Gamehackery: Campaign Manager Features

Morrus noted a Kickstarter this week -- for Realmworks -- that put me on the scent of thinking about software and tools for campaign management. I've mentioned a few tools in the past, and there have certainly been plenty of other reviews and articles written about this sort of topic in the past, so lets start off from a different angle. What do we really want? The mistake we often make...

Morrus noted a Kickstarter this week -- for Realmworks -- that put me on the scent of thinking about software and tools for campaign management. I've mentioned a few tools in the past, and there have certainly been plenty of other reviews and articles written about this sort of topic in the past, so lets start off from a different angle.

What do we really want?

The mistake we often make looking for a service or tool to solve a problem is that we don't always start with a clear idea of what actually need. We get a lot of functionality and tools that the developers can do, but not necessarily what we need. So lets talk for a few minutes about what an ideal campaign manager would do for us.

• Content Development - We need a tool that's good for writing. For the foreseeable future, our game development notes will need to be text. With illustrations of some sort, but mostly text. The tool should be easy and intuitive.
  • Connections - We need to be able to have connections between content. A piece of content about a location should have connections to the NPCs that are found there, to the missions or quests that involve that location, to the information that the PCs might gather in that location, and so on. Creating those connections -- and using them -- should be fast and easy and intuitive
  • Multi-platform/Cloud-based - In the Dropbox era, we need to be able to access our game information in multiple locations and multiple devices.
  • Mobile Friendly - We should be able to use the content -- if not created it -- through mobile devices like tablets and phones. This is very important when combined with the ability to publish content to the players -- if they can access it on their phones and tablets, then they have that sort of reference information easily available to them at the game table.
  • Publish to Players - We need to be able to share some of the content with the players. It might even be good if players could comment or contribute to the campaign, but we all know how rare it is that players would actually take advantage of that sort of tool.

There are other features that we might want in a campaign manager -- some options that some GMs will use, and others will not. For example

• Mind Maps/Brainstorming Tools - I don't find these especially helpful, but others like them.
  • Calendar Tool - Some GMs like to keep track of their game in relation to a calendar -- and having one that was flexible enough to reflect the various game world calendars would be an added bonus.
  • Random Generators - NPC names, Tavern or Ship names, etc. Sometimes "Bob the Orc" just doesn't cut it.

Does it need to be Built for Gamers?

There are a handful of campaign management tools out there that have been created for DMs especially. Those tools have some distinct advantages -- they can be customized for our needs, have interfaces that invoke the feel of the game worlds, and so on.

At the same time, because they serve a much smaller market, there are levels of programming slickness and functionality that are much more difficult for gamer-developers to produce. Tools designed for more general uses can be a lot more polished and full-featured, even if they are not specifically designed for our needs.

And The Perfect Tool Is?

Well.....now....that's a tricky question. We are not going to find one tool that has everything we want. We'll have different priorities, some different needs and tastes, and will never agree on exactly what we want.

And, of course, don't forget the potential for the Apple effect -- a product that's so good and innovative that it has features we didn't know we needed. I don't think that's happened yet in this area, but anything's possible.

No, Really, Shut Up And Tell Me What I Should Be Using

Well, Realmworks isn't out right yet, but based on it's Kickstarter page it's going to have a lot of key features that will be really important. I'm especially impressed by the one-click publish option they describe in the project video -- click a button on any piece of content and you expose it to your players for their reference.

They're planning to package the software with a cloud-based service that would make that published content available to players -- and that's critical. I'm especially pleased with the one-click interface to make a piece of content public -- when you start talking about a lot of small pieces of content from a game session -- items, NPCs, locations, etc -- every extra click adds a lot of effort to making content public.

EN World has a Campaign Manager tool that is available free to users -- combine that with the powerful forum resources here and there's a pretty good argument to be made for giving that a try -- especially if your players are all EN World regulars. There's a lot of advantage in not asking your players to go to a new tool or website to connect with your campaign information. However, the EN World Campaign Manager depended upon a lot of custom code that was lost in the Great Breach of 2012 -- so the current functionality is not a strong as it once was. Soon. Get thee to Kickstarter, heathens!

