• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gamers in Minneapolis area

Chimera

First Post
I'm not *necessarily* looking for another game - I'm playing in two right now. But I'm posting this for three reasons;

a> I'm just generally interested in contacting other gamers in the Minneapolis area and am open to playing another game (either 3e D&D or CoC) on a once-a-month basis.

b> I am considering dropping my current CoC group, because it's a bit too insular. One of those cases where the wife and best friend of the Keeper (GM) seem to get all the activities centered on them and get all the rewards (The best friend's PC was actually *GIVEN* a copy of the Necronomicon as an Adventure reward...+shudder+), while the rest of us are (seemingly) there only to supply warm bodies for the table.

c> I am strongly considering starting up a new 3e game this fall (September or October), which would be on my own game world. It would be a medium-low magic/money campaign with a limited selection of races available (Human mostly; Dwarves uncommon, Gnomes and Halflings almost unknown, others unavailable).

Caveat: I don't have any interest in games where the typical PC is a Half-Fiend Minotaur multiclassed across 6 classes and 3 PrCs. If that's your idea of fun, just move along. Thanks.

Moltar

First Post
Another Gamer in Minneapolis huh? Well I would be instrested in seeing what we could work out. Really looking to play again for a while as I have been DMing for a long while and would like a little break from it.

Chad

Well, well...

I'm also interested in both new gaming opportunities as well as meeting my fellow enthusiasts. I'm currently in two games as well, but one isn't expected to last much longer.

I'd started to think that most gamers in the Twin Cities were 'clannish'. ie: If you didn't know someone in the game already, or stumble across a new group forming (rare), you didn't have much hope of finding a game. This is all especialy true if you don't live near any (known) gathering spots, like a game store with a 'game night'.

Hatchling Dragon

Corinth

First Post
Re: Well, well...

Hatchling Dragon said:
I'd started to think that most gamers in the Twin Cities were 'clannish'. ie: If you didn't know someone in the game already, or stumble across a new group forming (rare), you didn't have much hope of finding a game. This is all especialy true if you don't live near any (known) gathering spots, like a game store with a 'game night'.
The Twin Cities gaming scene is very much a clique-centered one. You have to make the effort to find others in the Cities who might be interested in your prefered style and subject of gaming; this can take a while, and it usually requires becoming active in the larger fandom scene to some degree. I flit about some of the college-centered cliques due to some personal connections with the members, and I maintain some awareness of the greater local scene due to regular trips to The Source.

At the very least, it requires maintaining some presence at one of the two poles of gaming in the Cities: Phoenix Games and The Source Comics & Games. Going to one of the local cons--CONvergence, MarsCon, Con of the North (but not MiniCon)--doesn't hurt at all and it may be quite rewarding. (Hell, I ended up joining the panel at the D20 System panel this past weekend at CONvergence 2002.)

We're out there, but we're neither advertise our presence nor make a big deal out things.

I thought I was alone. I'm North of Minneapolis a bit, but willing to commute due to the fact I don't have any partners out here :confused:

The only person I ever really get to talk about gaming is the large man at the source, with the black beard.

Conservative Cow said:
I thought I was alone. I'm North of Minneapolis a bit, but willing to commute due to the fact I don't have any partners out here :confused:

The only person I ever really get to talk about gaming is the large man at the source, with the black beard.

Funny thing, the group I play with (still too new to call them 'my group') meets in/around Anoka. I'm terrible with the 'burb names still. Unfortunately we've recently added 2 new players, and I don't think the DM wants to try handling more.

It's starting to look like we may end up with enough people here to perhaps start a 'small' (at first?) group. And, since we all seem to be a bit more 'open' than the average Minnesota gamer we could very likely attract more players as time went by. I still find it odd how 'clannish' Minnesota gamers are, yet how damned nice they almost always turn out to be, once you manage to get to know them a little bit.

Hatchling Dragon

I live right in Anoka. I'm just a casual gamer, so I don't fit well into the hardcore groups of young teens with blue hair , nose rings and parent issues around town.

I'll always have my EN boards tho! :D

radferth

First Post
mpls

As an outsider who has lived a few years, I find the nice-but-horibly-shy-of-strangers applicable to folks up here in general, especially gamers.

I run a game Saturdays at Phoenix games, alternating weeks with another fellow. We both go to lengths to welcome new players and walk-ins. Anyone looking for a Saturday evening game should feel free to stop by. Also, let me know if anyone has a midweek campaign with an opening. I could use some PC time as well.

Danny

Remove ads