• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gamers: Do the non-gamers in your life understand you? (rant)

Roderick

First Post
Shadowdancer said:
Another possible reason for my wife not wanting to buy me gaming stuff could be part of her upbringing. Both of her parents were deceased by the time she and I met, but I get the impression that she was raised to be fairly practical. Things you buy should be practical.

I think, that's main problem. All of my girlfriends, that didn't approve of my gaming habits, were of this practical no-nonsense sort. O.k. there was this overly possessive controlfreak/nutcake, who toppled my game shelf, when we were breaking up, but that's another matter.

I think, it is an educational thing. Boys are from early on encouraged to go out, and competed with each other, by the means of sports or other games. Girls on the other hand are encouraged to become practical, and learn the trade of efficient housekeeping. Killing all understanding for something so impractical like gaming for gamings sake in the process. I'm not saying, that I approve of this, quite the contrary, we rob us of 50% of our potential. Among the about twenty people I roleplay with at the moment are only two women.

Let me give you another example. Before I started roleplaying, I was pretty involved in one of our local chess clubs. Among the dozens and dozens opponents I met at tournaments over the years were perhaps 4 or 5 women, and I got the impression, that most of them were there because of their boyfriends or s.o. and not because of the game, that they were playing rather listless.

At the moment I'm again dating one of these practical women. So far my gaming habits are arousing only mild amusement.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Shadowdancer:

Consider the opinions in this post as equally worthless as all other internet opinions you have thus far been exposed to. :D But I do have some suggestions of things to try, if you think they might work.

My wife also had a practical upbringing, and it has been recently over the past few years that I have managed to drag her out more into participating in hobbies that she likes. Most people have a hobby they enjoy, even if they don't particiapate in it, but a lot of times, practicalities in life force us to drop them for a time; sometimes, the dropping becomes permanent, and it forces a big chunk of what makes us unique from others, out fo our lives. The trick is to NOT let it happen, but if it does, patience and understanding of others who care about us are necessary to encourage us to pick it back up.

Your wife loves sports, aparently a lot. One thing I have always brought up to sports fans who do not understand RPG's, is to remind them that Sports Fandom is one hobby that is HEAVILY reliant on stats. Anyone who has the determination to memorize their favorite player's yearly and career performance stats, can certainly understand why we would want to learn lots of rules, or Player Character stats.

More on this later.

Lalato

Adventurer
Henry...
that's a good point.

Shadowdancer...
ever thought of playing a Sports based game with your wife? There are a couple of sports based card games, but the granddaddy of all sports based games is the Strat-o-matic series of games.

http://www.strat-o-matic.com

Another thought on sports based games... ever thought of playing fantasy sports... like fantasy baseball. I've played for a few years and it's a lot of fun.

Take care...

officeronin

First Post
buzz said:

Gaming, as all-consuming and fun as it is, simply cannot take priority over family and earning a living. As a gamer, you need to make it clear to your S.O. that, despite gaming often being a very time-consuming activity, it is not as important to you as they are.

For as much sympathy as I have for Shadowdancer, I also admit to thinking, "Well, after calling around, why didn't you just give up and order the game from somewhere? Why get so bent out of shape about this?"

I agree! My wife and I have it worked out -- I go and game on Sundays while she watches her (American) football game. (I'm a football widower...) If I wanted a gaming item for Christmas, I'd just ask her for a gift certificate to my favorite gaming store -- it's easier than explaining what I'm looking for!

Where I don't agree is that she refuses to enter a gaming store. What's that about? It may not be her favorite, but I've been dragged into lots of Hallmark stores without a chirp of complaint.

In any case, the real issue is that you feel that she looks down upon you because of you interest in D+D. Find out if it's true, and then deal with that issue.

OfficeRonin

mythago

Hero
Why get so bent out of shape about this?

Because the "this" is not gaming. It's a hobby and an interest one loves, that one's SO sneers at and treats with contempt. Doesn't matter what that hobby/interest/activity is--when your SO passive-aggressively yanks your chain about it, you have an issue of love and respect to deal with. (Namely, that your SO lacks those things.)

Of course gaming should not trump real life. If the problem is that your SO feels s/he comes second to your character, that is a problem YOU must deal with. But again, it isn't gaming. It would be the same for sports, cosplay, square dancing, Civil War re-enactment, whatever.

roderick, no offense, but that is *so* silly. Go watch a bunch of girls play fairy princess and tell me how "practical" girls are...

Wylan

First Post
Some of my non-gaming friends and family are skeptical about my hobby. When new people I meet find out I play DnD most ask "Why". I always give them the same response. I ask if they have a good imagination, almost all say yes, who wants to be known as uncreative. I ask them if they know anything about Knights, Wizards, Elves, Hobbits, and general medieval life. Usually followed with a "Yes". I tell them playing DnD is like reading a novel, except you get to determine the outcome of the book, you are playing the story. I will describe an encounter for them.

Pretend you are a Knight, you and your friends have been walking through a winding mountain pass all day. The air is cold and crisp. The cold cuts through your clothing from the ever-present gusts of wind. You are weary from the day's travel. The anticipation of a hot meal and rest is consuming your thoughts. The mountain pass you are currently travelling is narrow and you have to walk single file. The mountains rise up on both sides, and there are large rocks guiding your path. The path makes one of its frequent turns, on your left side, the mountains seem to open up before you and you see a beautiful valley with a river running down the center. You are admiring the view. Then suddenly, out of the corner of your eye, you notice something moving. You turn to look, there are two very large wolves twenty feet ahead blocking your path. They begin to growl, you hear more growling behind you, and you turn to see two more behind your group. The lead wolf begins to charge and the others follow his lead. What do you do?

They usually ask a bunch of questions, like do I have a sword or bow. I tell them what they would normally carry. Then they give me an answer, I pull my sword and attack. I tell them that when it becomes a combat board game. I put figures on a grid map designating players and monsters. They can move and do certain actions in turn. Most think it is pretty cool, some even want to try playing.

Like most hobbies, people don't understand if they are not into your thing. I am fully restoring a 1972 SS Chevelle. Body off the frame, thing was in a 1000 pieces in the garage. I am replacing or painting every part. Someone asked me why I was putting so much money and time into such an old car. Then I showed her a picture of a mint '72 Chevelle, then she understood.

My other half did not game when I met her, but she supported my habit. She gave me DnD books for Christmas and my birthday. She reads a lot, so I gave her the Dragonlance series to read followed by the Drizzt books. She started playing Baulder's Gate on the computer and now she plays in the Wed game I run. Sometimes you have to be patient and sneaky, as someone already pointed out, to get your other half to start playing DnD. She still doesn't like strategy board games, but she never will like that type of game.

Wylan

First Post
buzz said:

And she didn't run screaming?

*ducks*

:D

Buzz,

She did, you might have seen her in your back yard. She ran all the way from Bolingbrook, IL and ended up in downtown Naperville. The police called and I had to come get her.

We are neighbors. The internet makes for a small world.

hammymchamham

First Post
I don't talk about gaming with my co-workers. With my family, they seem to encourage it. Last 2 birthdays and christmases have brought DnD books from my parents. I'm sure they see it as 'dorkish' but instead of seeing it as a bad thing, they have seen it net me friends after moving 5 months ago.

PS. I'm in Naperville myself. Small world.

Last edited:

Remove ads