Obsidian Portal , though is probably the current leader of the pack for web-based custom-built campaign management. At it's heart, it's a wiki, but they've added some good functionality -- layers of content (DM only, and player-specific secrets -- which seems like it could have a LOT of utility).

The interesting difference for Realmworks will be that the DM interacts with it through a desktop client, for the most part. It uses cloud services to expose "public" content to players through a web site, but the content itself is built in a dedicated tool. That may be what they're most comfortable developing (Realmsworks is the latest project by Lone Wolf Development , developers of the multi-system character generator program Hero Forge), and it might be behind some of their usability advantages.

There are a wide variety of non-gaming-focused tools that work for this sort of development. I'm a fan of Evernote, Google Drive/Documents can work (perhaps in combination with Google Groups). I've read recently about a tool called MyInfo [http://www.roleplayingtips.com/url/myinfosite] (in Johnn Four's excellent Role Playing Tips email newsletter).

I haven't seen the silver bullet product yet -- and I'm supporting the Realmworks project and I'm looking forward to giving it a spin.

So, let's hear it -- what are the key features you need in a campaign manager? What's your favorite solution? Or is your old high school trapper keeper still good enough?

(image: Grosso_Spiral_Notebook by DamonGrosso on Flickr)

Psyga315

Explorer
Wow, that program seems interesting...

Though I can expect the guys to charge for usage of the program with a free demo like all other programs that are dedicated to campaign management or at least enforce some heavy restrictions on the unpaid versions.

jedavis

First Post
So far we've been using Obsidian Portal wikis, but once I get out of college I'm looking to set up a little ftp server in my apartment, with players having accounts on the machine and proper permission-setting so they can't see my notes, but will have access to certain resources on the machine (read/write as appropriate). I expect it will work wonderfully until the power or internet goes out... but I wanted to build a server anyways, so this is just kind of a "well, if I'm going to have that around, I may as well use it for this too." Does pretty well except for mobile-accessible; content creation is achievable with one's favorite text editor, connections are workable by either symlinks or a directory structure, not exactly cloud-based but definitely remotely accessible and multi-platform, and player-publishable via permissions. Random generators by way of python scripts work pretty well too. There is some setup cost and overhead, but I think the fine-grained control might be worth it.

HinduReal

First Post
I think the single most important component for me is a multi-dimensional approach to handling / finding single data-entities. Sounds technical, so let me explain:

Say, I have a certain NPC "Joe".
This Joe is an inhabitant of my City A.
City A
lies in Country 1.
Therefore, Joe is a NPC of Country A.
Also, Joe told the PCs about "Super important incident #1" (henceforth to be known as SII1).
Accordingly, Joe is related to SII1.

I think / hope that you get the idea.

If I can create those multi-dimensional relations between objects, what I can then do is filtering. Dare to know every NPC in City D that knows about SII5 and has dated the (rather promiscuous) Lady Ray? No problem with a smart system.

This, obviously, becomes more important with increased campaign-size. As long your campaign is based in one city, it is rather simple. As soon as it becomes world-spanning, you better have a great tool.

Since it appears to me as if the aforementioned Realm Works might be capable of that, I backed it as well. For the time being I am using Microsoft's OneNote. It's similar too MyInfo, probably not as powerful in some regards but ahead in others (f.i. usability). OneNote is far from perfect, but with a thought through logic it becomes quite good.

Vicente

Explorer
I don't understand the cloud thing. If I want that, I can use Dropbox/Skydrive for that and not need the app creator to deploy their own custom service.

I also like the ability of being able to export easily the content I generate with the tool to common formats, so it is easy for me to share my work, and so I don't kill myself if the tool dies :S

Regards!

mgehl

First Post
For everyone interested, here's a Realm Works kickstarter update we wanted to share with you:

Gnome Stew, the most widely read game mastering blog on the planet, posted a review of Realm Works on their site. We’re happy to share this objective, third party review of the software with you.

The review covers some of the key functionality from the perspective of veteran game masters. It’s a wonderful assessment of the power you’ll see in Realm Works when it’s released in July.

They’ve seen every nook and cranny of the software, and came away very impressed. Their review is based on the current version of the software that’s in the hands of our Beta team, not on prototypes, mockups, or anything similar.

