Gamer Radio Zero - Races: Choose the Races: D,G,G,H,S

Shado

Explorer
Drow is unlikely given a FR write up this year.

The same stands for Genasi. They'll be in the FR write up as well.

The same logic applies to the Shifter. Eberron write up next year.

Gnome is a definite. Wyatt's too quick on the draw with that first 'G' for not to be. Goliath and Githzerai are the logical choices for the other. Goliath is easily one the best splat 3.5 races, and really latched itself into the D&D unconscious. Githzerai are the best Psi race without being a human that isn't a human. So there's a solid argument for both.

I don't think the Dromite really connects well with many players. Really feels out of place in my mind. Duergar, however, fill the dark dwarf niche (continuing with the 'bad-boy' tone set by Tieflings) and are another race that's traditionally connected to Psi.

I'm torn on the H. Nothing stands out as more likely than another. Half-Giant maybe is Goliath isn't to fill the 'big-guy' roll. I'm not convinced that Half-Orcs will return. Hobgolbin, while a playable monster race... is just that... a monster race.

Shadar-Kai's the only S that seems to work atm.

I woudn't be surprise if the Assimar return. We know they're being re-envisioned and renamed. So they could easily be one of the letters. S or H imo.

StarFyre

Explorer
no...

I hope there is no drow or genasi in the PHB 2....they stated they will be in the FR player's book so let's not have a stupid 2nd write up for it.

Lets have something new.

Sanjay

Vael

Legend
Shado said:
I don't think the Dromite really connects well with many players.

I dunno, I've always wanted to play a Dromite, the little bugs just seem like fun. Only small race I've really wanted to play, halfling and gnomes don't interest me. But I've never had the opportunity (last DM was horribly anti-psi) and I couldn't justify the LA.

Shado

Explorer
Vael said:
I dunno, I've always wanted to play a Dromite, the little bugs just seem like fun. Only small race I've really wanted to play, halfling and gnomes don't interest me. But I've never had the opportunity (last DM was horribly anti-psi) and I couldn't justify the LA.

I said many players.

I think every race has it's fans.

Cirex

First Post
This list will be easy to guess once we got the Monster Manual. I wonder if Hobgoblin will be one of the races to get the options to make them PCs, like gnomes and so on.

dm4hire

Explorer
Shado said:
Drow is unlikely given a FR write up this year.

The same stands for Genasi. They'll be in the FR write up as well.

The same logic applies to the Shifter. Eberron write up next year.

But that is exactly why I think they will appear in the PHB2, consolidating all the rules into one book for playing them. Everything in the given setting will be setting specific for the race, i.e. in FR Drow live underground with penalties from light and interact with spiders while in Eberron they live in a jungle and interact with scorpions. The PHB2 will allow them to put all the various rules into one book so players who don't play those setting can have them available. I know I'd be a little ticked if I had to buy a book I didn't want just to get something I wanted to play. Drow are a core playable monster race, always have been, and belong in a core book so they will make the cut.

The whole reason for Races of Eberron, being a brown covered book in 3e, was to get the races out there to the masses who wanted them but didn't like the look of Eberron. That is what I see the core books doing with the most popular aspects of the game. So while there may be races/classes included in the settings which stay only in their specific settings the most popular which can be applied outside of it will go mainstream. This also encourages crossover as those who buy the PHBII and would like to play Drow but their DM doesn't have time to develop the world then they can play FR or Eberron.

I'll stand by my speculation as listed earlier, but will change the "H" to Half-giant as the race has been published before outside its original setting of Darksun.

Remove ads