Gamers! (a bit of a rant)

NewJeffCT

First Post
Another trick I haven't tried is to wear subtle rpg perephenalia around town. I've struck up conversations with quite a few gamers in unlikely places because they were wearing "that's how I roll" t-shirts and that sort of thing(ok, not exactly subtle).

Funny story: one gaming night with my old group I looked around the table and I think everyone except me had some kind of rpg themed t-shirt. Maybe it's time I finally broke down and bought one?

Tell you what, I'll buy one if you do. ;)

sounds like an idea.

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
IMy old gaming group is now 60-90 minutes away from my new home, so that's not really an option for them to drive.

Bwhah?!?!

An hour is typical around here. Though in the Greater Chicagoland Area that only gets you 20-30 miles, so maybe that's the difference.

On the serious side. Have you checked for places that host gaming that would allow you and your old group to meet half way? I know gaming in a FLGS or other (semi-)public area is less comfortable and less convenient than home, but it sounds like it might be worth the hassle. Especially if the old group are Friends instead of Gaming Associates.

NewJeffCT

First Post
Here is a t-shirt I like...

5166885_700b.jpg

MACLARREN

Explorer
You say you have a group where you used to live and it is inconvenient to get together and to far away. Have you tried to run a game with fantasygrounds and skype?

Our group is spread pretty far with all of us ranging from Philly to Pittsburgh and we have one player in San Diego with a total of 8. About 5 of us play weekly on Wednesday nights using FG and Skype to play test changes to our ruleset and have a weekly campaign. It is as close to playing face to face as you can get. I would highly recommend giving it a go with your old group if they would try.

I am lucky in that the majority of our group has gamed together since the mid 80's. That consists of 5 with our DM. We have also picked up 3 players via our DM from buddies in the Navy, my brother in law, and a friend of the DM. Our group is solid at 8 including the DM. Having a super star DM does help keep it together. But with the distance issues, we get together 2-3 times a year for marathon sessions running from Thursday evenings until Sunday Morning. They work great and campaigns stretch a 2.5 to 3 years. Fortunately, we have all been able to commit and love what we have. We will play in to our old age and have all agreed on that one. Even with 3 kids under 4, I have been able to swing it. Just a thought and if your group you had was worth it, give FG a whirl and try to mix in a weekend overnight session 2-3 times a year. If I did not have the group we have, I probably would have hung it up a long time ago, but now I enjoy playing more then ever due to the commitments and superb gaming sessions we have. Good luck!

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
Additionally, you could set up gaming days/weekends. Some of my groups only meet 3-4 times a year but then we play for a weekend. Gets as much done as 2 times a month.

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
But with the distance issues, we get together 2-3 times a year for marathon sessions running from Thursday evenings until Sunday Morning.

About the same here, Thursday evening to Sunday evening. Do you meet at each other's places or rent a space?

We usually meet in small hotels with discount prices.

MACLARREN

Explorer
We've met and played in hotel rooms with one session. It was fun. Rearranged the entire room with taking out beds and putting in tables etc. We have also rented a local Jaycee hall that was dirt cheap and big and stayed there as well. However, we now pretty much have a basement in one of the players homes that will be our go to arrangement going forward. His kids are older and wife likes us there and never bothers anyone. Nice to see you guys do the same sort of thing. These sessions like that are a blast. They go by to quick though.

Remove ads