• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Game of Thrones 10-minute preview Dec 2010

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
Bah. Ten year long winters with snow a hundred feet deep? Where'd all those obviously decades old forests come from? And the people would be living like eskimos during that time. No interrior homesteads, because there's nothing there to eat!

Fast Learner

First Post
Bah. Ten year long winters with snow a hundred feet deep? Where'd all those obviously decades old forests come from? And the people would be living like eskimos during that time. No interrior homesteads, because there's nothing there to eat!

Yeah, it's a shame that it's a universe with magic and dragons and all manner of crazy stuff but the trees have to be exactly like our trees, no ability to hibernate in the cold or anything else.

It's a shame, too, that said magic and physics that are clearly not identical to ours still make it impossible to store food for a decade.

Makes you wonder why the author would do that.

catsclaw227

First Post
The problem is that they're also expensive. That's why Rome was cancelled, IIRC; the ratings were okay, but it was just so expensive (something like $100 million for one season) that they decided two seasons was enough. I'm hoping GoT doesn't fall into the same trap.

Actually, Rome wasn't canceled. It was planned from the beginning to run the length that it did and was scripted with that purpose. That is another reason why it was so good. They knew when it would end and didn't have to make up stuff along the way (like Lost).

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
Yeah, it's a shame that it's a universe with magic and dragons and all manner of crazy stuff but the trees have to be exactly like our trees, no ability to hibernate in the cold or anything else.

It's a shame, too, that said magic and physics that are clearly not identical to ours still make it impossible to store food for a decade.

Makes you wonder why the author would do that.
Actually, I thought of all that stuff. But after living through more than 60 New England winters I just ain't buyin' it. Call it a blind spot, or whatever, but that's how I feel about it. But that does beg the question of how people in places like Buffalo that get really severe winters feel about it?

Merkuri

Explorer
The entire continent is not covered in 100 feet of snow during winter, and I get the picture that 100 feet of snow is probably also a hard winter, which they do not get every cycle.

From reading the books it sounded like much of Westeros just gets really cold and dark but doesn't actually become paralyzed with snow. That part's limited to Winterfel and beyond The Wall, and it's why Winterfel folk are so dour and serious ("Winter is coming!" is their motto). They didn't talk much about what happens during winters in Winterfel, but if I recall correctly the peasantry actually retreat into nearby walled cities and just hole up there for the winter. I think one character described not being able to go outside during winter, just having to find ways to entertain herself while bathing in the hot springs that were the only thing that made the Winterfel fortress livable in winter.

Banshee16

First Post
Actually, I thought of all that stuff. But after living through more than 60 New England winters I just ain't buyin' it. Call it a blind spot, or whatever, but that's how I feel about it. But that does beg the question of how people in places like Buffalo that get really severe winters feel about it?

*Buffalo* has severe winters? Trying being in Iqaluit or Alaska :)

How we deal with winter is a state of mind. At its coldest, we go down to about -40 C here....but that might be one or two weeks out of the winter. And it's still bearable......but I'm not going for any polar bear swims :)

Of course, I love skiing, and that crisp, sharp feeling to the air when it's -20 and there's a fresh blanket of powder. Or even rising sun illuminating the glittering crystal that encases the trees after a bout of freezing rain. There's a beauty to winter. In a lot of ways, I like it better than summer.

And then some people hate it and just head south for the winter.

I never really thought that GRR Martin was saying that they were getting mile thick ice sheets. The whole "winter is coming" thing might pertain to a climate that is a little more swingy than our current climate. More like what Europe was like in the Little Ice Age.....it could still mean a colder than normal period, with true winter lasting longer than normal....say, snow hitting in September/October, and sticking around until May/June. Leave a very short/cool growing season.

Doesn't mean the trees are covered in ice sheets.

For that matter, even if the trees *were* covered in ice sheets, they grow back. It really doesn't take that long. They cleared out forests near my cottage about 15 years ago, and at this point, they're almost grown back......It was down to stumps and ferns and shrubs etc. but the surrounding forest, led by fast growing poplars came in very quickly, filled in the area, and now those trees are like 30' tall, and slower growing trees like pines, spruce, and maples are all starting to come back in as well. It's not returned to an old growth forest.......it hasn't grown that much...but for all intents and purposes it's an actual forest again.

Deep snow wouldn't really take that long to accumulate....depending on temperatures. There was a winter about three years back that was just brutal. Wasn't even super cold. Just consistently in the 0 to -15 range. The snowbanks were over my head, so that's over 6' tall, and that's after maybe a month or so. Some areas of the country had homes with snow accumulated up to the roof. Despite all that, despite the face that most of our garden plants, shrubs and trees were pretty much buried for weeks or months at a time, they didn't die. When spring came, the snow melted, and the plants woke up. They're pretty resilient. Would Westeros be any different?

Without snowblowers and ploughs and such, I'm sure it wouldn't be that difficult to get a pretty deep snow pack. And people have lived here for thousands of years before Europeans. Populations would be smaller, of course, and agriculture would be a lot more difficult, but if Westeros had periods where the climate would cool several degrees for spans of 10 years, I could envision a massive drive to try and stockpile food and livestock in advance of the cool down. Then, once it hits, the summer shortens to maybe 2-3 months, winter lengthens to 7 months, and people grow what food they can during the short summers, and maybe you have widespread famine as the years go by. Then, things warm up again after a few years, the full growing season comes back, and populations rebound.

In any case, humans are pretty resilient. Without modern technology, we spread across this planet very effectively. Populations are higher in milder climates....but people still lived pretty much everywhere except Antarctica.

Banshee

Cyronax

Explorer
Actually, Rome wasn't canceled. It was planned from the beginning to run the length that it did and was scripted with that purpose. That is another reason why it was so good. They knew when it would end and didn't have to make up stuff along the way (like Lost).

Rome was also one of the best shows I've seen realistically show the changes time has wrought on a character.

The character development alone in that series is phenomenal as a case study in dramatic writing.

LightPhoenix

First Post

Buffalo (95") gets more snow on average than Juneau (84") and Anchorage (60"), and slightly more than Iqaluit (93"). Syracuse, on the other hand, trumps them all (121"). :)

As far as temperature goes; Syracuse, Juneau, and Buffalo are all fairly similar, with Anchorage a bit colder. Iqaluit is by far the coldest; but that's to be expected in an arctic climate.

Of course, if you want to go certifiable, you have to visit Amundsen-Scott Station, or at least McMurdo Station. Which I hope to do some time in my life.

Last edited:

TanisFrey

First Post

Buffalo (95") gets more snow on average than Juneau (84") and Anchorage (60"), and slightly more than Iqaluit (93"). Syracuse, on the other hand, trumps them all (121"). :)

As far as temperature goes; Syracuse, Juneau, and Buffalo are all fairly similar, with Anchorage a bit colder. Iqaluit is by far the coldest; but that's to be expected in an arctic climate.

Of course, if you want to go certifiable, you have to visit Amundsen-Scott Station, or at least McMurdo Station. Which I hope to do some time in my life.
Not to mention how the winds come off Lake Erie causes most of the snow in Buffalo to fall south of the city most of the time. I live in the "North Towns" of Buffalo and tent to get just 1 to 3 inches of snow when the forecast calls for the "South Towns" of Buffalo get 6 to 12 inches.

All do to geography causing the wind blowing off lake Erie to dump the majority, ~2/3 of snow/rainfall south of Buffalo.

Remove ads