• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 'Game of Thrones' fans: what kind of weapon does Oberyn use?

Roger

First Post
As far as I can recall, he's not described as throwing it, nor does it generally sound throwable, so I probably wouldn't classify it as a spear.

Any of the heavy reach weapons are probably fine.

Minsc

Explorer
Yeah, I'm thinking Glaive, but able to choose between piercing or slashing. Probably masterwork quality (does that exist in this edition?).

I just thought the cinematic aspect of him twirling it above his head, as well as deceptively attacking once by kicking it was really awesome.

I tend to describe my attacks, and he just looked like a Battle Master using Manuevers.

As far as I can recall, he's not described as throwing it, nor does it generally sound throwable, so I probably wouldn't classify it as a spear.

Yeah, I'm thinking Glaive, but able to choose between piercing or slashing. Probably masterwork quality (does that exist in this edition?).

Most spears were not thrown; that's actually why the javelin was invented. Also, spears reaching eight feet wasn't that uncommon and they were definitely not throwable.

It was definitely a spear he was using, given both the design of the weapon and the specific fighting style he had to learn for using it (glaives use a different training regiment and combat style).

The problem is the D&D spear poorly emulates the weapon used. The trident is even worse being just a crap weapon all around, a glaring oversight in game design.

Glaive is probably the closest approximation, since that gives you the tricks you'd want with the polearm feat. add the finess property and you're good to go.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
The problem is the D&D spear poorly emulates the weapon used. The trident is even worse being just a crap weapon all around, a glaring oversight in game design.

Glaive is probably the closest approximation, since that gives you the tricks you'd want with the polearm feat. add the finess property and you're good to go.

As an accurate emulator of historical warfare and combat its a notch above the card game War,

You can still approximate it with the in-game spear. Just never throw the spear.

The key to that is the "versatile" property the DnD spear has. That allows you to wield it as a two-handed melee weapon.

It would be vastly better if they added long spears back to the game, though.

Also, why is the finesse property necessary? There was no finesse fighting involved in the Game of Thrones spear scene. The guy was only using very basic spearfighting moves.

Last edited:

To me, he was emphasizing speed over strength. Oberyn was pretty clearly dex based... and to me at least he looked pretty badass!

As a side note, having not read the books and managing to stay spoiler free, I totally flipped out at the resolution of the fight to my wife's amusement, who had read the books.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Yeah in the book Tyrion was quite dismayed when the Viper was going to fight the Mountain wearing light scale armor and using a spear. Alas arrogance was his undoing.

Remove ads