Game of thrones setting

TheSword

Legend
Let’s be clear you absolutely can make a 5e low magic setting and I echo Vincegetorix’s suggestion to use the Adventures in Middle Earth system. It really is very similar to the existing rules but strips out 97% of the magic.

Suggestions
- avoid the scholar as a player class unless you do some work, it is not at all balanced against other classes
- resist the urge to allow the players to be more fantastical - children of the forest, warlocks etc. otherwise you may as well not play in a low magic setting.
- Game of Thrones is loosely based on the War of the Roses. There are a lot of resources and information out there about historical events and life that may give the feel of GOT without having to copy events straight from the book.

Arilyn

Hero
If you're willing to not use 5e, Pendragon could work. There's a system in the game for character passions which would work well. Game of Throne characters are all about their drives and passions after all. Magic is mysterious, and not in the hands of PCs too.

Daniel Amaro

First Post
I think i'd like to attempt to mash up 5e with new ideas such as a signaler class that has much more customization such as letting the player pick there saving throws and two starting skills making action surge a universal trait and fighting style. making the only race human but having a racial ability modifier being plus 1 to two ability modifiers. allowing a single race more options in rearguards to stat priority. Another addition i believe that fits the setting and makes up for the lack of magic and things most 5e players are use to is the "quality" system. Qualities not only give stats and features but also makes your character interact with the game differently. For example the feature “intimidating presence”not only gives you a ability on your character sheet but also changes how your character interacts with the world around them making qualities more than just a stats. i hate to change the 5e rules to much and ruin a good system but make changes that fit the setting and allow something different for players

Last edited:

Remove ads