Check out the review to learn more about how Realm Works and our Kickstarter will transform your RPG campaigns!

Last edited by a moderator:

CAFRedblade

Explorer
For everyone interested, here's a Realm Works kickstarter update we wanted to share with you:

Gnome Stew, the most widely read game mastering blog on the planet, posted a review of Realm Works[/URL] on their site. We’re happy to share this objective, third party review of the software with you.

The review covers some of the key functionality from the perspective of veteran game masters. It’s a wonderful assessment of the power you’ll see in Realm Works when it’s released in July.

They’ve seen every nook and cranny of the software, and came away very impressed. Their review is based on the current version of the software that’s in the hands of our Beta team, not on prototypes, mockups, or anything similar.

Check out the review to learn more about how Realm Works and our Kickstarter[/URL] will transform your RPG campaigns!

Just a note, your URL isn't formatted correctly for the Review you posted. I'm sure others and myself could figure it out, but here we go:
The Review

The URL's for the rest are also slightly misformatted as well.

mgehl

First Post
New Realm Works™ Videos Released!

Three new videos to demonstrate specific functionality within Realm Works have been published. Each one expands upon particular aspects of the software described in the Kickstarter video. Here’s a summary of what’s featured in each:

1. Basic Content via Topics. Topics encompass the people, places, things, and events of your world. This video shows how easy it is to establish a Topic and flesh out its details. We build an NPC as an example, and demonstrate how information about the NPC can be established in multiple ways. The video highlights the ability to incorporate external elements, like images or Hero Lab files, into the Topics you’re creating. The functionality around establishing tags for your content and Realm Works’ sophistication at automatically creating links are also on display. Finally, we show how you can disclose individual elements of your topics to your players.

2. Story-Driven Content. Realm Works offers unique capabilities to weave your story and content together as you evolve your world. Your ability to manage plots and storylines in a visual manner to accomplish this is highlighted in the video. We demonstrate the ease with which you can create a plot and establish its content. We also highlight how links are created and the use of plots while you’re playing the game to quickly move to relevant content.

3. Leveraging Maps. Maps in Realm Works provide powerful functionality for navigating through your world and can be revealed incrementally to your players as they journey across it. This video focuses on how you can use maps as a navigation tool and instantly access needed content. We show how easy it is to place pins on maps to represent places of interest, like a location or an encounter, and associate them with the relevant content. Finally, we show the power of our Fog of World™ technology and incrementally revealing content to your players using maps as an example.

We hope you enjoy the videos!

narayan

Explorer
I've been searching and reading up on what I can learn about campaign manager for this site. It would be nice to post up all my world data on the same site that hosts a popular forum to recruit players. I've been using Obsidian Portal for a while and its been ok, but difficult to learn for a non computer-guru like myself.

This Realm Works software looks cool, but I haven't heard any mention of how expensive it will be? If money is no option, there is lots of world building software available from ProFantasy Ltd. Remember them? You can buy everything they make for just $620! :eek:

I only knew one guy who bought a bunch of ProFantasy software and really wasn't able to learn how to use it very easily. (I don't blame him, neither would I) He spent much more time trying to use the software then actually creating anything with it and that's what I worry about with Realm Works, or Campaign Manager, or anything else... I'm already struggling with obsidian portal. Makes me long for the days when I wasn't running games online but meh... we do what we gotta do. :hmm:

So far we've been using Obsidian Portal wikis, but once I get out of college I'm looking to set up a little ftp server in my apartment, with players having accounts on the machine and proper permission-setting so they can't see my notes, but will have access to certain resources on the machine (read/write as appropriate). I expect it will work wonderfully until the power or internet goes out... but I wanted to build a server anyways, so this is just kind of a "well, if I'm going to have that around, I may as well use it for this too." Does pretty well except for mobile-accessible; content creation is achievable with one's favorite text editor, connections are workable by either symlinks or a directory structure, not exactly cloud-based but definitely remotely accessible and multi-platform, and player-publishable via permissions. Random generators by way of python scripts work pretty well too. There is some setup cost and overhead, but I think the fine-grained control might be worth it.

That's a really cool idea.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads