• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gamers who want to date gamers

hellbender

First Post
Sparrow said:

I have a question for those following this thread though. Do you think that the BoEF (the Valterra product) will help or hinder gamers seeking gamers for more than gaming?

I agree with the violence as an outlet. And the BoeF is going to really geek up gaming. It is reasonable that people cannot go out and commit violent acts everyday (I would hope), but roleplaying sex is about as lame and geeky as it gets. Hopefully the book will die down quickly and die a fairly painless death. If you feel the need to roleplay sex (rpg-wise ;) ), you need step away from the books and go out into the world.

hellbender

Sparrow

First Post
Thanks for the replies, fusangite and hellbender.

I've been curious about the way BoEF has been received here on ENworld since the tempest that greeted Valterra's first press release. Then reading this thread, I thought maybe the rules that the BoEF will introduce might encourage flirting among gamers, albeit explicit flirting.

But then, I'm not sure why a bunch of male (presumably hetero) gamers would really want to do that kind of explicit flirting, with each other anyway. I mean given the usual male-female ratio that seems to hold true in the gaming world.

On a personal note, I don't see gaming as much of a psychological outlet for violence; its more an outlet for my swashbuckling tendencies that generally don't find expression in my 'real' life as an academic. But then I'm a romantic.

Quixotically yours,
Sparrow

hellbender

First Post
Sparrow said:
Thanks for the replies, fusangite and hellbender.

I've been curious about the way BoEF has been received here on ENworld since the tempest that greeted Valterra's first press release. Then reading this thread, I thought maybe the rules that the BoEF will introduce might encourage flirting among gamers, albeit explicit flirting.

But then, I'm not sure why a bunch of male (presumably hetero) gamers would really want to do that kind of explicit flirting, with each other anyway. I mean given the usual male-female ratio that seems to hold true in the gaming world.

On a personal note, I don't see gaming as much of a psychological outlet for violence; its more an outlet for my swashbuckling tendencies that generally don't find expression in my 'real' life as an academic. But then I'm a romantic.

Quixotically yours,
Sparrow

You bring up good points, Sparrow. Although I am not really bothered by the idea of the BoEF (just something I won't buy), it concerns me that some people here are rabidly anticipating this book. Different strokes, as it were, but erotic fantasy and dnd just don't work well. And even if people are curious, that is one thing, but the drooling few need to get outside more, get a little sun, interact with others.

hellbender

Wayside

Explorer
fusangite said:
Wayside, I've been trying to reach you privately since our previous correspondence on the armour donning thread. Unfortunately, the address listed in your ENWorld profile is defunct.

Holy crap. Sorry about that. I went to fix this last night and my account died until the new verification email got to me this morning. All should be well now. Gotta run my grandmother to physical therapy. Back soon. :)

Angcuru

First Post
Gamers dating Gamers to BoEF....wierd.

I didn't expect the BoEF to become a topic at all on this thread, to be honest. I think that if you need to add sex to your game, you're what most women would call pathetic. And that doesn't help when you're trying to get a date.

I'll probably just skim through the BoEF at the local Gaming Store just out of curiosity, but I probably won't end up purchasing it. The day I find it crucial to include detailed rules for sex acts in my D&D game is the day I swallow my dice bag. Rules for the aftereffects of sex, such as pregnancy, is where, and ONLY where the G.U.C.K. comes into play for me. If a player gets too focused on his/her character being a sex fiend, slap them with a pregnancy, and that'll teach 'em to curb the libido in the future.

But the BoEF, that's just a few scores of embarrassments waiting to happen.

Wayside

Explorer
Doc Ezra said:

At least you come by your intellectual snobbery honestly. :p

But honestly, for someone very adamant about how everyone has missed the point, why is it that you want to attribute more stridency to the "we'd like to have some common interests" position than the original authors?

Sigh. I'm going to play a little game. Pretend this is your favorite band's messageboard, and that somebody said they just want a girlfriend that likes the same bands they do.

*begin funny*

You seem to be glossing: my point isn't that I'm super cool guy and most people who listen to this band are insignificant little nerds, it's that I don't have anything in common with most of them; that no two people necessarily have anything at all in common just because they listen to the same genre of music. That is a fact that does not pass judgement.

The people at Amoeba Records have never heard of Athas, or Lordaeron, or Arrakis; Cerilia, the Io’s Blood Island Chain, Abeir-Toril, Oerth, Tellene, Scarn, Aryth, Rokugan, or any of the other worlds which my imagination dawdles in on any given day.

They don’t know Fantasy Flight Games or Green Ronin. If they’re trendy maybe they own a few WotC products like the PHB and the DMG. At best they read Dragon and have probably seen the Dungeons and Dragons Movie.

They can tell me as little about Gargauth (which I expect) as Lolth or Cyric (which I expect them to know). Some of them think they know something about Raistlin and Lord Soth. That is annoying. They can’t tell the difference between Azrai and Belinik and Kriesha; Solinari and Lunitari and Nuitari; Hedrada and Madriel and Corean; and the God Emperor would be just lost on them.

It is unlikely any of them would ever throw Aeschylus at me in an argument about the elements of Greek Tragedy in Dune, or realize the connection between House Atreides and Agamemnon, or between Leto II’s transformation through the sandtrout skin and the evolution of the Dragon Kings of Athas.

I won't drone on; I think this is sufficient to make my point. If I was spending more time in Berkeley than Sacramento, I might be more into meeting people at concerts, Gilman Street and all. My feeling that I have little in common with most fans isn't ex nihil though; I spent plenty of time at Cake and Deftones shows when I was in highschool, and that was only a few years ago. Besides, I have endless other more interesting interests.

*end funny*

Absurd, right? Laughable, right? EXACTLY. THANKYOU AND GOODNIGHT.

(I apologize if the subtlety of the original was lost in the illusion of arrogance, probably due to the fact I really don't like to hang out in game stores.)

Arravis,

I'd love to never see Sacramento again. You'll never get me out of Berkeley though ;) .

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads