And in that respect npc's and players are no different. If a player rolls high on their intimidate, it may scare an npc away, or it may provoke them into a fight, at the DM's discretion.

That's a good point! Certainly, when adjudicating Persuasion, I'll apply a higher DC for harder tasks - a corrupt guard is easier to bribe than an honest one, for instance. And some things simply cannot be achieved using mundane persuasion (it's nigh-impossible to persuade someone to knowingly betray their nearest and dearest, for instance).

(it's nigh-impossible to persuade someone to knowingly betray their nearest and dearest, for instance).

Except, in the really real world, people are convinced to act against their own best interests, or those of their loved ones all the time (e.g. all the people at Jonestown who drank that poisoned kool-aid).

delericho

Legend
Many (not all) of the people at Jonestown knew that the Kool-Aid was poisoned. There is also the more recent case of the Massachusetts woman recently convicted of convincing her boyfriend to kill himself, among innumerable other examples.

And that would be why I also said nigh-impossible. The reason those incidents are famous is because they're extremely rare.

They're also not normal cases - one the culmination of long-term cult indoctrination, and the other a case where the victim was already suicidal.

They're only extremely rare because they are the most extreme cases of such action. Look at all of the millions of people who smoke, or overeat, or spend too much money on their romantic partners. These are all instances of people acting against their own best interests, usually at the urging of someone else. It is incredibly common.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads