• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Game Room

The_Universe

First Post
So, in our new apartment we have a "library" room that's going to double as game space. I've posted asking for input on the "main" boards before, but I thought I'd ask those of you still playing your specific ideas/requests:

In the past, we've all gamed in a variety of locations. We've had basement coffee tables, abandoned windows on cinder blocks, kitchen/dining room tables, dorm room floors, etc.

Well, this time we get our pick of the litter - we can set up what we consider to be a basically ideal game space, and the only limit is the Bauman pocketbook, and the physical dimensions of the room.

At the moment, I'm favoring a "low" table of some sort, probably a big coffee table over a higher "kitchen" style table. There's a certain benefit to sitting "up" to the table, but by and large this group seems more used to the more casual approach. Chairs/couches will probably not all be present from the beginning (there's the limit on our pocket books) but I was wondering what you all thought (in general terms) we ought to pursue. :)

So, start brainstorming!

Kanegrundar

Explorer
We tedn to game around a high table like a kitchen table. This is mostly because two of my players have bad backs and need chairs that are both comfy and easy to get in and out of.

If any in your group is getting on in years, comfy chairs are a must.

Kane

I'm definately a bigger fan of the low table/couches set up. It's much more laid back and comfortable - especially if we're playing for longer periods of time. A high table and chairs has it's benefits and allows for more direct access to the mat, but having experienced both - I prefer the comfort of couches. :)

Kanegrundar

Explorer
Queen_Dopplepopolis said:
I'm definately a bigger fan of the low table/couches set up. It's much more laid back and comfortable - especially if we're playing for longer periods of time. A high table and chairs has it's benefits and allows for more direct access to the mat, but having experienced both - I prefer the comfort of couches. :)
So do I, but thanks to the bad backs in my group, I don't get the opporotunity to do so. Comfort is nice, and I'm better on the couch, but for others it just won't fly.

Kane

Aeson

I am the mysterious professor.
I never got used to the coffee table and couch style. I vote would be for a big high table and some comfy chairs. No distractions either. I game with a group where the DM has a wife and kids in the same room doing their own thing including watching TV. It is had to game that way.

cuteasaurus

First Post
I guess I'm a little confused on what you're asking for...the low table vs high table could be debated but it sounds like you've already made up your mind on that pt. What other types of issues are there?

cuteasaurus said:
I guess I'm a little confused on what you're asking for...the low table vs high table could be debated but it sounds like you've already made up your mind on that pt. What other types of issues are there?
He's asking what our players prefer. So - what do *you* like best?

cuteasaurus

First Post
Ok, well I prefer high tables. I think a high table with squishy-er chairs would be best, but I'd rather have a high table with normal chairs than a low table set-up. However, I suspect I am in the minority in this respect.

Last edited:

The_Universe

First Post
cuteasaurus said:
Ok, well I prefer high tables. I think a high table with squishy-er chairs would be best, but I'd rather have a high table with normal chairs then a low table set-up. However, I suspect I am in the minority in this respect.
Yes - I'm *mostly* interested in what the existing gaming group would prefer for a gaming surface.

cuteasaurus said:
Ok, well I prefer high tables. I think a high table with squishy-er chairs would be best, but I'd rather have a high table with normal chairs then a low table set-up. However, I suspect I am in the minority in this respect.
I've done almost all of my gaming at low tables with couches... so - that's what I identify as the "gaming" setting. I've only gamed at a dining table a few times and it's always been very uncomfortable...

As such - I'm just wondering what you think the advantages are. Why do you prefer the high table, Clarissa? A look at your perspective would be very helpful. :)

Remove ads